name one habit that you feel has helped you significantly on this journey?

Options
For me, I feel that drinking plenty (and I do mean plenty) of water every day has helped me significantly. Even on those bad days when I have eaten more than I wished I did, when I have been well hydrated it really kept me feeling "less bloated" the next day, on track and feeling good!

Replies

• laffek
    laffek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This^^^ I am in 100% agreement with this. I aim for 10-12 cups a day. Anything less than 8 and I find myself giving in to cravings, thinking about food constantly, etc.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and weighing my food.

My food scale was one of the BEST purchases to help me reach my goals. :)
  • sliverqueen
    sliverqueen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Same here, ditching diet cokes and drinking water instead! I don't crave sweets anymore and I think that has something to do with it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Being brutally honest with myself and taking personal responsibility for all my choices
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Making the gym at noon a priority like any other meeting on my calendar - and eating healthy snacks at my desk throughout the day, instead of envisioning "lunch." Making sure I'm never hungry.
  • kaylaaah88
    kaylaaah88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Buying a scale and weighing in once a week. That was a turning point for me. Before I was scared to see the number and now I've accepted my weight and that I'm the one responsible for it. Also, getting up and going to the gym first thing was a big deal for me too. Now I love going and look forward to it even.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Being brutally honest with myself and taking personal responsibility for all my choices

^^^ This! :)

I'm now drinking 7 - 8 cups of water a day, and find that it really does help curb the munchies. What also helps me is small ice cubes. It adds to my water intake and having one in my mouth really seems to satisfy the craving to actually *have* something in my mouth. Not sure why it works for me, but it does!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention - I've read that a lot of times, food cravings are actually a result of being dehydrated, instead.
  • NinjaoftheBeastAjah
    Options
    Exercise whether I feel like it or not. Just get in the door of the gym. 9 times out of 10 I feel better once I get started and get a great workout.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Actually weighing my food is way up on the list. I bought my food scale almost 2 years ago and it became a dust collector until late December 2014.

Best habit is accurate logging. I'm more full now on less quantity food since paying attention to nutrition with logging. It makes me choose nutrient dense food most of the time.
  • kpkraft
    kpkraft Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Food scale all the way! Really knowing what a serving is can completely change things because you realize you've probably been over eating everything. What I used to think was a serving of cereal is really 2 and when I took the time to measure out the cheese I was putting on something, a serving was like 3x less than what I would typically use. Those little things add up and knowing is half the battle
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Three things because 1 isn't enough:
    1. Running daily, regardless of weather or what else is happening during the day.
    2. Being honest about what I eat. Logging food even on days I go over calorie budget.
    3. Planning meals in advance.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem has always been compulsion: I think about food, I eat food. Period. Having healthy alternatives ready has been a huge help.

One thing that really saves me is making sure I keep up with grocery shopping and always have fruits and veggies prepared and ready to go for snacks, breakfasts, etc. I'm now shopping twice a week because we run out of produce. I get lazy and won't peel an orange for a snack, but I'll gladly pull out a container of citrus sections or fruit salad. Same with veggies. I roast butternut squash, cauliflower and broccoli have them ready to go for those I get compulsive.

Oh, and also the OXO digital kitchen scale. It used to be in a drawer and I pulled it out once a week. Now it has a permanent place on the counter.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    logging. When I log I succeed. When I stop, I slide.
    Obviously MFP keeps me accountable but it goes beyond that.
    I keep a separate journal where I log my exercise and fitness workouts. Something so rewarding about filling up those pages makes me want to get back in the gym or hit the open road.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Working out. Exercise. Lifting Weights. Biking. Getting off my butt. Moving around. Walking.

I sit, I eat. I don't sit, I still eat, but the calories aren't nearly as detrimental.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I won't eat lunch until I have exercised.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Telling myself I don't NEED to eat what everyone else is eating and just following my plan. Not sure if this counts as a 'habit' :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I stopped seeing food as a form of entertainment and started eating the foods that give me the most energy for healthy entertainment instead.

Sadly the cupcakes were much cheaper. But someone gave me a bike and I found some rollerblades at the thrift store for six bucks, so I shouldn't cry too much. And I still have video games. ;)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food and logging everything.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my whole day in advance.
    Being patient and trusting that if I eat at my calorie limit I will lose weight.
    Not cutting things out of my diet, just eating less of some things and more of others.
    Drinking water and waiting a bit to see if I am really hungry or the feeling goes away instead of automatically reaching for a snack.