WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Meg: your DGD is at your house? Or have I missed something?

Not much to say today. Still having trouble with my back; I think I will press charges against that woman after all. I hope that doesn’t backfire, since she lives in the area and knows where my horse lives (so she knows where I am once in a while). I have seen her a couple of times since the incident.

Anyone knows why builders start at 7:30 a.m., make a lot of noise, and then are quiet for a while after 8? Why don't they just start later? <gnashing of teeth>

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    morning all,
    I woke up tired which I dont think is a good thing.. fitful nights sleep, and then woke up late so I am rushing around trying to get dinner and lunch done before I go check on DFIL and Faith (Jeans mom) then to work.. I know I need to take care of myself, but right now ,I will take it a day at a time...
    when I was young we watched,Captain Kangaroo,Hap Richards(local show)
    Bozo,Mickey Mouse Club,later it was Gilligans Island,Green Acres,Beverly Hillbillies,Brady Bunch,and all those type shows.. we would go to our grandparents ,both in the same town, one on saterday,one on sunday,,
    we would watch Lawrence Welk at my maternal grandparents,on sunday, my paternal grandmother who owned a nursery school would make us dinner,and we would play all day, and get in our footie pajamas, and watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom,will Marlin Perkins, and then wonderful world of Disney, then home we went.. had a wonderful childhood
  • kwilson51
    kwilson51 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good morning to you all. Thank you Janet, for your kind welcome. I did not have much time yesterday to give much info about myself….
    My name is Kim and I live in Central PA. The snow has finally melted but it is still too darn cold. I have been married 34 years; I have 7 kids and 9 grand kiddos. They are the loves of my life.
    I have always been on the thinner side until this crappy menopause kicked in in my mid 40’s. Now unless I am at the gym 6 days a week and watch very carefully what I eat and drink…..well let’s just say my pants keep shrinking in the attic.
    So here I am again, I have about 20 lbs. to lose and I am hoping I can accomplish this before summer. I started back to the gym and hubby and I are now trying to walk 4 days a week. Got lots of veggies and fruit last week (by by chicken wings – boo) Still need a glass of wine/beer every now and again but will try to limit it to one a week.
    I hope to check in very day and follow your successes and gather advice and support from you all. Thanks for letting me join your journeys.
    Have an amazing day!
    Kim
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was a TV addict even as a toddler. Did any of you watch Armchair Playhouse? It came on every day after the noon news and played movies. Loved the Loretta Young show and all the Abbot and Costello movies as well as Topper. Also, loved all the Shirley Temple movies and Mickey Rooney.

We had an antenna on top of the house and I remember climbing up a tree to the roof to adjust it hoping to get a better picture.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm off to be squashed and prodded. I am quite anxious since I seem to have to have a surgery every time I have a mammogram. I'll try to do a bit more catch up later.

Carol in NC
  • deborah99
    Options
    Hi. I wasn't sure how to join this group. Good luck today
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Welcome new Kim and Heidi. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia - the bylaws over here don't allow building work to start before 8 am. It used to make me laugh in London as it always started dead on to the second!

I've recovered from my tiredness with a good night's sleep. I was out like a light by 10pm. Didn't even hear DH coming to bed! Back to normal routine today - 600 cals exercise and editing my book.
    Today I'm making skinnytaste.com 's Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie. One of our favourite things. Yesterday I bought an enormous bunch of dill at a Turkish shop. The pie (not really a pie, really a savoury cake) is lovely with a lot of fresh dill in it. In the summer I grow it, but at the supermarket you only get a little for your money. I can freeze the rest.

Left a paperback at my son's house. I hope they will post it to me. I waited a whole year for the book to come out in paperback. Both of us enjoy the books about a French detective in the Dordogne area so I don't get it on Kindle.

Sunny here today, but chilly. Got the Saturday paper to finish off. I'm hoping my yoga friend won't cancel our trip and lunch out on Wednesday. I'm still smarting from my London friend cancelling, but I'll get over it. :ohwell:
    Got to pay the balance on the rental for our holiday in Wales in May. It's in an area called the Gower Peninsula. JOYCE! Have you got your ipad out? Really beautiful beaches and moorland. Dylan Thomas country.

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Hubs and I spent the weekend working on our "fixer upper" house. Sanding all the trim woodwork and installing new interior doors. Nothing in the house is square so having to do a lot of adjusting. Dust everywhere. Today is the last of the sanding I hope. Then we caulk and paint.

I was sick last week and still not quite up to par but better than I was. Change in seasons always seems to bring on a cold for me. Expecting one last woosh of snow today.

Down several pounds last week which is encouraging!

Have a great week everyone!
    Diana in NE Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    its been a day already,DFIL ate thank you lord, went up and did the drill with my SIL,then went to see my DB,who decided the sign himself out of the hospital..... looked in lobby, and he wasnt there, but called SIL and we both got there at same time. he started swearing at me so I left, will find out what goes on later on...and now to work...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
    momkim - you're right, it is a torture device.
    fanncy - that 3 lbs? ended up being sweat/water. i am at 133 as of this morning.

usually, Monday is the day when I take more stuff to leave at work for the week. this time I had extra stuff to take (bananas, protein powder, cereal, fiber bars, etc...) so riding to the gym and then the train station would have been a bit harder. I would have probably had to borrow his pannier and ride w/two. so I got smart and drove to work and dropped the crap off yesterday so I wouldn't have to tow anything this morning... smart huh!

I hear people talking about old tv shows.. well... I was brought up in a very traditional, strict Mexican household so there are a lot of shows I didn't watch as a kid. I do remember being made fun of because I liked the Lawrence welk show; the reason was I they thought I was trying to be or act "white" lololol...I didn't watch sesame street as a kid which is very popular, oh well.

today, took it easy on the workouts.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies, You can Be the reason someone smiles today.

Barbie, How nice to wake up and see your post first thing. Your visit with friends sounds like fun and the pizza sounds like a nice change. I’ll bet it didn’t even add any water weight. :)

Yannie, sorry for your loss but how nice that you have such fond memories of your cousin.

Pip, I just knew you had been at your goal weight so that was my concern. I know you would be fine weight wise without MFP but the question is, Would we be fine without you? And that answer is NO Way. So glad you are here!!

Mary, what fantastic results for only 3 weeks. You go girl! (*)

Heidi, welcome to this forum. I wish you great success in your journey.

Mary, I like spider solitaire too. When I take a break and have caught up with this thread, I always play a hand or few.

Lillian, my heart goes out to you and others that are still dealing with snow and ice. Hopefully it will be over for you soon. B)

Joyce, I’m so thrilled that you can boil an egg. LOL I’m far from a gourmet cook but learned to cook from my Mom who was a good Southern Cook. Now the problem is that I have to scale down/cut out some of the butter and gravies that I grew up loving. The nice thing is that I find new ways to cook things and on rare occasion find they are even better.

Kim, it’s wonderful that you are here with only 20 lbs. to lose and didn’t wait years and many, many more pounds like so many of us did. I’m sure you will be successful. And yes, we do have to give up a few things like chicken wings, but I still have my occasional cocktail, just not daily like before. :#

Carol, I hope “The Big Squeeze” goes off well and there is no surgery in your future.

Heather, I know how it hurts that your friend cancelled. I had a BFF that just started not talking to me or returning calls. I later found out it was from a deep depression caused by all 3 of her grown sons separating from their parents. We reconnected briefly before I moved and then she started not responding again. We were so close and did everything together and I thought we would always be close even if one of us moved. It’s been 8 years now and I still miss her terribly. :'(

Diana, Woo Hoo for your loss. I know that is encouraging! Way to go.

Allison, sending you ((Hugs)) for what you are going through with DB. My heart goes out to you. As my DH often says, “Some people you just can’t help”.

Pip, that was smart to take your load to work yesterday so you didn’t have to tow it. You are younger than I am because Sesame street wasn’t on TV when I was a kid. But boy howdy did I make up for it when my DD was little. And I enjoyed it even as a young adult.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Thank goodness I sleep well last night. I rained all night and is still raining so it's taking a little longer than usual to get the body lubed up. Arthritis is always worse in rainy weather. Had a good breakfast so now need to start some serious exercise. I stepped on the scale this morning afraid of what I'd see and was down 1 1/2 lbs. even after all that I ate the past 3 days. ;) I won't log it yet as it could all be back tomorrow, but I'll take it for now.

Have a positive day, ladies, whatever life throws your way.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oh, wanted to add that when I drove to work, I took one of the kids with me, I took Floyd and let him ride up front with me6df0oqh4lqyj.jpg

this is the Floyd man!
  • kwilson51
    kwilson51 Posts: 10
    Options
    Have any of you tried the book by Bob Harper jump start to skinny. I hate diets per say but these recipes are easy and it's three weeks. Easy shopping easy cooking and really great recipes. Even if you don't do it exactly, some greT Neal ideas.
    Kim (from PA)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    damnit - yup, I am fine with me. believe you me I will pack on some lbs if I think i'm getting too skinny.. I am still happy w/my new lowered weight. we are our own worse critics, i think we can all agree on that.

I don't know when sesame street started, I know that was just very popular. I will be 56 in may.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet in Myrtle Beach: DD has the capacity to will the world to be the way she wants it and overlook reality. I won’t let her talk me into this again unless she really needs help to take care of the kids. That wasn’t the case. Her DH was also home & sick, and was functional enough to be able to help.

Jannie: I’m sorry for the loss of your cousin. Looking at your list of favorite shows, I loved many of the same ones you did. Spin and Marty were at the top of my list. Marty was my favorite, as was Dobie Gillis. I loved Maynard. I loved all of them with the exception of Bertie the Bunyip, Sally Star, and Chief Halftown. I don’t remember them at all. Perhaps they were regional.

Mary from MN: Your inches lost stats are impressive. WTG!

Heidi: Welcome to a great group. Where are you from? With your love of cooking, I would recommend calorie counting and portion control as your best strategies, along with moving more. You can earn food by exercising.

Joyce: Poverty helping early in a marriage is something to consider. It didn’t seem to make our situation worse and did give us the capacity to face some adversity without falling apart. As to us dragging you along, there are plenty of times you have helped to drag me along. I think we all support one another. It is one of the most rare and valuable things about this group.

Kim: Welcome to a great group. Where are you from? We have another Kim and I'll want to be able to address you specifically. You can make big changes to your weight and health here, but it takes time. 1.5 to 2 pounds a week was doable and sustainable for me, and the lost weight hasn’t come back. Good luck to you.

Heather: I am so happy that you are over your tiredness. I’ll look forward to your spring travel reports from Wales.

Pipcd: Floyd has the sweetest face. Thanks for the picture.

I really hoped to be back at the gym today, but this headache is persistent and I don’t think the other people deserve being exposed to me. I’d like to ride my bike in the garage, but the lady who “repaired” my bike seat made it totally unusable. We took it back to be re-repaired. I may have to buy a new one, but DH wants to give her another shot at this one. The seats are expensive.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good Morning,

Joyce it also mentioned in that Parade article she (author of Happiness Project) uses MFP to log her food for the day, so we are in good company.

One never knows sometimes why a friend lets us down. What I try to do when this happens is to do something kind for myself like a yogurt facial, a nap, take myself out to lunch at Panera with a good book.

For myself I try not to overbook myself. When someone asks me to do something I say I need to check my calendar. Since I do not have a smart phone my calendar is at home. I have a lot less trouble saying no today. If I do say no I try to in a kind way. Often times I say this is not a good time for me.

If someone says no to me and if that someone is ill I do take that into consideration. I have a friend suffering from cancer right now where I will just call and leave an encouraging message and say I do not expect you to call me back. I know it is taking all her strength just to manage her cancer. Talking to anyone is just too difficult. That is when those caring bridge sites are so helpful.

Took taxes into our tax adviser today. We do it later because we do not get some our forms until March. Still waiting on our Property Tax statement. Good to get this far with them. I do what Barbie does I do about 20-30 min a day until they are done. Because I was so organized it only took 20 minutes to give her all our information. Without that organization it would take a least an hour.

2015 word: Strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
    damnit - I just re-read your post, lololol... would you guys be fine without me, lolololloll, damnit u r too much damnit! and YES you would be just fine without me, it was just be a little more boring :0)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, here we are, another week to decide to succeed or fail in what we say we want to accomplish. Welcome newbies, please keep posting and let us hear about your lives and please let us know (general or specific) where you live when you sign off.

Got the biopsy report.....basal cell carcinoma. Mohs surgery is the accepted treatment, usually done under local in office. I have the surgical consult 3/31; he does consults on Tuesdays....told the office person to keep me in mind if any cancellations come in for tomorrow. Of course there will be another wait between the consult and the actual surgery. Want this behind me NOW. I had been holding off mining the internet for info until I had the definitive diagnosis. Looked up the type of cancer, the dr., and watched the surgery on a youtube video. Even sticking to reputable sites the info is conflicting; one site says 4 to 8hrs. (OMG!!!!) for surgery, another 1 to 3hrs......I'm sorry, but that's a He!! of a big difference. The good thing is that the office is only about 15min. away and the dr. has training and a special certification to do this type of surgery on top of being a dermatologist.

Right now my main concerns are that the surgery may fall right when we are to be at the vet school for future student/family orientation and the awful fact that it's already 8 months since I first noticed the "pimple". I can't stress enough that it did NOT set off any skin cancer alarms; it just seemed like a pimple (bug bite, maybe, cyst).......there was no mole, no skin tag, nothing alarming.......just a "pimple" that would not come to a head. Located just under jaw bone about an inch from my ear lobe. It did not bother me and I did not (unfortunately) bother it until I got sick of it and started treating it with acne meds in Jan........then it opened but never healed up completely and I had my AHAAAA moment. Ladies; please, PLEASE learn from this!!!!!! I'm thinking maybe it's time to cut back on volunteer stuff, etc.......when you don't have time to pay attention to your body to this extent.

Mary.......WTG on those inches and pounds lost! Hope your SIL is out of pain by now.

Carol (peachst.).......Got my first smile of the day from the picture of you climbing the tree to fix antenna.

Carolnc.........Best of luck on your "squeeze".

Joyce......I'm with you on the "park the phone" policy.

Katla.......Those three shows were all out of Philadelphia and local so you wouldn't have known them.

Good eating day.......... so far.......V8 and steel cut oatmeal.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic, weak sunshine, 43......way too cold for this time of year.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Mary - forgot to say - WELL DONE on the weight lifting! :flowerforyou: I have always been intrigued by the amazing difference it seems to make to people's bodies and I am intrigued that you are doing it at home. I await further reports from you with interest. :D

Yannie jannie - big hugs for you with the upcoming surgery. ((( <3 ))) I'm sure you are kicking yourself, but I don't think any of us would have known what the pimple was. ;) Thanks for the info. I often get strange bumps, but they have always gone away again.

DH has finished my book and seems to think it is worth publishing. I'm just glad he didn't laugh it out of the house! Waiting to hear back from DS#1 about the cover.

Katla - DGD had a very runny nose and a deep cough. Watch this space! <3

Heather in UK
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Mon,guess spring is gone here.Woke up to SNOW!!about 3 in.
    HUGSjane