WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Busy busy busy day again. Took my mom for her doctors appointment - check up for her thyroid medication. ... I think I am going to hide at home tomorrow and maybe Saturday too. Kids and DGK's are coming for dinner on Sunday - everyone is off to their significant others house at Easter....
    -
    So ((((hugs))))) to everyone and goodnight...I am really tired.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Checking in and catching up… pages 36-42…. I will catch up ……………..some time!
    Aroar – welcome

Terri – good for you to be out doing the young ones!

Katla – I loved James Gartner too, I met him once at the AT&T Pebble beach golf tournament and he wasn’t as cute in real life.

LizPlus – welcome back… we missed you.

Vicki – sorry to hear about mom… sending good thoughts

Sylvia – glad you have a new dr. this one sounds like he is being through

Chris – congrats on the watch NSV – hang in there --- I am self employed too and worry about everything as a result… my saying for work is “Leap and a net will appear”

Alison – take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon, when and if the big D does happen, please don't feel you have wasted all those years. Look at your children, your dear grand children and all of the other things that have happened in your years with him Wasted? I think not.

Sylvia, I think I have only made one cake from scratch. Years ago I found a cake recipe in a magazine and decided to try it. It was called Mexican chocolate cake and was SOOO good. My husband said it is the richest chocolate cake he has ever tasted. It had kind of a caramelized type icing. I do have a recipe for Watergate cake that uses a white cake mix along with pistachio pudding that is also really good. See, I can cook some things!!! Loved the joke about the camping trip. Shows how we overlook the obvious.

Terri, a refrigerator in the living room, how tempting!!!! LOL

Cynthia, how nice of your Mom to send you that gift basket. Means even more since she is not known for a spontaneous gift like that. Enjoy it

Carol, my mother in law was in a nursing home once, finally convinced us to let her be in an apartment again which meant we had to buy all new furniture. Her dream was always to go back home. But then she finally started to call Pine Haven home. When my youngest got married she was so excited to be able to get out for a long afternoon to go to the wedding, reception etc. The nursing home got her make up on, pretty dress and everything. Her mental health, way crazy, did not allow her to go to my oldest daughters wedding.

Mary, loved your beautiful grand fur baby, I bet that quilt belongs to him/her. It looks like it would be fun to pull him around on the hard wood floor on it!!

Rori, I would love to go to a garage sale at your house. I bet you have some really neat things that could go for a pretty penny at an auction house.

I know I love the start of spring but with it brings the return of ants. I feel so sorry for Melody, the cat. When I got up this morning and refilled her bowl, the water bowl was swimming with ants and they were all in her food dish also. She does a lot of eating at night so I don't want to put them up. I have found that one of the best ways to kill those guys is to give them a quick squirt of my all purpose cleaner. Kills them in an instant. I don't know if it drowns those little buggars or not but it also works on bigger bugs. I used to use the Chlorox all purpose cleaner spray until I found out if I didn't dry it well enough that your clothes got a ever so wonderful bleach line where your tummy met the counter. But I love the smell of things cleaned with bleach.

Some of you were talking of chemo. We have a lady in our Sunday School class that is being treated for vaginal cancer. Like most other chemo patients, she has the port in her chest but she has a continuous infusion of chemo. she has this little bag in a fanny pack around her waist along with a battery operated pump.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Joyce - have you tried the ant bait traps. I get them from Amazon. The ants collect the bait and take it back to their nests so it is safer than spraying or dusting stuff. I don't like killing the wonderful creatures which have the most fascinating lives, but we can't really share our houses with them. :noway:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    another night of great sleep.. was much needed..
    A living trust is a document that depending on your situation, married widowed single will protect your property and financial holdings against probate,death taxes and will let it flow smoothly to either your spouse or beneficiary..
    I dont usually speak up and ask for things in my marriage ,but will sit down with Tom, have him look at the book I brought home and the notes I took, I also made a appt with the attorney for a saterday which is a free 1 hour consultation....
    This is something I very much want, because I know what it will be like when my dad passes away..
    heavy heavy rain right now and will have to get some dinner together for DH and lunch for me and get dressed and ready for work
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Morning to All!

Mary, your grand dog is so handsome!

Rori, what an interesting life you have led and are still living. When my MIL was a teen, she danced in those massive stage productions back in the 40's. We have a signed Edgar Bergen photo somewhere with his puppet.

Margaret, your photos of all the flowers are just lovely. You mentioned your inner-city field trip to a nature center. What do you teach?

Joyce and Meg, thanks for your comments about the nursing home predicament. My mom is 89 and gets her hair dyed dark brown. When she has her make up on, you would think she was much younger. She is constantly on my mind. This is so strange because all my life all she and I did was quarrel. My husband wants nothing to do with her or any of my family and that makes it even tougher on me.

Mary, I saw that episode about the coconut oil on Dr. Oz. I just can't imaging swishing it around in my mouth. Does the taste bother you?

Nothing going on here today. DH gone to the estate sales so I will vacuum and do some laundry. The Pom did not eat his dinner last night so I guess I'm going to have a mess to clean up before it's over as that's a sure sign that he has a bad tummy. May be related to the shots he got on Wednesday.

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning; raining here and temps plunging. No plans so far for the day other than housework. Laundry going now.

Mary.........I totally agree with you on how hard it is to stay on top of this thread!!!! That dog is huge, how old is he? I've bought the coconut oil with the intention of trying it as a mouth rinse but haven't gotten to the point where I can convince myself to actually follow through, maybe your example will be the push I need.......It's not doing me any good in the cabinet!!!

Michele........Glad you are back to your usual nightly posting!!! Wish we had an Aldi here; and Publix too.

Katla..........Very glad to hear you are on the mend! Hope you have a great lesson today.

Rori........Loving your stories!!! What an exciting job!

Janet.......I hope you get to do that cruise with your ill friend. Looking forward to it has to be giving her a lift.

Lillian.........Busy Sunday coming up for you!

Carol.....My mom and I butted heads too for many years. When she was ill with dementia, I saw a whole other person and wondered what all the disagreements were about.

Heather........The first love of my childhood was Ricky Nelson; sure he was going to be my boyfriend if I could just age a little faster! He was followed by David McCallum and many others including ALL the Beatles.

Alison......Maybe I missed something (probably did), but wouldn't it be your brother (not DH) to talk with about what happens when you dad passes?

Gotta go, dryer is calling! Have great days!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies. I had a great sleep last night ...for a change!!

Mary - your grand fur baby looks very regal and proud. Enjoy.

Going to have coffee with DH and then off for a massage.... not sure what the next of the day will be - depends on the weather.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody! It's another chilly, windy and misty day so far, but they are promising 72 and sunny on Sunday, so we just have to hang in there for two more days.

My son was offered a bigger apartment in his building yesterday. It is three good sized bedrooms instead of the two tiny ones they currently have. And it has an actual living room big enough for a sofa, which they don't have now. It also has TWO bathrooms! And the best part is that this apartment is located in a different part of the building and is completely separated from the rest of the apartments. You have to go through a fire door to get to it and it's the only apartment there, so there would be no cigarette smoke coming across the hall and wafting into their apartment. It has it's own ventilation system! And it's on the second floor instead of the 6th, which means when the elevator is broken he only has to climb one flight instead of six. I sure hope he gets it. He has to go talk to the people at HUD today to see if they will increase his housing assistance to make up for the extra $150 per month it would cost. They have already approved him for a three bedroom apartment, so hopefully it will work out. He took me to look at it yesterday and it's clean and freshly painted and the kitchen and bathrooms look nice and new. The girls would share a room and the little guy would have his own - smaller - bedroom. Now all three share one tiny bedroom. Fingers crossed!

Well, I have to go take my last load of bowls over to the Empty Bowls sale, which is today. It'll be a relief when that is over and done.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Rori - when I was little and watched Shari Lewis I thought she might marry the man on there, who was he?

Janet - it is so wonderful to be able to get together with your friend. Going on a cruise together should be great fun.

Joyce - thanks, he is a beautiful dog. He is really well behaved. He definitely has me out walking more than normal! Your clorox story made me laugh! I use terro but you would have to put the pets away for a while :) It really works well for me. I have used it on all kinds of ants not just the small sugar ants, it is kinda fun to watch, feeling a little sinister now!

Peachstategal - I almost gaged and swallowed some at first, but now it is easy. No taste at all. I thought it would taste like coconut but it doesn't. I started out my DH with a smaller amount and a 15 minutes time. And now he is up to the 2 teaspoon n and 20 minutes. After you are done you rinse your mouth with warm saltwater. I do a full 10 ounce glass. if you are too busy he suggested warm water would be fine. then you brush your teeth. I can now squish the oil between my bottom teeth where I couldn't do it when I first started 4 days ago. it is such a big difference in a short amount of time. I will be going to the dentist in a couple of months and I usually need to go two to three times for cleaning because of plaque build up. I would probably venture to say I will not need to do that now!

Yanniejannie - Kratos is 5 years old and a solid 75 lbs! If you hate going to the dentist I would suggest strongly to do the coconut oil pulling! I can't believe the difference in just 5 days! my teeth feel really clean and my mouth as well. My husband thinks that his teeth are whiter. I would agree with him he is a coffee drinker and there is a difference. mine R a little harder to tell at this point. I agree Ricky Nelson was so cute! my sisters and I used to fight over who was going to marry him ;)

Morning everyone! I really enjoy taking Kratos out for walks! I am still trying toget used to only doing in an hour of cardio because I am trying to follow the SL 5x5 program and actually they suggest no cardio just three days of the heavy lifting. the reason is your body needs time to heal from the small tears in your muscle from the listing. I can definitely tell that I am getting smaller and more muscle definition in my total body. but, I am hungry more then before. I might have to up my calories. they suggest 1800 - 2000 calories per day. I am now at 1200 - 1300. my problem is I do not want to gain weight. they suggest not weighing yourself just taking measurements. I did lose eight inches the first 3 weeks I will see what I lose this next 3. have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, fingers crossed that your son get the apartment and the approval for more rent money.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Peachstategal I substitute teach and volunteer in a school. The field trip was in the school I volunteer.

Heather I unfortunately agree about the ants. In a garden they with put on sap to attract aphids. No gardener wants to attract aphids. This is the time of year they come into our home too. Since we do not have pets I use a mixture of Borax (Yes the mule team product) and powdered sugar put on in lids. I use this inside not outside since our neighbor's dogs come to visits. If you have pets you would need pet safe traps.

The white flowers that look like a poinsettia are called princesettia.
    fh7itkho0vry.jpg

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    well, I chickened out. I wouldn't say that but I guess I just changed my mind for whatever reason. I was going to ride to work this morning (it's 47degrees, so nice riding weather) but I chk'd my speaker (I play music while I ride not with headphones, just a speaker w/loud music) and I did ride home yesterday but I forgot to chk the battery power that I had left and I chk'd it this morning and it was only 30% :0(. I dunno, depending on the weather when I get off work I may ride home, the music won't last the whole trip some so some of it will be in silence, whaaaaaaa. and no, it doesn't distract me from paying attention to the cars on the road, etc...

someone was talking about coconut oil. I put some in my hair every morning, especially on the tips and on my face and neck when I get home. it's kinda funny because I don't have a usual "beauty" regiment, never have. when I was growing up we used to use palmalive dishwashing liquid for shampoo and never gave it a second thought. when I left the house and cut my hair off (it was long and straight passed my butt) the stylists always said that I had such healthy hair and they still say that but I don't do anything special to it, genes I guess.

this morning I was on the treadmill on an incline and I was listening to some music. usually when I run I have a play list that I call "beat jogging" and these r songs that I listen to that are at the pace that I usually run so it keeps me on the beat. anyway, I was just listening to random songs and you know when you listen to something and it brings u right back to that memory of where you were at, who u were with and what you were doing? well that was happening big time, the music was reminding me of Lenny (the 3rd husband that died). such memories.

Kirby (husband) bought us a phone holder that goes on the bike. I tried it yesterday for the 1st time and I was a bit scared because of the vibration and bumpy roads I thought it may jiggle loose and come off. I have my hrm that is connected to my phone and it is connected to gps so there's a feature that tell you your hr AND the mph that I was currently riding and the average hr and mph for the trip at the time. I use the results from my other app that is running (called strava) but this was pretty cool.

have I typed enough? I think so
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all,

Vicki: You and your mom are in my prayers. Hope things are improving.

Meg: Hope you feel better really soon.

I find myself in a very reflective mood today, probably because the end of the month is coming up and I'm thinking about my goals and what my goals should be for next month. One of my goals has not been very successful and one is hit and miss. Some training I have taken in the past regarding goal setting has made it's way back into my memory. Writing things down helps my memory, so I hope some you will find this info valuable as well.

Goals must be S.M.A.R.T. Specific, measureable, achievable, realistic and timely. Celebrate achieving your goal

Goal: Do physiotherapy exercises once a day.

Specific?: I thought so, but the therapist kept changing the exercises which I found frustrating. I wasn't specific about the time however so I found myself waiting until evening and not getting it done.

Measurable?: Yep - if I did my exercises I knew I had done them.

Achievable?: Maybe not, it was not totally dependent upon me (under my control). The therapist would require days of rest and changed the exercises every other day, so there was no way to get in a habit or develop a routine.

Realistic?: I had the skills and capability to do the exercises. However a lot of the exercises were new to me and I had to learn them.

Timely?: I thought the goal was timely, I specified daily instead of this week or this month... but I didn't say "before breakfast" or at 7 PM or something like that.

So a better goal for me would have been: Do 10 reps of the clam exercise before getting out of bed each morning.

How to celebrate this goal: Put a gold star on the calendar on the fridge!

Okay... I think I'll be able to make better goals for next month. (*)

Thought for the day: If you're climbing the ladder of life, you go rung by rung, one step at a time. Don't look too far up, set your goals high but take one step at a time. Sometimes you don't think you're progressing until you step back and see how high you've really gone. - Donny Osmond

Have a lovely day ladies!

Carey - Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: You have led an interesting life. Thank you for sharing some lovely memories of people who I always admired.

Joyce: I agree with heather about ant bait traps. They work, and they aren’t a risk to pets or small children.

I’m out of time to respond. I feel good enough to go to the gym this morning and I’ve been missing it.

Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Afternoon all!
    Thanks so much for the welcome back .. It must be way over a year + since I was here! .... Soooo long ago that the weight line on the chart for last year is flat and then dives upwards off the chart once I logged in!
    Mary .... I love your little " Furbaby" just love big dogs!
    We still have another cat ...a little Himalayan beauty. But ..... She is rather round like the other female in the house!

Life is quite hectic here in North Wales. I have started painting again ( sedentary occupation I know but surely it burns SOME calories!) and I have a few works ready for some local exhibition/ sales.
    Go to ..... www.facebook.com/handpaintedbyjdw ......to see what I get up to!

And .... I have some hand painted pigs for a charity auction. Twenty UK artists were asked to each paint two pigs. Sooooo everyone go along to..... swearpig.com .....for details of the charity auction for Macmillan. I have my "MuckyPig" & " PinkyPig"
    ready to auction which will be on E.Bay in April. And ....you can see the pigs if you google...
    SWEARPIG You Tube!!

I am still keeping busy with my "lightish" housework for others! Three mornings of extra calories to use! It gets me out and about and is so far from the job I had before retirement ....it's great!

Sooo ...I have that Friday feeling.... Will get the paints out, a nice supper and a glass of wine are planned ( wine is part of my 5 a day I gave been told!) and a dip in the hot tub! Heated, I may add, by the sun today ...just love those solar panels!

Happy weekend folks ...it is good to be back!
    BFN
    Jackie W
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Afternoon all!
    Thanks so much for the welcome back .. It must be way over a year + since I was here! .... Soooo long ago that the weight line on the chart for last year is flat and then dives upwards off the chart once I logged in!
    Mary .... I love your little " Furbaby" just love big dogs!
    We still have another cat ...a little Himalayan beauty. But ..... She is rather round like the other female in the house!

Life is quite hectic here in North Wales. I have started painting again ( sedentary occupation I know but surely it burns SOME calories!) and I have a few works ready for some local exhibition/ sales.
    Go to ..... www.facebook.com/handpaintedbyjdw ......to see what I get up to!

And .... I have some hand painted pigs for a charity auction. Twenty UK artists were asked to each paint two pigs. Sooooo everyone go along to..... swearpig.com .....for details of the charity auction for Macmillan. I have my "MuckyPig" & " PinkyPig"
    ready to auction which will be on E.Bay in April. And ....you can see the pigs if you google...
    SWEARPIG You Tube!!

I am still keeping busy with my "lightish" housework for others! Three mornings of extra calories to use! It gets me out and about and is so far from the job I had before retirement ....it's great!

Sooo ...I have that Friday feeling.... Will get the paints out, a nice supper and a glass of wine are planned ( wine is part of my 5 a day I gave been told!) and a dip in the hot tub! Heated, I may add, by the sun today ...just love those solar panels!

Happy weekend folks ...it is good to be back!
    BFN
    Jackie W
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    It was sooo good to be back the post went on twice ....sorry!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

Sylvia - I really hope your son gets that apartment. :flowerforyou: Your grandchildren really deserve it.

Had a productive day today. I am a "natural blonde" again as, while DH was food shopping, I dyed my roots. Couldn't see round the back, but I did it by feel and it's turned out great! When DH did it I found myself getting annoyed with him for not doing it "quite right", so it's better to do it myself. :laugh:

I have also made a jar of rhubarb vodka with the rhubarb from the garden. Previous efforts have been delicious, so I have made a big jar this time and might decant some into pretty mini bottles for presents. :drinker:

I printed off the directions etc for our cottage in Wales. The computer was playing up so I didn't try to "style" my book. Another day.
    Then I bought two summer tops online. Free returns if they are no good and they are 25% off. The bust measurements seemed on the small side so I bought a size up. One has cap sleeves and one elbow length.
    Some paper napkins I had ordered for next week's dinner party arrived and I love them. :happy: Then another delivery brought the whales and waves duvet cover I had ordered for DGS' s birthday present. The toy crab I ordered to go with it is fabulous and I'm sure DGS will have hours of fun nipping DH. :laugh: We have also got him a See into Space book with flaps to open. :bigsmile:

Saw an interesting TV programme last night about calories. Two things stood out.
    1) Just sitting on the couch and doing nothing the small and slim wife burnt over 200 cals. Her very tall and hunky husband burnt over 800 by similarly sitting still. Waaaarrrrgh! :sad: How unfair is life!
    2) The couple who spent the morning doing housework burnt off 600+ for her and 800+ for him. This was marginally more than the couple who did an intensive workout for and hour and a half at the gym.

The moral of the story is, do more housework. :laugh: and the smaller you are the harder it is to lose. :cry:
    Also on the news was a new report that states that "sitting is the new smoking". Most of us sit around far too much at work. Standing up and walking about more are recommended. Do any of you use a stand up desk? Or a desk treadmill? One of the latter is recommended in Gretchen Rubin's new book, BETTER THAN BEFORE.

Anyway, too much chatting! Got to get the guinea fowl on to roast.

Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i'm not 50+ or a female but just wanted to say good luck to everyone with achieving their fitness goals for this month and thereafter :)