Just for today --- daily commitment thread

Options

Replies

• kwfitgal
    kwfitgal Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will:
    • Try to avoid added sugar
    • Eat my vegetables even though I don't like them!
    • Not allow my feelings to dictate what I eat...because right now I could jump into a vat of ice cream.

@OConnell: Oh, I hear you! I love ice cream too!!! I find it helpful to let myself have some occasionally, but measured actual 1/2 C according-to-the-label serving! :) All of the recent posts about protein, not to mention good fats (like avocados, eggs, coconut oil, fatty fish like salmon and sardines...) might be of help to you. There's a reason we crave that yummy creamy stuff!--Our bodies need fat--but good fat.
    I myself was actually inspired also by Sarah Wilson's book "I Quit Sugar". She goes into wonderful gory detail about how horridly sugar affects your body...after a few pages, you just might find yourself somewhat repulsed by the idea of ingesting it!!! Anyway, even if you don't go whole hog with her way of life, she does provide many, many beautifully illustrated and healthy SATISFYING recipes to get away from sugar (mainly with fats and protein). It just may inspire you! God's grace and strength to you in accomplishing your wonderful goals for the day!!!! :)

• kwfitgal
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    I have been so busy with work and then outside work, so only getting on here to read everyone's posts. But keeping busy is a good thing. I've been working on drinking more water, and cutting back on the diet soda -- goal is to quit diet soda for good! Loved the ideas of water substitutes, and lemon in water!!

So just for today
    1. Concentrate on drinking water. 2 glasses with each meal, and carry my glass with me in between. Keep drinking!

2. More protein. Someone posted that this helps with sugar cravings, so I am going to concentrate on having at least some protein with each meal. This morning, it was oatmeal with milk and blueberries! So off to a good start!

God's grace to you also, Joan! You are really making an effort to begin new specific habits--that is sooo awesome and I'm sure it will pay off as you stick with it! You'll feel so much better about yourself, too! Have a beautiful day! :)

• losingrae
    losingrae Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    losingrae wrote: »

Just for Today 05/12
    1. log :)
    2. exercise :)
    3. take evening vitamins (i always forget those) :)

Good day yesterday. Let's try for a 3 day streak....

Just for Today 05/13
    1. Log
    2. exercise
    3. evening vitamins
    4. no carbs

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Tuesday:
    1. 10,000 steps :) 12,415
    2. swim :) 1 mile/5280 ft, not swimmers' mile
    3. under 100G carbs :) 95 G

Wednesday:
    1. 12,000 steps
    2. lift heavy things
    3. under 100 G carbs
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Wednesday:

- Eat healthy foods within the macros I set
    - find some way to work up a sweat in the little time that I have today
    - Read the message boards to stay inspired and motivated

Didn't make it to the gym for tour/set-up as planned yesterday. Can't make it today for sure. It may pop back up tomorrow. I just am having huge troubles making myself go to the gym. Going outside to walk, run or bike - no problem. Gym - big problem. Sigh.
  • losingrae
    losingrae Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Calli1616 wrote: »

Didn't make it to the gym for tour/set-up as planned yesterday. Can't make it today for sure. It may pop back up tomorrow. I just am having huge troubles making myself go to the gym. Going outside to walk, run or bike - no problem. Gym - big problem. Sigh.

I have the same issue. A long time ago I took some quiz and it declared that I prefer outdoor exercise. I keep trying to join gyms for some reason, then end up finding outdoor routines to make me happier.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Fit in some outdoor yoga
    Paint my niece's nails
    Enjoy some dark chocolate
  • njlosingweight
    njlosingweight Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    from yesterday

* Log every bite in MFP :)
    * 10,000 steps :o (made 9,000)
    * drink my water :)
    * no nuts today :) [/quote]

My goals for today May 13th
    * Log all food in MFP and stay within calorie allowance
    * drink my extra water btw 10-11a, 1-2p, 5-6p
    * 10,000 steps
    * aerobics class at gym
    * no nuts
  • njlosingweight
    Options
    /vicky, today I can return the favor to you. After you hit the "quote" button on your previous days post the little emoji smiley face is one of the options to click on the line above with font, italics, paragraph etc. You can add that right into your quote :) Once you hit "post reply" it will be a smiley face!
  • feistyjojo
    feistyjojo Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    feistyjojo wrote: »

Tomorrow is another challenge. A VERY early start to my day and a session with another client team that will require some big energy from me.

So - goal is simply to hit calorie target (requiring some thought about healthy snacks and good lunch choices) and to balance my energy with good breathing practices.

thanks for all your comments on.my recent posts. It's great to be part of this community.

Am over calorie target.
    Horrid night's sleep. Didn't buy healthy snacks on way into work. Did fine until lunch, when all I could eat was a light salad as there was no veggie option. I was starving by early afternoon and snacked on the provided biscuits.
    By the time I got home I was so tired and hungry so went to the chip shop (a very rare occurence).

So... nearly 400 calories over. Not great. I will start again tomorrow.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    :)
    /vicky, today I can return the favor to you. After you hit the "quote" button on your previous days post the little emoji smiley face is one of the options to click on the line above with font, italics, paragraph etc. You can add that right into your quote :) Once you hit "post reply" it will be a smiley face!

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    :)

It worked. Thanks.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Just for today ( Wednesday May 13)
    1. Early morning aqua-size class :smile:
    2. Stick to 1200 calories :smile:

Just for today ( (Thursday May 14)
    1. Take breakfast lunch and snack with me to work
    2. Walk 1 hour
    3. Stick to 1200 calories

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Just for today - I'm going to try and drink my water target.

Nearly made it, I had 6 or 7 glasses which is 3x more than usual.

So, just for today, same target again.
  • lcbourdo
    lcbourdo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread after joining MFP a couple of days ago. Thanks for being here!

Just for today - do my morning hatha yoga stretches.
  • lcbourdo
    lcbourdo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    Yesterday
    2. More protein. Someone posted that this helps with sugar cravings, so I am going to concentrate on having at least some protein with each meal. This morning, it was oatmeal with milk and blueberries! So off to a good start! :) Much better, but still gave in to ice cream last nite. :/

Hi Joan -- Thanks for this thread! I've just joined and am NO expert on weight loss techniques, but your comment about protein intake at each meal caught my attention.

I had a nutritionist recently tell me that proteins like oatmeal (plant-based, higher in protein than other plant-based grains, but not a complete protein -- those with 9 essential amino acids) sometimes benefit from the addition of an egg, nuts or seeds, or flaxseed meal.

I mention this because I always have a glycemic reaction to oatmeal if I eat it without some other sort of protein to round it out. When that hits, I almost always reach for a high carb snack. Obviously NOT a good idea.

You're awesome, btw. :-) I hope this post doesn't offend in any way...

Peace,
    Laura

• MonicaSmith98
    MonicaSmith98 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will
    1. Stay within my calorie goals
    2. Drink lots of water
    3. Get some type of excersise
  • kwfitgal
    Options
    kwfitgal wrote: »

JFT 13 May:
    1. Stay close to cal goals/fat intake-- ;) Went a somewhat over, but the pounds are falling off, so!?!?!!!?
    2. Drink 4 pints water/tea--work on this!!! -- :# Got in about half this for sure. Need to work it back up!
    3. Exercise 30 min.--Make myself do this!!! I'll be glad I did!!-- :# OK, got in 10 min. I don't know what my deal is! (P.S., does walking around Walmart count?, Ha Ha!)

Just for Today, 14 May:
    1. Stay close to cal goals/fat intake
    2. Drink 4 pints water/tea--work on this!!!
    3. Exercise 30 min.--Work harder today at making this happen!!
    4. Really stay focused on God's truth in a very challenging circumstance!

Happy Thursday All!!
  • kwfitgal
    Options
    lcbourdo wrote: »
    Just found this thread after joining MFP a couple of days ago. Thanks for being here!

Just for today - do my morning hatha yoga stretches.

Hi! Wow! I just read your profile, and you are one brave, amazing woman!! Good for you, to bite the bullet now and tackle your health situation! You are going to feel amazing, probably shed many of the health problems, and be so proud of yourself!!!

You have "stumbled upon" one of the nicest threads on MFP (If you are interested in another thread full of nice folks, the Fifty Plus (or So) Support Group is also wonderful :) ). Thank you again to Joan, who is one beautiful woman! Stick with it here everyday, even when you miss the mark or utterly blow it (which we all do)--everyone will cheer you on to brush off your knees and keep going!!!

P.S. It sounds like a very good idea to be working for a while with a nutritionist...hopefully they are also telling you the importance of including healthy fats--avocados, salmon, nuts, coconut oil, etc. because those help your body burn the "bad" fat, and are so important for healthy brain function, etc?!?!

God's grace to you in your journey, and strength to achieve today's goal! :)
  • njlosingweight
    Options
    from yesterday

* Log all food in MFP and stay within calorie allowance :)
    * drink my extra water btw 10-11a, 1-2p, 5-6p :)
    * 10,000 steps :) YAY!
    * aerobics class at gym :)
    * no nuts :)
    Just for today May 14th
    *log all food and stay within budget
    *8,000 steps (being realistic as this is not a gym day)
    *extra water at 10, 1, and 5
    *another day with no nuts (my husband buys the giant bags from Costco and I just have to stop)
    * stop obsessing about the next thing I will be eating