Split Lifting Days

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you don't seem to stick to any one plan for too long. you've always got to try and tweak it or something.

go out and get some books, like new rules of lifting, 5/3/1, starting strength, whatever. read them. learn. stick to something for 3-6 months before you re-evaluate your program.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Ultimately to build some muscle and lower my body fat %. I don't think I could do the whole bulking cycle then cutting.

Is that not quicker than a body recomp cycle?

• Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Ultimately to build some muscle and lower my body fat %. I don't think I could do the whole bulking cycle then cutting.

so a recomp?? that takes a really really long time. you need to have patience.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Okay. I am getting addicted to lifting and the results so just thought it would be an idea for my next workouts after I get tired of this plus it would cut out one day of doing just cardio over my lunch.
    What would be another way to switch things ups?

Focus on less, focus on quality.
    Just so my body does not get used to what I am doing now.

This is one way in-which most people don't understand strength-training. First, let's review the SAID principle or also referred to as the Specificity Principle. The body will adapt to the demands imposed upon. In order to get stronger in something like the Squat, one must Squat, and the body MUST adapt to it (aka get use to it) in order to get stronger. Over-time you can change the intensity of the load used with the Squat so your body continues to be pushed and forces more adaptation (aka progressive overload). Why bother getting stronger in something like the Squat? Why not Squat one week, Clean next week, Front Squat the following week, Deadlift the week after that, Leg Press the following week and then Squat again a month or so later? Because something like the Squat trains all key lower body muscle group, provides some Core activation, and even causes some upper back muscle activation to stabilize the bar. Essentially it covers many muscles group to where if you continually improve your strength in the Squat, you will improve your overall daily function. If you are constantly mixing *kitten*-up, your body won't know what the *kitten* you're doing and you'll go nowhere. The concept of "Muscle Confusion" that BeachBody represents is complete and utter *kitten*.

I'm not saying all you need to do is Squat, that was just an example. But you are much better off training less frequently, and training hard with quality exercises and quality repetitions. I can tell you that I've been training for a while now on 3-days a week and no more than 7 to 8 of the same exercises and I've never looked back to the old days of 4 to 5 days with a dozen or so exercises.

Unless your are specifically training for body-building, you can easily train 3 to 4 times per week and make great gains in strength. I would highly recommend sticking to a trainer with a good background that can help you with your goals or a proven strength training plan such as Beyond 5/3/1, Starting Strength, StrongLifts, etc.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can you explain what a recomp entails?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

There. Now focus on that goal and doing things that will help you work towards it

Lifting - Hit each muscle group 2-3x per week. Focus on the primary lifts. Do a couple accessory lifts. Change accessory lifts if you get bored. Give 100%.

Cardio - If HIIT, do it after you lift. If steady state, do it on a different day. Give yourself 1-2 recovery days per week. Recovery days don't have to be off days, they can be low intensity work like stretching, walking, hiking, light running or biking, etc.

Diet - eat at maintnance or very slightly below.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

google it
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    you don't seem to stick to any one plan for too long. you've always got to try and tweak it or something.

go out and get some books, like new rules of lifting, 5/3/1, starting strength, whatever. read them. learn. stick to something for 3-6 months before you re-evaluate your program.

I was happy with my schedule back when it was all cardio but if I find a schedule I like, it will stick better.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

google it

Nice advice. LOL
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

There. Now focus on that goal and doing things that will help you work towards it

Lifting - Hit each muscle group 2-3x per week. Focus on the primary lifts. Do a couple accessory lifts. Change accessory lifts if you get bored. Give 100%.

Cardio - If HIIT, do it after you lift. If steady state, do it on a different day. Give yourself 1-2 recovery days per week. Recovery days don't have to be off days, they can be low intensity work like stretching, walking, hiking, light running or biking, etc.

Diet - eat at maintnance or very slightly below.

Thank you!!