Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Like most people said, yes, you can still eat a cheeseburger. I've lost 77 pounds and eat a wonderful burger (with bacon & cheese) every 2-3 weeks. Make it fit into your day. Weight loss shouldn't mean deprivation.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, yes you can. But if you're like me one burger turns into one burger 3 times a week...LOL
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hunger is something almost all of us have to deal with when restricting calories. There are a number of strategies to help mitigate this challenge (changes in diet to increase satiety without increasing total caloric intake, for example, but there are many others, including your gravitation to appetite suppressors). But occasional hunger is not necessarily something that can be eliminated.

I have mostly eliminated it currently with appetite suppressants (phentermine/topomax).
    There's no rule that you need to be at 2 lbs a week target deficit. Some people can do that and adhere to their diet plan; some can't. If 2lbs a week is too much for you to adhere to your intake goals, you'd be much better off setting a target deficit that you can meet or mostly meet, and that still results in weight loss. Why don't you add back in another 500 calories a day? You'll still be expecting 1lb per week lost, so it will take longer to reach your ultimate goal, but much better to do something you can sustain than simply setting yourself up for failure.

My fear is that if the studies I have read are correct then hunger is caused by lower leptin levels caused by lower fat levels, and not by the amount of calorie deficit. So I'm going to be hungry regardless of the level of caloric deficit. Might as well go whole hog in that case.

In any case, I'm on the appetite suppressant, so it's not an issue - for now.
    Based on your posts just in this thread (I don't think we've interacted in other threads) it feels like you're intensely interested in the NEAT / TDEE effects that long-term obesity may cause when one moves to maintenance.

Not really - the topic only came up when I was lamenting how few calories will be available to eat once I get there. Really I don't concern myself with maintenance as never in my entire life have I ever successfully lost enough weigh to achieve it. To me the idea of maintenance is a distant dream.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'll watch the video when you stop being lazy and go exercise.

Challenge accepted.
    If you think I'm special then so are many of the others on this site that did it. @vismal‌ @CyberEd312‌, some in this thread and many many more must also be special then in your opinion. We are not special biological cases but you are correct that we have strong willpower, something you lack.

I do not dispute that you and others succeed at weight loss. Do you dispute that most people do not succeed at weight loss?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter what you eat...just don't eat the fries and soda if you want burgers at a joint.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Eh, sorry, I don’t really want to read 16 pages of comments. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in: IMO, you can definitely eat whatever you want. I don’t restrict myself from anything (including cake, mmm cake), but I do try to hit my macros (especially protein) and count the calories. I eat anything, but less of it.

And in regard to burgers, I love me a good one. I like to get them with no cheese and with mustard / pickles / tomatoes instead of mayo or other calorie-heavy sauces. And of course, with bacon.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hunger is something almost all of us have to deal with when restricting calories. There are a number of strategies to help mitigate this challenge (changes in diet to increase satiety without increasing total caloric intake, for example, but there are many others, including your gravitation to appetite suppressors). But occasional hunger is not necessarily something that can be eliminated.

I have mostly eliminated it currently with appetite suppressants (phentermine/topomax).
    There's no rule that you need to be at 2 lbs a week target deficit. Some people can do that and adhere to their diet plan; some can't. If 2lbs a week is too much for you to adhere to your intake goals, you'd be much better off setting a target deficit that you can meet or mostly meet, and that still results in weight loss. Why don't you add back in another 500 calories a day? You'll still be expecting 1lb per week lost, so it will take longer to reach your ultimate goal, but much better to do something you can sustain than simply setting yourself up for failure.

My fear is that if the studies I have read are correct then hunger is caused by lower leptin levels caused by lower fat levels, and not by the amount of calorie deficit. So I'm going to be hungry regardless of the level of caloric deficit. Might as well go whole hog in that case.

Based on your posts just in this thread (I don't think we've interacted in other threads) it feels like you're intensely interested in the NEAT / TDEE effects that long-term obesity may cause when one moves to maintenance.

Not really - the topic only came up when I was lamenting how few calories will be available to eat once I get there. Really I don't concern myself with maintenance as never in my entire life have I ever successfully lost enough weigh to achieve it. To me the idea of maintenance is a distant dream.

You have a terrible mindset. My caloric intake will probably be around what I eat now to lose weight. Yes, it will be a struggle. The good thing is is that exercising allows you to eat more! Exercising takes time to get into the habit, it's not something you just jump into. Do you plan on trying to get exercise into your life?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    [. . . snip . . .]

Well, I'd question that strategy. You're worried that some studies imply that the amount of caloric deficit doesn't matter to your hunger challenges, so you'll set calorie goals that make the hunger unbearable, or nearly so, at least without additional appetite suppressants? I personally would think through that a bit more.
    Really I don't concern myself with maintenance as never in my entire life have I ever successfully lost enough weigh to achieve it. To me the idea of maintenance is a distant dream.

Dreams are realized by setting a plan that has a realistic change of success, and then executing on that plan. Sometimes the distance is long and sometimes short, but you don't cover that distance without a plan that you can execute. Good luck!

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    (...)

I have mostly eliminated it (hunger) currently with appetite suppressants (phentermine/topomax).

(...)
    I'm pretty sure that obesity, within reasonable limits, is less dangerous than long term use of appetite suppressants.

If you genuinely feel you can't beat it... embrace and enjoy it. This dude's living it up:
    Funny-GIF-Girl-twerk-fat-guy.gif

ETA:
    I'm not reading 475 posts.

Cliffs? Can you eat a burger?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    (...)

I have mostly eliminated it (hunger) currently with appetite suppressants (phentermine/topomax).

(...)
    I'm pretty sure that obesity, within reasonable limits, is less dangerous than long term use of appetite suppressants.

If you genuinely feel you can't beat it... embrace and enjoy it. This dude's living it up:

GROSS!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Also, this is a fantastic burger:
    13.png

And while I was there, I had half a apple pie shake (half was still a full glass). Next time, it will be a kitchen sink:
    o.jpg

Damn, that does look good - though I'm not a fan of chili. And I know there is a Grub nearby ... off to Google locations. Maybe I can swing a burger from there in the next couple of days.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've gotten so far, I think. Tell me if I've missed something:

1. The definition of the word "burger" is sacred
    2. Hamburgers have calories
    3. If you haven't burned off your breakfast before you eat lunch you'll get fat
    4. Food has chemicals
    5. 12 pages is my limit
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I love a good burger but wtf is everyone obsession with Five Guys. Every time I've seen one of my partnes at work eat one it looks like a ball of grease that absorbed the bun.

I'M with you. Five Guys burgers are disgusting. My husband swears by them, but I don't get the appeal.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    783 cals is half of what appears to be a fairly decent sized guy's daily allotment of calories? How the heck many pounds are you trying to lose a week?

783 cals is (slightly) under half of my daily cals and I'm a 117 lb 40 yr old woman who sits on her *kitten* all day at work - and that's if I don't exercise at all.

I am set up for 2 pounds per week weight loss and MFP has me at an allotment of 1770 calories per day. A 783 calorie hamburger is 44% of my daily allotment.

My diary is open.

And there's your problem. Set a reasonable goal, cease being miserable. When you adjust to a moderate deficit, then maybe decrease it further. Drugs are not going to get you where you want to go, which is sustainable weight loss. When you come off of them, back comes the appetite, and back comes the weight.

Oh, and do make sure you read up on the potential side effects of phentermine and topomax. Not nice.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    This thread needs less drama and MORE BURGERS!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAmez1BAEAt7w9eT3q2vdVykoEsmbjMnn42JStEi0d5AGh31myPQ

19_seriuseats_lgl.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsFVpV6PWw6vmjzKQfs9_O7ONfsEbbLmWrlK8LLxiI-T_ZsoFN
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I love a good burger but wtf is everyone obsession with Five Guys. Every time I've seen one of my partnes at work eat one it looks like a ball of grease that absorbed the bun.

I'M with you. Five Guys burgers are disgusting. My husband swears by them, but I don't get the appeal.

Definitely not worth the extra money when Carl's Jr pretty much makes the same quality of food for less.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    (...)

(...)

ETA:
    I'm not reading 475 posts.

Cliffs? Can you eat a burger?

...this is disturbing....

As for maillemaker, well good luck to you with all that.
    eddie_murphy_wtf_gif.gif
This discussion has been closed.