Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Wow just read all of this and the only thing I got out of it is I want this now:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuIkhbVDZMGusF3FP0bUaEiPGlvxqlfHJmxFU24pccJkV3UqPP

Is that the mythical 1000 calorie burger that everyone keeps referring to?
    Because I want that. Calories be dammed

No clue how many are in that and wouldn't care right now cause it looks good

Now a burger like this and I might need to bring friends

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP-RCs5dVrmbHLb5umn6x4_Y4TvhsKMxXWlqbaHY7JMiG0vKto
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

There's burgers, and then there's burgers.

A burger to me is a Little Bacon Cheesburger "All The Way" from Five Guys. That's 783 calories.

Can you eat it? Of course you can. It's about half my daily allotment of calories. So yeah, you can eat it - if you want to eat nothing else for half the day.

The sad reality of weight loss is that this kind of eating that we have grown accustomed to as normal is preposterous and absurd. It's heartbreaking to realize that in the future my entire maintenance allotment of calories is going to be the equivalent of a few handfuls of nuts. A Wendy's single is going to be an extravagance.

Seriously??? You only get 1566 calories a day? You're a man, that's ridiculous.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.

Exactly.

A burger to me is a Little Bacon Cheesburger "All The Way" from Five Guys. That's 783 calories.

Can you eat it? Of course you can. It's about half my daily allotment of calories. So yeah, you can eat it - if you want to eat nothing else for half the day.

The sad reality of weight loss is that this kind of eating that we have grown accustomed to as normal is preposterous and absurd. It's heartbreaking to realize that in the future my entire maintenance allotment of calories is going to be the equivalent of a few handfuls of nuts. A Wendy's single is going to be an extravagance.

You're probably not eating enough if 783 calories is about half your daily allotment. I eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight. I'm a fairly sedentary woman. You're a dude, you can eat more and lose weight without starving yourself.
    SuggaD wrote: »

You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

All things in moderation. Period.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that there are many burger options that aren't high calorie?

You know, I read through to the end of the whole thread hoping someone would make this point.

When he returns to the thread he will say that he has suffered a metabolic slowdown and post some study about why obese people fail at losing weight, but they have to be "obese enough" and for long enough. Apparently that user goes into starvation mode after 5 days of caloric deficit. His words not mine. And it's funny because if we consider that that the man is like 340 lbs and somehow claims his TDEE is so low. But don't worry, I'm sure here appear here with some true gold. Comedic gold!

From his profile:
    BMR: 2428
    TDEE: 2914
    Daily Calorie Goal based on 20% calorie reduction: 2331
    Estimated weight loss: 1.2 pounds per week

But his diary is set for 1770 about the same as mine
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.

Exactly.

You're probably not eating enough if 783 calories is about half your daily allotment. I eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight. I'm a fairly sedentary woman. You're a dude, you can eat more and lose weight without starving yourself.
    SuggaD wrote: »

You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

All things in moderation. Period.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that there are many burger options that aren't high calorie?

You know, I read through to the end of the whole thread hoping someone would make this point.

When he returns to the thread he will say that he has suffered a metabolic slowdown and post some study about why obese people fail at losing weight, but they have to be "obese enough" and for long enough. Apparently that user goes into starvation mode after 5 days of caloric deficit. His words not mine. And it's funny because if we consider that that the man is like 340 lbs and somehow claims his TDEE is so low. But don't worry, I'm sure here appear here with some true gold. Comedic gold!

From his profile:
    BMR: 2428
    TDEE: 2914
    Daily Calorie Goal based on 20% calorie reduction: 2331
    Estimated weight loss: 1.2 pounds per week

But his diary is set for 1770 about the same as mine

I'm going to assume his TDEE on Day 1 is 2914, then after 5 days as he claims he goes into starvation mode then BAM........TDEE of 1600. Or 1500. Or 1700. Or whatever he claims. Dreaded starvation mode.

Well it's much more diet like to whine how miserable it is. Oh no an extravagant calorie meal is a wendy's single... yea okay good luck with that
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Five Guy's lettuce wrap bacon cheese burger - 660 cal, without the bacon, 580

I spose the kind with a bun instead of lettuce is higher, but don't eat bread, don't care. Still not sure why someone couldn't fit that in, though. It's not like it's a nutrition-less sugar bomb like people are usually arguing about.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I love a good burger but wtf is everyone obsession with Five Guys. Every time I've seen one of my partnes at work eat one it looks like a ball of grease that absorbed the bun.

Probably an added bonus of not having the bun. That said, I think they're on the drier side than most. They're not the be all and end all to me, but I grew up with the original Culver's, so that spoiled me. The franchise locations are nowhere near the original.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Definitely! I prefer making and grilling my own over going out for burgers because they're way lower in calories and sodium when home made, but either way there's no reason you can't fit it in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The Little Bacon Cheeseburger is 200 grams, which if you use 90% lean meat is about 352 calories. Lots, but that much meat is going to be a lot regardless. 336 calories for the same quantity of salmon, with about the same fat and protein.

So if you make it at home and add bacon and cheese and your preferred bun (or none), you can control the number of additional calories added. (And make sure to add in some veggies or a side salad also.) The issue isn't that a burger is uniquely high calorie for the size, such that one can't fit it in.

Of course, if you can't fit in 200 grams of meat (I usually don't, personally, but I'm a 5'3, 125 lb woman, and on occasion I do), then choose a different serving size, but don't claim it's because a burger is inherently too high in calories vs. other food options.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I love a good burger but wtf is everyone obsession with Five Guys. Every time I've seen one of my partnes at work eat one it looks like a ball of grease that absorbed the bun.

Beats me. I let people get me all excited about them when they opened here, but it was a disappointment.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

My son loves 5 guys and wants to go there all the time. I don't love it. Not even close. In fact, I don't even like it very well.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    All the burger I have seen so far in this thread look bad. They would be good for like 1/4 or 1/2 of the burger but I'm guessing I would get sick of the meat cheese grease combo.

Here is a real burger, comes with chips, not fries.
    rtubt7qh2gae.jpg
    BONDI BURGER™
    Bondi Burger (Triple Fillet) with chilli

Made the same way since back in the day - with three fresh-grilled 100% chicken breast fillets, crisp lettuce, cheese, creamy mayo and Oporto's legendary chilli sauce. Epic.

3310 kJ
    The average adult daily intake is 8700kJ
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In no way is that a burger. Sorry.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it would rarely fit in my calorie goal unless it was a little home made one. When I go burger, I like to go big *kitten* baconator and fries. As a petite female, my calorie allowances just aren't high enough to fit that in unless I eat very little the rest of the day. That said, I let myself indulge once in a while and it hasn't hurt my progress.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yuuupp! At least weekly. Also, chickenburgers are big fat phonies. It's gotta be homemade - beef, pork and cut up bacon mix for the patties.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Culver's Butter Burger Deluxe (and the BEST fries of any US chain):

Culvers-Double-ButterBurger-with-Cheese-and-Bacon.jpg

Double burger + Small Fries = 800+ calories of awesome. Of course I don't eat them every day; just as I don't care to eat any one meal EVERY single day. That's boring. But for burger night, we go out to get them, as I just can't make them taste as good as the above. Or (gasp) I eat a McD's, since they're cheap.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I had an amazing spicy swordfish burger last week. May have to recreate that soon.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I could eat a Big Mac every day for dinner and still lose weight.

Actually, I did this before, except it was a Whopper. BK rules.

Whoppers are way > than Big Macs...

Word.

i have never heard of people genuinely liking BK over McDs. I'm not a burger fan in general, but McD fries and shakes trump BK's any day of the week.

i prefer BK over mcdonalds. i wont touch much at McD. the chicken wraps are decent. love the mocha mcfrappes, and will get one, drink a bit (maybe a quarter of a small one), and pawn the rest off on my daughter or toss it (i really DONT want to drink all my daily calories but mmmmmmmmm) LOL its been a long time since ive had one of those, too....

This discussion has been closed.