Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I had an 8oz patty last night stuffed with jalapeno and pepperjack cheese stuffed between some toasted bread. I was in heaven. I had some home made fries too. Oh, I also had a 12oz bag of California Medley Steamed Vegetables as well. AWESOME meal!!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

On a 1350-1400 calorie allotment, I have no trouble fitting in a burger and I do not consider it a treat, as it's food! I will be the first on here to say i often talk about cheesecake or chocolate. After my macros are met, if I have room, then I get to have these things. It's all about priorities. So I personally, don't drink my calories and exercise more that day to make a little bigger deficit.

You guys are missing the point. Can I fit a high calorie burger into my day everyday? Nope. And most people can't. On occasion, sure. And so can everyone. Good for you if you can fit it in every day. You are not in the majority. You guys are really arguing with the wrong person, just to argue. I'm not a food restricter or advocating restricting. Moderation means just that, not indulging in high calorie foods every single day. And it really isn't just calories. Those fast food burgers are high in everything and will likely throw off an average person's macros.

Then don't eat high calorie burgers everyday. Easy peasy.

You do realize that the fast food industry is not the only source for burgers, right?

I don't even eat fast food. A burger I'd want to eat at home is still going to be a lot higher than 240-300 calories. As I said, I make burgers (albeit turkey burgers) all the time.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat a burger! That's actually what you're supposed to do with a burger. ;)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

The turkey sandwich can also be a treat, if its a 700 calorie turkey sandwich (e.g., 1-2x a year we go to this place after rides that serves a turkey club as big as 1 large plate. I don't want to even think about how many calories are in that thing. Yeah, that's a treat). That's the point. Most burgers are not 240-300 calories.

That's the point -- a turkey sandwich can be a treat or it can be a food that easily fits into everyday plans. A burger can be the same way. The existence of that turkey sandwich shouldn't cause you to conclude that nobody can regularly eat a turkey sandwich without gaining weight.

Most burgers may not be 240 calories (although I think McDonald's sells quite a few of those 240 calorie burgers, tbh), but to use that logic to say all burgers are therefore treats -- regardless of what burger it is or what you eat with it -- is like saying that because most Americans eat gigantic portions of pasta that means pasta can only be a treat for everyone.

We are perfectly capable of controlling our portion sizes and what accompanies certain foods. A 240-300 sandwich could easily be a part of someone's regular meal plan.

High calorie foods are (or should be) treats for the average person. Does that work better for you?

OK. so let me understand your stand. You are stating burger, turkey sandwich a "treat" .

Are you stating that for your lifestyle or mine?
  • SuggaD
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

On a 1350-1400 calorie allotment, I have no trouble fitting in a burger and I do not consider it a treat, as it's food! I will be the first on here to say i often talk about cheesecake or chocolate. After my macros are met, if I have room, then I get to have these things. It's all about priorities. So I personally, don't drink my calories and exercise more that day to make a little bigger deficit.

You guys are missing the point. Can I fit a high calorie burger into my day everyday? Nope. And most people can't. On occasion, sure. And so can everyone. Good for you if you can fit it in every day. You are not in the majority. You guys are really arguing with the wrong person, just to argue. I'm not a food restricter or advocating restricting. Moderation means just that, not indulging in high calorie foods every single day. And it really isn't just calories. Those fast food burgers are high in everything and will likely throw off an average person's macros.

Some people most certainly can fit a high calorie burger into their everyday diet if they want to. When I'm working on the road I frequently skip breakfast and often only have a light lunch - I am on the go and since I do not always have access to bathrooms I limit my food and drink during those times - and I'm busy and not thinking about food. So it's reasonable for me on my "busy work days" to end the day with 800+ calories to consume. Esp. if I've only snacked on raw veggies like green beans or pepper strips or grape tomatoes during the day and not even taking into account I often accumulate 3000+ steps outside of my normal day to day routine during this time. If I were out on the road more often, I could do this more often, but when I am working from home my mind is more easily distracted and tells me I want something to eat, lol

I'm done with this thread. I already acknowledged that some can. I'm not talking about some.

OP, enjoy the burger. And I stick by what I said. To each their own, of course.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

You do realize that the fast food industry is not the only source for burgers, right?

I don't even eat fast food. A burger I'd want to eat at home is still going to be a lot higher than 240-300 calories. As I said, I make burgers (albeit turkey burgers) all the time.

I like how a lot of people assume a cheeseburger = fast food. When I really want a burger the last thing I am going to want is McD's or BK. Maybe Five Guys. ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Even if it was double that, is 600 calories really high for the protein/grain portion of a meal? Add in a nice side salad and you can still have a balanced meal that is not excessively high calorie.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to eat a burger every day. Seems like it would get boring. But, you could do it and have a balanced diet if you wanted.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why do you assume that everyone has the same low calorie allotment that you do?

for the record, how low is this calorie allotment of yours? I am guessing 1200, but I don't want to assume...

Why are YOU assuming I have a low calorie allotment? I'm at maintenance and my maintenance calories are between 2300-2600. As I am hungry all day, I'm not blowing up to 1000 calories on a single burger every day.

so you cant fit a 500 calorie burger into a 2300 to 2600 calorie day OK ...

your postings now make less sense then they previously did...

ETA

I did not assume, that is why I asked the question.

However, based on your posts about how had it is to fit in a 500 calorie burger the natural assumption would be that you are on a 1200 per day calorie allotment, as that is typically the argument of the 1200 calorie group ...because you know, logical conclusions and all ...
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do burgers with ground sirloin so its lean. I prefer whole grain so I go for Dave's Killer bread, use one slice of bacon and avocado. For cheese I use a little asiago. It has tons of flavor in just a 1/4 oz. I don't do burgers out because I don't know meat source or quality. It's a tasty burger for 400-500 calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

who said that everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE?

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

so in your world a burger = a milkshake...?

totally legit...

You read that incorrect. In their world burger is a treat as much as a milkshake. I understand it's in their little world that's how they take it.

They didn't say burger = milkshake.

lets review the record...

here is the direct quote;

"It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories"

pray tell, what does that sentence then mean?

I think its cute that you referee all the threads...keep up the good work...

No I don't referee all the threads. Just the threads with special snowflakes.

I really, really, really want to now to ask this poster SuggaD to whom is burger a treat? Now that I read more and more their comments it seems they are enforcing this "treat" on everyone. But I could be wrong.

I don't eat cheeseburger but I do eat Turkey and Salmon minus bun. And it is not a treat for me.

so your just going to deflect the question and not address it...

legit..

don't really see the "special snowflake" connection you are trying to make, but feel free to elaborate..

• misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yep! I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie allotment. I look at it like a budget. You can go to a high end store and get ONE shirt or go to walmart and get 2 outfits with the same budget. It just depends on how you want to spend your calories. More often than not I choose to go with healthy food so I can have more of it but if I am craving something that is high calories I just eat light for the rest of the day OR I "stockpile" calories for a few days before going out with friends. I eat about 100 fewer calories for a few days leading up to going out or for a few days after. A great way to do it is to make a big batch of vegetable soup. It is very low in calories, tastes good, nutritious, and you can eat a LOT so you don't feel hungry eating less calories. It works for me. Everyone is different. I have lost 47 pounds since Oct with little to no exercise AND indulging on holidays and with friends.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Now I want a burger.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

who said that everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE?

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

so in your world a burger = a milkshake...?

totally legit...

You read that incorrect. In their world burger is a treat as much as a milkshake. I understand it's in their little world that's how they take it.

They didn't say burger = milkshake.

lets review the record...

here is the direct quote;

"It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories"

pray tell, what does that sentence then mean?

I think its cute that you referee all the threads...keep up the good work...

No I don't referee all the threads. Just the threads with special snowflakes.

I really, really, really want to now to ask this poster SuggaD to whom is burger a treat? Now that I read more and more their comments it seems they are enforcing this "treat" on everyone. But I could be wrong.

I don't eat cheeseburger but I do eat Turkey and Salmon minus bun. And it is not a treat for me.

so your just going to deflect the question and not address it...

legit..

don't really see the "special snowflake" connection you are trying to make, but feel free to elaborate..

Scroll up. I have posted the question to the user. Like I said the more and more I'm reading their comment it kinda reflects that what's they are enforcing their treat = everyone's treat.

It's my question and I'm waiting to hear a response from them.

EDTA: If I have disappeared and not responding it's because I've to go offline in less than 5 minutes. Nothing to do with this conversation
  • SuggaD
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

for the record, how low is this calorie allotment of yours? I am guessing 1200, but I don't want to assume...

Why are YOU assuming I have a low calorie allotment? I'm at maintenance and my maintenance calories are between 2300-2600. As I am hungry all day, I'm not blowing up to 1000 calories on a single burger every day.

I'm sorry but I can't even remember the last time I had a 1000 calorie burger. Your arguments are extreme and weak. You need to apply more reality to them.

I use 95/5 ground beef and can make an 8oz burger with swiss and bacon for under 700 calories. And I don't even need an 8oz burger. 6 will do. You need to stop with the extreme arguments and trying to apply things to everyone.

You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

All things in moderation. Period.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm sorry but I can't even remember the last time I had a 1000 calorie burger. Your arguments are extreme and weak. You need to apply more reality to them.

I use 95/5 ground beef and can make an 8oz burger with swiss and bacon for under 700 calories. And I don't even need an 8oz burger. 6 will do. You need to stop with the extreme arguments and trying to apply things to everyone.

You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

I thought you were leaving...

I don't know if your arguments are extreme or just all over the place....

I will come back in and let you know when I figure it out...

oh wait, I figured it out, it is both ...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Where do you get the idea that most people can't eat 700 calorie foods every day? It doesn't even make logical sense. Eating < 700 calories every day would be unhealthy for most adults.
This discussion has been closed.