Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I made burgers the other day with ground beef (full fat, not lean) and topped it with homemade guacamole, spicy pico de gallo, cilantro and red onion. It was delicious. Also made a side of fries baked in rapeseed oil. Granted, it took up a lot of my calories for the day, but with lighter dinner, it did fit in my macros.

I'm not a big burger person myself, but I love linguine bolognese, which I'll often have for one meal a day for a whole week or two, and that easily fits in my macros. I have a decent sized bowl too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Right, so was I. Saying it's not great to use certain restriction tactics, which is what I think ana was talking about, is different than saying everyone has to eat DingDongs, whether they like them or not.

Still not my point. You seem to be suggesting that restrictions you don't agree with would be bad for everyone. If I've misinterpreted, I apologize. If not, I disagree.

I'm thinking Lemurcat is more referring to the anxiety caused by the restriction. It can be fine for some people, but if the belief in the restriction crosses a line and causes anxiety about food decisions, then it might not be the best way to live.

Personally, I see no point in arbitrary restrictions, but others have reasons behind those same restrictions (making them not arbitrary for that individual), so more power to them.

Exactly.

Not sure where "exactly" comes in, as auddii seems to have understood what I was saying (which was not that restrictions are bad in themselves, but that encouraging anxiety or dysfunctional views about food are bad).

Sorry, I meant exactly this: Personally, I see no point in arbitrary restrictions, but others have reasons behind those same restrictions (making them not arbitrary for that individual), so more power to them.

No disagreement. I said nothing to the contrary.
    What you did/do only matters for you.

I sometimes wonder if you read what you respond to. I have not suggested that anyone do what I do or don't do something because I don't. I think low carb works for many people, although it wouldn't work for me. NEVER have I said that what I do is what others should do. In fact, I tend to focus on whole foods and so on and as I said upthread that's a matter of taste and pretending it's not that that it's a prescription for everyone (as the one poster did) is what I'm objecting to.
    What makes you binge only matters for you.

I don't binge. It's not a worry for me. However, I see a LOT of dysfunctional relationships with food and I think--as ana was saying--that labeling food as good and bad and approaching it in a non-logical, emotional way isn't, ultimately, helpful. If you have reasons for a particular restriction, that's different, obviously. I'm not anti restriction. I'm anti restrictions based on telling yourself lies about a food to try and make yourself afraid of or unlikely to want a food that you secretly desire, as I think that's a great way to create a disordered relationship and, for people inclined to binge, to binge. You see that all over MFP, and I've seen it off line.
    What you feel is restrictive only matters for you.

Nothing I've said is about what I think is restrictive.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    IN for bacon cheeseburgers!
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nothing I've said is about what I think is restrictive.

And yet restricition was the only thing I was discussing. :\
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg

I asked my husband to bring home bacon and ground beef tonight so we can have exactly this for supper. Yum.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes, but from an overall health (and performance!) standpoint there's a big difference between occasionally including a burger in your meal plan and eating nothing but burgers and cupcakes all the time.

Burgers are not inherently evil. Burgers have protein and fat and carbs, all of which you need in some degree. You can fit it in with reasonably careful management.

On the flip side, eating kale, quinoa, black beans and sweet potatoes will not make you immortal. Eat them if you like them, and they can be among the many great tools for constructing the basis of a healthy meal plan. But they're not freakin' magic.

You don't get extra credit for eliminating pleasure from your diet or only eating punishment food.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I could eat a Big Mac every day for dinner and still lose weight.

Actually, I did this before, except it was a Whopper. BK rules.

Whoppers are way > than Big Macs...

Word.

i have never heard of people genuinely liking BK over McDs. I'm not a burger fan in general, but McD fries and shakes trump BK's any day of the week.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

A McDonald's hamburger has, according to their online information, 240 calories. Even for those on the lower end of the calorie spectrum, a basic burger could probably fit in regularly. As to how it would impact your nutrition, I don't know.
  • bggghmnr
    bggghmnr Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, now I want a burger.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

who said that everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE?

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

so in your world a burger = a milkshake...?

totally legit...
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you're on a roll, OP, which it sounds like you are, then maybe consider whether this would disrupt all the goodness you have going. Everyone is right about calories in and calories out, no doubt, but there is also a lot of good research out there supporting the idea that big changes are easier to make than small. For me personally, that is the case with some foods. Easier on my body and mind to just not eat them. To each their own, but that burger needs to fit more than just your calories - it needs to fit in with the healthy and motivated mindset you are clearly using. Best wishes!
  • ndj1979
    Options

A McDonald's hamburger has, according to their online information, 240 calories. Even for those on the lower end of the calorie spectrum, a basic burger could probably fit in regularly. As to how it would impact your nutrition, I don't know.

it would depend on what you do with the rest of your day ...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg

I asked my husband to bring home bacon and ground beef tonight so we can have exactly this for supper. Yum.

What time shall I be there? I'll bring the cheesecake!
  • JamieMommy1985
    JamieMommy1985 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat red robin's turkey burger twice a month, YUM!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mary407 wrote: »
    If you're on a roll, OP, which it sounds like you are, then maybe consider whether this would disrupt all the goodness you have going. Everyone is right about calories in and calories out, no doubt, but there is also a lot of good research out there supporting the idea that big changes are easier to make than small. For me personally, that is the case with some foods. Easier on my body and mind to just not eat them. To each their own, but that burger needs to fit more than just your calories - it needs to fit in with the healthy and motivated mindset you are clearly using. Best wishes!

lol what???

maybe OP needs to adjust his mindset and realize that the whole "good" "bad" food mindset is going to end up sabotaging him in the long run. If he views burgers as "bad" and never eats them what happens when he gives in to them? Why not just realize they are neither good or bad and can be incorporated into an overall diet that meets ones dietary goals...
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Word.

i have never heard of people genuinely liking BK over McDs. I'm not a burger fan in general, but McD fries and shakes trump BK's any day of the week.

McD fries used to be better than they are now. Now they seem flat and relatively tasteless to me. I have not enjoyed the last several orders of fries I got from McD's - in fact I only ate a few then threw the rest out.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg

What time shall I be there? I'll bring the cheesecake!

Oh, now you did it....bacon cheeseburgers AND cheesecake!! Who will bring the wine???

• Liftng4Lis
    Options

Word.

The fries are better at McD's but a WHOPPER is the bomb!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Word.

The fries are better at McD's but a WHOPPER is the bomb!

man, I have not been to BK in forever...

we have a place about five minutes from my house in downtwon area that is a "build your own burger" joint and I always go there ...
This discussion has been closed.