Can you really eat a burger?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal, but wont have the control to compensate. You can eat nothing but pizza if you eat at a deficit, and eat 10 meals a day, and you will lose weight. But who eats ice cream in a huge portion and compensates for it? I never said CICO was not true.

To compensate... for... what?

Bob burns an average of 3000 calories in a day from his normal activities.
    He wakes up and eats 300 calories for breakfast, then another 500 at lunch, and another 200 as a small afternoon snack.
    He gets home and orders take-out, eating a 1000-calorie meal.
    3 hours later he another 500 calorie meal, maybe a fruit salad with some ice-cream on the side.
    2 hours later, he eats another 500 calorie meal, perhaps some dessert that he made.

Bob has eaten 3000 calories for the day, thus maintaining his weight despite eating both "bad" food and eating 2000 calories within ~5 hours.

If Bob is looking to lose weight, then those 500 cal meals can become 400 calories, creating a 300 calorie deficit. weight loss, boom.

Your logic and/or wording does not make sense.

bob gets fat because not enough metabolizing time between meals....

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Your developing some type of food neurosis does not make eating whole natural foods restrictive. There are a lot of food options using only whole natural foods. There is nothing inherently wrong with avoiding prepackaged foods.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with preserving food (such as canning) or enhancing the flavor of food either. There may be foods that taste better or worse when preserved or even specific foods where the nutrient value is decreased through preservation, but that doesn't make those foods "unclean." They may be good options depending on the time of year, other options available, and the rest of an individual's diet.

Tomatoes are awesome fresh in summer. I also think it's great to be able to used canned tomatoes in winter to make a sauce or soup.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Your developing some type of food neurosis does not make eating whole natural foods restrictive. There are a lot of food options using only whole natural foods. There is nothing inherently wrong with avoiding prepackaged foods.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with preserving food (such as canning) or enhancing the flavor of food either.

No, which is why I didn't suggest there was. It's a personal choice.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    You can eat for weight loss. That means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can eat for health. That means eating needed macro and micro nutrients, and not eating poisons (pesticides). You can eat fresh food that doesn't rely on preservatives if you decide that it tastes better and seems to retain more of the necessary micronutrients. You can eat what tastes good within your personal preference. And you can eat for all of the above. Eating for all of the above doesn't make a person "elitist." Make your own choices, people, according to your own priorities. Don't make me eat a Twinkie and I won't make you eat a roasted organic rutabaga, lol.
  • janejellyroll

But there is nothing inherently wrong with preserving food (such as canning) or enhancing the flavor of food either.

You didn't, but the person upthread was specifically talking about preservation and flavor-enhancing making foods "unclean," as well as touting the benefits of never eating canned foods.

If someone makes the choice to avoid certain foods, that's their business. However, promoting rhetoric about certain methods/ingredients making food "unclean" has a wider impact than the individual.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.

SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.

Seems pretty restrictive. I was able to live that way for about 4 years before my relationship with food became so bad that I literally would HATE my parents for buying potato chips for themselves, and I would hate the CHIPS for existing.

I think it somewhat goes to the reasons for it. I tend to eat whole foods (sometimes preserved as janejellyroll notes) because I prefer those foods. I like roasted potatoes with some olive oil, herbs, and salt better than almost all chips, and if someone else told me that was their preference I wouldn't find it weird at all. (And as mentioned above I find it mind-boggling that anyone eats boxed potatoes, just as I imagine some of the things I eat seem weird to others.) What I find odd or potentially unhelpful about some forms of "clean" eating is that it seems to depend on convincing yourself that foods you genuinely do want (like chips, if you are someone tempted by chips) are BAD and FAT PILLS and will ruin your health in any quantities, so must not be eaten. That seems a set up for a binge or feelings of guilt and shame about food, which are not uncommon.

I think it's great to develop your tastes for nutrient dense and fresh foods, and also think that many people who believe they dislike veggies would change their minds if they tried them fresh and/or properly cooked, so I like focusing on cooking and whole ingredients for that reason. I also personally don't eat lots of packaged foods or fast food because I dislike it, and would never suggest that someone who dislikes it eat it. But that's different than deciding that you must not eat these things either, even if you really want them, or you will get fat. I think a less emotional, more logical/fact-based approach is more likely to be helpful.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    You can really eat a burger
    You can eat it as a lurker
    You can eat it as a worker
    You can't eat it if it's murder
    But if you want one, then eat a burger
  • Need2Exerc1se
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.

SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.

Seems pretty restrictive. I was able to live that way for about 4 years before my relationship with food became so bad that I literally would HATE my parents for buying potato chips for themselves, and I would hate the CHIPS for existing.

I think it somewhat goes to the reasons for it. I tend to eat whole foods (sometimes preserved as janejellyroll notes) because I prefer those foods. I like roasted potatoes with some olive oil, herbs, and salt better than almost all chips, and if someone else told me that was their preference I wouldn't find it weird at all. (And as mentioned above I find it mind-boggling that anyone eats boxed potatoes, just as I imagine some of the things I eat seem weird to others.) What I find odd or potentially unhelpful about some forms of "clean" eating is that it seems to depend on convincing yourself that foods you genuinely do want (like chips, if you are someone tempted by chips) are BAD and FAT PILLS and will ruin your health in any quantities, so must not be eaten. That seems a set up for a binge or feelings of guilt and shame about food, which are not uncommon.

I think it's great to develop your tastes for nutrient dense and fresh foods, and also think that many people who believe they dislike veggies would change their minds if they tried them fresh and/or properly cooked, so I like focusing on cooking and whole ingredients for that reason. I also personally don't eat lots of packaged foods or fast food because I dislike it, and would never suggest that someone who dislikes it eat it. But that's different than deciding that you must not eat these things either, even if you really want them, or you will get fat. I think a less emotional, more logical/fact-based approach is more likely to be helpful.

Eat whatever you want.

I was discussing restriction. Thinking everyone has to eat prepackaged food or they will go on a binge seems ridiculous to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Right, so was I. Saying it's not great to use certain restriction tactics, which is what I think ana was talking about, is different than saying everyone has to eat DingDongs, whether they like them or not.

If you don't eat DingDongs because you just never feel like eating them, that's not restriction. If you don't eat them because you constantly tell yourself they are BAD and will cause you to gain 10 lbs immediately, for a lot of people that probably is a set up for a binge and also--of course--inaccurate.
  • Need2Exerc1se

You didn't, but the person upthread was specifically talking about preservation and flavor-enhancing making foods "unclean," as well as touting the benefits of never eating canned foods.

If someone makes the choice to avoid certain foods, that's their business. However, promoting rhetoric about certain methods/ingredients making food "unclean" has a wider impact than the individual.

How? Did the poster suggest everyone should eat that way? Or were they just sharing their personal preference in answer to question?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Right, so was I. Saying it's not great to use certain restriction tactics, which is what I think ana was talking about, is different than saying everyone has to eat DingDongs, whether they like them or not.

Still not my point. You seem to be suggesting that restrictions you don't agree with would be bad for everyone. If I've misinterpreted, I apologize. If not, I disagree.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

why not? it has fat and protein it...

I would get tired of eating burgers everyday anyway ..but once or twice a week in the context of hitting your calorie/micro/macro goal is not going to kill anyone....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    So I ask this question; can you really eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie allowance?

Yes... meet your nutritional needs and the rest is fair game.

• janejellyroll

How? Did the poster suggest everyone should eat that way? Or were they just sharing their personal preference in answer to question?

The poster made specific statements about "your body" feeling better if one eats fewer chemicals (which is a completely impossible goal,by the way).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Still not my point. You seem to be suggesting that restrictions you don't agree with would be bad for everyone. If I've misinterpreted, I apologize. If not, I disagree.

I'm thinking Lemurcat is more referring to the anxiety caused by the restriction. It can be fine for some people, but if the belief in the restriction crosses a line and causes anxiety about food decisions, then it might not be the best way to live.

Personally, I see no point in arbitrary restrictions, but others have reasons behind those same restrictions (making them not arbitrary for that individual), so more power to them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i like food.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I am eating three patties from Five Guys while reading this thread. It's clean eating, though, because I licked the grease off of them all.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Yes.
    You can eat whatever you want.
    Eating more calories than your body burns, causes you to gain weight.
    As in all things related to weight loss and/or maintaining a healthy weight, do what works for you and is sustainable. It is your life, your body and your choice, no one else's, and no one knows you better than you know yourself.
This discussion has been closed.