Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

who said that everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE?

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

so in your world a burger = a milkshake...?

totally legit...

How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    IN for bacon cheeseburgers!
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg

I asked my husband to bring home bacon and ground beef tonight so we can have exactly this for supper. Yum.

What time shall I be there? I'll bring the cheesecake!

Oh, now you did it....bacon cheeseburgers AND cheesecake!! Who will bring the wine???

i'm your huckleberry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.

That's kind of like saying that a glass of wine can't be part of a weight loss program because some people don't stop at one or that potato chips can be part of a weight loss program because some people eat the entire bag instead of a reasonable amount.

If someone isn't satisfied with a burger, they have the choice of adding things to the meal that will satisfy them without going over their calorie limit (a simple salad, a cup of soup, a piece of fruit) or they can trade off the satisfaction of the burger for feeling a bit unsatisfied until the next meal.

Would you be saying this if someone wanted a 240-300 calorie turkey sandwich as part of their regular lunch or dinner plan? Like any food, it may fit or it may not. and there is a huge variation in possible calorie counts. But there is nothing particular to the "burger" that makes it better or worse than any other sandwich.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

totally legit...

You read that incorrect. In their world burger is a treat as much as a milkshake. I understand it's in their little world that's how they take it.

They didn't say burger = milkshake.
  • runner475
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So with all the knowledge in hand does anyone know if OP ate or has yet to eat his their cheeseburger?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

Exactly.

There's burgers, and then there's burgers.

A burger to me is a Little Bacon Cheesburger "All The Way" from Five Guys. That's 783 calories.

Can you eat it? Of course you can. It's about half my daily allotment of calories. So yeah, you can eat it - if you want to eat nothing else for half the day.

The sad reality of weight loss is that this kind of eating that we have grown accustomed to as normal is preposterous and absurd. It's heartbreaking to realize that in the future my entire maintenance allotment of calories is going to be the equivalent of a few handfuls of nuts. A Wendy's single is going to be an extravagance.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

totally legit...

People who are training themselves to control their portion sizes will.

When I started Weight Watchers I learned that a single hamburger at McDonald's was 5 points (cheeseburger 7 or 8 points), small fries were 5 points...water is 0. (At least if I remember correctly.) I had, at that point, 22 or 24 points per day. I usually had a huge "0" points salad, like HUGE, with 2points worth of salad dressing for one meal, breakfast was often 5points or less...so I did have points to play around. I surprisingly was satisfied with a single burger and those fries and lots of water. So when the kids wanted McD's, I was very content getting a Happy Meal with water.

My WW days were not the most nutritious days - unlike MFP, WW didn't teach me anything about proper nutrition, but it did teach me that I could be satisfied with smaller portions.

A lot of of the time people eat MINDLESSLY out of habit - without thinking. We think "Oh I need much more than that to be satisfied" when it may not at all be the case. That's why someone can scarf down 3 pieces of pizza or a half dozen cookies without even realizing how much they just ate.

I am making bacon cheeseburgers for supper. I for one am not having a bun - I really don't eat a lot of bread, I don't enjoy it that much except for the occasional English muffin every now and then. For years I have ordered Red Robin burgers wrapped in lettuce. I don't do it all the time but I have done it more often than not.

Don't assume everyone is like you. We're all unique. :) We all have brains too to make wise choices. Going into the day today, I had no idea what to make for supper. Yay, problem solved thanks to this thread. :wink: And it's something we ALL (hubby and 3 teens and me) can eat and enjoy - "guilt free."

• SuggaD
    Options

That's kind of like saying that a glass of wine can't be part of a weight loss program because some people don't stop at one or that potato chips can be part of a weight loss program because some people eat the entire bag instead of a reasonable amount.

If someone isn't satisfied with a burger, they have the choice of adding things to the meal that will satisfy them without going over their calorie limit (a simple salad, a cup of soup, a piece of fruit) or they can trade off the satisfaction of the burger for feeling a bit unsatisfied until the next meal.

Would you be saying this if someone wanted a 240-300 calorie turkey sandwich as part of their regular lunch or dinner plan? Like any food, it may fit or it may not. and there is a huge variation in possible calorie counts. But there is nothing particular to the "burger" that makes it better or worse than any other sandwich.

The turkey sandwich can also be a treat, if its a 700 calorie turkey sandwich (e.g., 1-2x a year we go to this place after rides that serves a turkey club as big as 1 large plate. I don't want to even think about how many calories are in that thing. Yeah, that's a treat). That's the point. Most burgers are not 240-300 calories.
  • runner475
    edited March 2015
    Options

The turkey sandwich can also be a treat, if its a 700 calorie turkey sandwich (e.g., 1-2x a year we go to this place after rides that serves a turkey club as big as 1 large plate. I don't want to even think about how many calories are in that thing. Yeah, that's a treat). That's the point. Most burgers are not 240-300 calories.

I hope you are explicitly stating "treat" as in your lifestyle. Right?

EDTA: Nevermind OP came back to update us. I'm out of this thread.
  • mraudit2000
    mraudit2000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions, ideas, babble, MFP in-fighting, calorie bashing, clean eating stabbing, and everything else. Looks like I'm eating cow tonight!!!!!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

totally legit...

I don't eat any hamburger anymore. I haven't since I began MFP on 3/12/12. I make better choices for eating out now. No burger places for me. When I do have a burger, it is a homemade turkey burger, with a wheat bun, with 1/3 the calories of a regular bun or sometimes, no bun at all. I make better choices now, and for me, it does not include any hamburger, takeout or homemade. I have not had French fries in 3 years either. It is not the way I want to spend my calories and I can live without fried foods very nicely, and have done so for 3 years. My choice, and this is the way it is, and will be, for me.
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's the point -- a turkey sandwich can be a treat or it can be a food that easily fits into everyday plans. A burger can be the same way. The existence of that turkey sandwich shouldn't cause you to conclude that nobody can regularly eat a turkey sandwich without gaining weight.

Most burgers may not be 240 calories (although I think McDonald's sells quite a few of those 240 calorie burgers, tbh), but to use that logic to say all burgers are therefore treats -- regardless of what burger it is or what you eat with it -- is like saying that because most Americans eat gigantic portions of pasta that means pasta can only be a treat for everyone.

We are perfectly capable of controlling our portion sizes and what accompanies certain foods. A 240-300 sandwich could easily be a part of someone's regular meal plan.
  • SuggaD
    Options

That's the point -- a turkey sandwich can be a treat or it can be a food that easily fits into everyday plans. A burger can be the same way. The existence of that turkey sandwich shouldn't cause you to conclude that nobody can regularly eat a turkey sandwich without gaining weight.

Most burgers may not be 240 calories (although I think McDonald's sells quite a few of those 240 calorie burgers, tbh), but to use that logic to say all burgers are therefore treats -- regardless of what burger it is or what you eat with it -- is like saying that because most Americans eat gigantic portions of pasta that means pasta can only be a treat for everyone.

We are perfectly capable of controlling our portion sizes and what accompanies certain foods. A 240-300 sandwich could easily be a part of someone's regular meal plan.

High calorie foods are (or should be) treats for the average person. Does that work better for you?
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

totally legit...

Me. When I crave a fast food burger (not often because I'd rather have a gourmet burger at home, but it does happen sometimes), I get either a Wendy's Jr. Deluxe cheese burger without mayo (290 calories) and value fries (220 calories) or a McDonald's cheeseburger happy meal (420 calories for the entire meal). Both completely satisfy my craving for a fast food cheeseburger and fries. It's just enough for me and both meals are in my typical calorie range for lunch.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

High calorie foods are (or should be) treats for the average person. Does that work better for you?

I personally have had success with just using portion control to include some high calorie foods (nuts, oil, etc) in a calorie deficit plan. But I'm sure that isn't the only approach that would work.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    IN for bacon cheeseburgers!
    vjuxn2c2kefy.jpeg

I asked my husband to bring home bacon and ground beef tonight so we can have exactly this for supper. Yum.

What time shall I be there? I'll bring the cheesecake!

Oh, now you did it....bacon cheeseburgers AND cheesecake!! Who will bring the wine???

i'm your huckleberry.

Sweet! It's a date - Dinner at Wizzy's, 6pm. LOL

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions, ideas, babble, MFP in-fighting, calorie bashing, clean eating stabbing, and everything else. Looks like I'm eating cow tonight!!!!!!

Right!
    Don't forget to add some:
    cetwtut0efsn.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

totally legit...

You read that incorrect. In their world burger is a treat as much as a milkshake. I understand it's in their little world that's how they take it.

They didn't say burger = milkshake.

lets review the record...

here is the direct quote;

"It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories"

pray tell, what does that sentence then mean?

I think its cute that you referee all the threads...keep up the good work...
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    If I had to give up burgers (bacon, fries, chocolate, whatever) in order to lose weight, it just wouldn't work for me. In fact, I've given up those things in the past, lost weight and then found it all again. Didn't work. This time I'm just having less of most things rather than cutting anything out. That's something I can do for the rest of my life.

Same. And I'm too lazy to make two meals. I generally eat a veggie burger because we have hamburgers so often, but if I really wanted a burger or needed to hit my protein/fat, I would.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

totally legit...

I can eat a Wendy's single and be totally satisfied..

just checked my diary and I can have a five ounce burger of 93/7 ground beef from Publix for just about 200 calories + bun 150 calories = 350 calories throw in about 100 calories of toping and it comes in at 450 calories, that is hardly a lot ..hell, even if you are on a 1200 calorie a day diet, which is an absolute minimum that is still only 25% of your calories...

This discussion has been closed.