Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    so just because you have to have the 800 calorie burger means that we all do?

So just because you're satisfied with Demolition Man portions means that we all are?
    your maintenance level is a handful of nuts? What is that like 400 calories???

Please read more thoroughly. I said maintenance level would be a few handfuls of nuts. About 1200-1500 calories.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So just because you're satisfied with Demolition Man portions means that we all are?

Please read more thoroughly. I said maintenance level would be a few handfuls of nuts. About 1200-1500 calories.

Na, I like big portions and my dinner is typically 1000+ calories, but I don't extrapolate that out to everyone else in the population.

how is a grown mans maintenance level 1400 calories? I am a 35 year old male and my maintenance calories are about 2700 ....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    *catches up on thread*

Man, now I want to go to Smashburger
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    *catches up on thread*

I know right??
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

All things in moderation. Period.

I'm not trying to argue--I mean, this is a discussion about burgers, seems like it ought to be good-natured!--but I honestly don't understand what makes a burger especially high calorie compared to any other meat plus starch/grains component of a meal so I'm trying to better understand. I usually don't eat the bun (because I'd rather have potatoes or sweet potatoes), but the meat portion is no higher calorie than most meat options of similar size. (If I did eat the bun I wouldn't also eat potatoes, so the calories would even out.) Pork shoulder or lamb shanks are going to be higher calorie meat options for lower protein for the calories, and yet I fit those in too--yes, I wouldn't want a burger every day because, well, boring, but I'm wondering if the fact that you don't do non turkey burgers (if I'm following) is causing you to assume it's a higher calorie meal inherently than it is. And as Need2Exerc1se* says, add some veggies and the macros/balanced meal consideration works just fine. That's what I do with any dinner and burgers are no exception.

Edit: hmm, I wonder if some of this is just different ideas about how to create a lower calorie meal. I know some like to cut calories on meat by focusing on the least calorie options like skinless, boneless chicken breast or white fish and for me it's easy enough to fit in a huge variety of meat options and just reduce higher calorie sides and add more veggies. So a burger--especially a leaner one, but really any made at home--is not going to seem a high calorie option.

*Burgers have brought us together!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    eat 2, then go work it off
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Wow just read all of this and the only thing I got out of it is I want this now:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuIkhbVDZMGusF3FP0bUaEiPGlvxqlfHJmxFU24pccJkV3UqPP
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    *catches up on thread*

I know right??

And a cold frosty beer to go with! Yum!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    *catches up on thread*

I know right??

And a cold frosty beer to go with! Yum!
    Mmmm an oatmeal stout plz.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You guys are the only ones applying things to everyone. And I am not making extreme arguments. It is a fact that most people can't eat high calorie foods every day. Most people can't afford that almost 700 calorie food (burger or whatever) every day. Stop making what I say extreme. Yippee that you can.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that there are many burger options that aren't high calorie?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

My maintenance will be around 1300 calories and I'm a 5'1" 52 year old woman.

Try pulling the other one.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that there are many burger options that aren't high calorie?

You know, I read through to the end of the whole thread hoping someone would make this point.

• kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

Hogwash.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with a burger? If you pulled a burger apart and served it on a plate it would look like a decent meal.

You got a bit of meat with some BBQ sauce. Some salad including lettuce, onion, beetroot, tomato etc and a bread roll.

I still think people put to much emphasis on brands etc. like if you ate home made bacon and eggs and cheese on toast your having a good breakfast but if you have a bacon and egg mcmuffins or the subway equivalent your eating junk food and that's bad some how.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    My 1/4 lb bacon cheeseburger plus tomato and onion = 379 calories and 34 grams of protein. granted it is sans bun but i already said i usually skip the bun anyway.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmm. and i still have almost 200 calories left.
This discussion has been closed.