Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.

What's wrong with wanting something with your burger? Or having a meal that is > 300 calories? When we have burgers I usually make it a point to have a vegetable side to make the meal more balanced. Usually it's just some raw veggie sticks, but it could be a small salad or some roasted vegetable(s).
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

The turkey sandwich can also be a treat, if its a 700 calorie turkey sandwich (e.g., 1-2x a year we go to this place after rides that serves a turkey club as big as 1 large plate. I don't want to even think about how many calories are in that thing. Yeah, that's a treat). That's the point. Most burgers are not 240-300 calories.

That's the point -- a turkey sandwich can be a treat or it can be a food that easily fits into everyday plans. A burger can be the same way. The existence of that turkey sandwich shouldn't cause you to conclude that nobody can regularly eat a turkey sandwich without gaining weight.

Most burgers may not be 240 calories (although I think McDonald's sells quite a few of those 240 calorie burgers, tbh), but to use that logic to say all burgers are therefore treats -- regardless of what burger it is or what you eat with it -- is like saying that because most Americans eat gigantic portions of pasta that means pasta can only be a treat for everyone.

We are perfectly capable of controlling our portion sizes and what accompanies certain foods. A 240-300 sandwich could easily be a part of someone's regular meal plan.

High calorie foods are (or should be) treats for the average person. Does that work better for you?

I disagree. I prefer to eat two small meals during the day and a big dinner, or two large meals on the weekends. One of those large meals can easily be 1000 calories (I eat 1700 cals on maintenance w/ no exercise). Pizza, burgers, pasta, etc. can all easily meet my macros. I don't need to classify it as a treat. It's part of my planned day, it's filling, it meets my goals, and it's delicious. And if I make it myself, I can ensure it's loaded up with micronutrients too. Food is food, and it meets your goals or it doesn't.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How many people are going to eat a Wendy's single and be satisfied? 300 calorie burger at home is also very unlikely. I make burgers (albeit turkey) at home fairly regularly and by the time you add a bun and toppings....a lot of calories. And am I going to want just the burger for lunch? Nope. I don't think most people are that different.

Exactly.

There's burgers, and then there's burgers.

A burger to me is a Little Bacon Cheesburger "All The Way" from Five Guys. That's 783 calories.

Can you eat it? Of course you can. It's about half my daily allotment of calories. So yeah, you can eat it - if you want to eat nothing else for half the day.

The sad reality of weight loss is that this kind of eating that we have grown accustomed to as normal is preposterous and absurd. It's heartbreaking to realize that in the future my entire maintenance allotment of calories is going to be the equivalent of a few handfuls of nuts. A Wendy's single is going to be an extravagance.

so just because you have to have the 800 calorie burger means that we all do?

I love how you take an extreme example from a higher calorie place and apply it across the board...

your maintenance level is a handful of nuts? What is that like 400 calories???

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

A burger does not inherently have lots of calories, though.

If you make a normal sized one (.25-.33 lb) of 90-95% lean beef, it's a pretty low calorie main dish. If you consider the bun a replacement for a starch course or leave it out (as I normally) do and add veggies, it's no more a treat (in terms of being lower nutrient or higher calorie) than some chicken or pork chops or salmon or steak. Burgers are only an issue for me sometimes because I get meat from a farm and so it tends not to be as lean as what you can buy at the grocery store (the trade-off works for me), but that's no more an issue than, say, having a steak.

I don't recommend having a burger a day because I'm in favor of variety and don't think an all red meat diet is ideal (and personally prefer other starch options to bread most of the time), but the calories aren't inherently that high. I ate them without too much trouble even when I was at 1250.

Obviously restaurant burgers are different (I suspect a really good restaurant burger has more calories than the average fast food burger even), but I don't assume people mean restaurant food when they ask about a burger. (Similarly adding in actual French fries vs., say, roasted potatoes, would create more of a calorie challenge, and I'm weird in that baked fries don't interest me--I'd rather have roasted potatoes and keep actual fries for an occasional treat.)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    People are too apt to pin their own personal rules up as "Rules for Everyone to Follow for a Happy Healthy Life."

Live and let live people....
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Exactly.

There's burgers, and then there's burgers.

A burger to me is a Little Bacon Cheesburger "All The Way" from Five Guys. That's 783 calories.

Can you eat it? Of course you can. It's about half my daily allotment of calories. So yeah, you can eat it - if you want to eat nothing else for half the day.

The sad reality of weight loss is that this kind of eating that we have grown accustomed to as normal is preposterous and absurd. It's heartbreaking to realize that in the future my entire maintenance allotment of calories is going to be the equivalent of a few handfuls of nuts. A Wendy's single is going to be an extravagance.

so just because you have to have the 800 calorie burger means that we all do?

I love how you take an extreme example from a higher calorie place and apply it across the board...

your maintenance level is a handful of nuts? What is that like 400 calories???
    Must be part breatharian.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    only on MFP can the concept of a burger get so controversial ...
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Is it wrong that I sing the title of this thread to "Do you Want to Build a Snowman?"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's not emotion. I have no emotional issue with food. I tend to stick to whole foods, but moderation is my overall philosophy. Back to the burger.... It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories. Most people cannot have one every day and lose or maintain their weight. They just don't have the calories for it, at least not if they want to maintain good nutrition. I wish folks on here would recognize that not everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE to play with.

On a 1350-1400 calorie allotment, I have no trouble fitting in a burger and I do not consider it a treat, as it's food! I will be the first on here to say i often talk about cheesecake or chocolate. After my macros are met, if I have room, then I get to have these things. It's all about priorities. So I personally, don't drink my calories and exercise more that day to make a little bigger deficit.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat a burger. In fact, that is going to be my dinner today and I am very much looking forward to it. The thing with burgers and other high-calorie meals is knowing how to fit it into your allowed calories. It also depends if you make it yourself of if you're ordering at a restaurant. For example, my burger today is going to be around 560 calories cause it is home-made and I was able to count exactly what went in it so it is very easy to fit it into my day. However, if I am going to my favorite local burger place, I know my burger will be at least 850 calories, so I will simply plan for it beforehand (just keeping my breakfast and lunch calories low). Also, don't get the double cheeseburger with a million toppings.

The only sane way to weight-loss for me is being able to enjoy the foods I crave, just not all in one sitting or everyday.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

On a 1350-1400 calorie allotment, I have no trouble fitting in a burger and I do not consider it a treat, as it's food! I will be the first on here to say i often talk about cheesecake or chocolate. After my macros are met, if I have room, then I get to have these things. It's all about priorities. So I personally, don't drink my calories and exercise more that day to make a little bigger deficit.

You guys are missing the point. Can I fit a high calorie burger into my day everyday? Nope. And most people can't. On occasion, sure. And so can everyone. Good for you if you can fit it in every day. You are not in the majority. You guys are really arguing with the wrong person, just to argue. I'm not a food restricter or advocating restricting. Moderation means just that, not indulging in high calorie foods every single day. And it really isn't just calories. Those fast food burgers are high in everything and will likely throw off an average person's macros.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions, ideas, babble, MFP in-fighting, calorie bashing, clean eating stabbing, and everything else. Looks like I'm eating cow tonight!!!!!!
    +1

• ndj1979
    Options

You guys are missing the point. Can I fit a high calorie burger into my day everyday? Nope. And most people can't. On occasion, sure. And so can everyone. Good for you if you can fit it in every day. You are not in the majority. You guys are really arguing with the wrong person, just to argue. I'm not a food restricter or advocating restricting. Moderation means just that, not indulging in high calorie foods every single day. And it really isn't just calories. Those fast food burgers are high in everything and will likely throw off an average person's macros.

why do you assume that everyone has the same low calorie allotment that you do?

for the record, how low is this calorie allotment of yours? I am guessing 1200, but I don't want to assume...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Yes. But I think its important to think of treats as treats. A cheeseburger is a treat and shouldn't be had every day. Same for other similar foods.

A cheeseburger isn't a treat. It's just a piece of food. One that's composed of certain micro and macro-nutrients. That then contributes towards the micro/macro balance and calorific content of your overall diet.

Take the emotion out of it people. It's just food.

Just make it tasty, that's all I ask...

who said that everyone has a 3000 calorie TDEE?

you can get a Wendy's single and it come in at 400 calories, that is hardly "breaking the bank" ...OR just make your own and they come in at 300 calories depending on what kind of meat and toppings you choose...

so in your world a burger = a milkshake...?

totally legit...

You read that incorrect. In their world burger is a treat as much as a milkshake. I understand it's in their little world that's how they take it.

They didn't say burger = milkshake.

lets review the record...

here is the direct quote;

"It is a treat as much as a milkshake is, i.e., especially a fast food burger, is high in calories"

pray tell, what does that sentence then mean?

I think its cute that you referee all the threads...keep up the good work...

No I don't referee all the threads. Just the threads with special snowflakes.

I really, really, really want to now to ask this poster SuggaD to whom is burger a treat? Now that I read more and more their comments it seems they are enforcing this "treat" on everyone. But I could be wrong.

I don't eat cheeseburger but I do eat Turkey and Salmon minus bun. And it is not a treat for me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Not all burgers are high calorie as has been pointed out several dozen times already on this thread
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

for the record, how low is this calorie allotment of yours? I am guessing 1200, but I don't want to assume...

Why are YOU assuming I have a low calorie allotment? I'm at maintenance and my maintenance calories are between 2300-2600. As I am hungry all day, I'm not blowing up to 1000 calories on a single burger every day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Then don't eat high calorie burgers everyday. Easy peasy.

You do realize that the fast food industry is not the only source for burgers, right?
  • wizzybeth
    edited March 2015
    Options

Some people most certainly can fit a high calorie burger into their everyday diet if they want to. When I'm working on the road I frequently skip breakfast and often only have a light lunch - I am on the go and since I do not always have access to bathrooms I limit my food and drink during those times - and I'm busy and not thinking about food. So it's reasonable for me on my "busy work days" to end the day with 800+ calories to consume. Esp. if I've only snacked on raw veggies like green beans or pepper strips or grape tomatoes during the day and not even taking into account I often accumulate 3000+ steps outside of my normal day to day routine during this time. If I were out on the road more often, I could do this more often, but when I am working from home my mind is more easily distracted and tells me I want something to eat, lol
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Why are YOU assuming I have a low calorie allotment? I'm at maintenance and my maintenance calories are between 2300-2600. As I am hungry all day, I'm not blowing up to 1000 calories on a single burger every day.

Strawman argument is strawman
This discussion has been closed.