Anyone else going the herbalife diet? If so can you recommend any low calorie but high protein snack

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    People need to make their own decisions. Sometimes they're bad ones.

So it goes.

Well said.

I am new here and I have to say that I admire the passion that so many of you have, and the time you take to steer people away from scams and/or unhealthy habits to a healthy, sustainable way of eating. It seems like much of the time you're banging your heads against a wall. I guess at some point, you just have to let people make their own mistakes.

Personally, I enjoy food too much (hence my presence here) to give it up for nothing but shakes, even if they are tasty. And I've always loved the "I'm so super busy" line. The implication being, of course, that those of us who choose to eat real food do nothing but lie around and read romance novels.

I was a lurker for a long time. I didn't come into this knowing how to lose weight, get healthy or get into shape. It was topics like this that taught me a lot. I started paying attention to the posts of a few people and finally started figuring things out.

It's easy to think we don't have time to fix healthy meals during the week. I'm a single parent with a full time job. After some trial and error I've managed to figure out how to prepare (or at least pre-prep) food for an entire week in an hour on Sunday evenings. Once the boys go to bed I get to work before I relax with my romance novel ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I get that people of the MFP do not like Herbalife. But expensive eating habits are not new, and as long as it's a deficit, who gives a flying flick who uses Herbalife? I may fork out $7 for a shake at my nearby "wellness" center every now and then because they have the tastiest M*Fing shakes I've tried so.... who the flip cares.

Because of the links posted about how they aren't safe?

They're also super tasty because 1/3 of them is sugar (36 of the 90 calories).

Sugar content isn't a problem for me cos I only eat one meal so generally don't go over and the links could just be bad publicity you shouldn't believe everything you read there are also a lot of positive and success stories out there too. Oh and many things are not safe in life that people still do like smoking, drinking alcohol, eating fast food, consuming to much salt and sugar etc causes many health problems but many of us partake in at least one or two bad habits which aren't great for our health. Why are you so against it is it personal experience or personal opinion?

There are SO many holes in your logic that you had better log a slice of Swiss cheese.

By the way, what you are saying about "many of us partake in at least one or two bad habits?" It's totally part of the Herbalife marketing spiel. No, not all of us have ANY bad health habits.

And o wouldn't say eating chocolate for breakfast is a good habit but everyone's opinion is different, seems to me your preaching but you should worry about yourself rather than leaving sarcastic comments, I viewed your food diary a lot of things I wouldn't say are healthy and even go as far as saying are bad habits for example having chocolate for breakfast and just so you know I'm not criticising you just making a point everyone is different, have different opinions to what is good or bad
    Good luck with your goals and thanks for your sarcasm it made me giggle luckily I'm quite a sarcastic person too and find debates interested and challenging and not too sensitive to take it to heart as others could
    Take care

I had tiny cups of chocolate PUDDING for breakfast several days ago. I needed something to swallow with in order to take my prescription. You may have missed the note about the fact that I was sick and could barely keep anything down. I have not been eating normally for the last week and that is CLEARLY marked in my diary for anybody who is able to read. Eating chocolate pudding is absolutely NOT a habit, which you would know if you look back in my diary more than a couple of days.

You may also have missed the fact that I've lost nearly 90 pounds...and that I have done so in spite of several very serious medical problems.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This thread just made my sunday at work so much better.

Oh and I ended up with fatty liver problems because of those stupid shakes. Happy?
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's a suggestion. Next time you want people to only tell you what you want to hear about a weight loss product, GOOGLE IT INSTEAD. That way you'll get loads of "reviews" saying how awesome it is and be able to filter out the ones that didn't have success. Clearly this is what you want, so why are you wasting your time here?
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I get that people of the MFP do not like Herbalife. But expensive eating habits are not new, and as long as it's a deficit, who gives a flying flick who uses Herbalife? I may fork out $7 for a shake at my nearby "wellness" center every now and then because they have the tastiest M*Fing shakes I've tried so.... who the flip cares.

Sugar content isn't a problem for me cos I only eat one meal so generally don't go over and the links could just be bad publicity you shouldn't believe everything you read there are also a lot of positive and success stories out there too. Oh and many things are not safe in life that people still do like smoking, drinking alcohol, eating fast food, consuming to much salt and sugar etc causes many health problems but many of us partake in at least one or two bad habits which aren't great for our health. Why are you so against it is it personal experience or personal opinion?

There are SO many holes in your logic that you had better log a slice of Swiss cheese.

By the way, what you are saying about "many of us partake in at least one or two bad habits?" It's totally part of the Herbalife marketing spiel. No, not all of us have ANY bad health habits.

And o wouldn't say eating chocolate for breakfast is a good habit but everyone's opinion is different, seems to me your preaching but you should worry about yourself rather than leaving sarcastic comments, I viewed your food diary a lot of things I wouldn't say are healthy and even go as far as saying are bad habits for example having chocolate for breakfast and just so you know I'm not criticising you just making a point everyone is different, have different opinions to what is good or bad
    Good luck with your goals and thanks for your sarcasm it made me giggle luckily I'm quite a sarcastic person too and find debates interested and challenging and not too sensitive to take it to heart as others could
    Take care

This is the most ignorant thing you've said to date. You say you're not criticizing her, but you're judging her ONE TIME consumption of chocolate pudding as unhealthy/a bad habit? I had a spoonful of Nutella this morning. It was within my calories and DELICIOUS. No regrets.

Herbalife is thought to cause liver damage and has MANY chemical additives in their shakes. If you want to consume them and endanger your health because you're too lazy to cook a chicken breast or throw together a salad, that's your problem, but you're not going to get much support on here and that's just how it is.

I just lost a friend this weekend from liver failure. She was 27 years old and a two year dedicated advocate and user of Herbalife. While there is no proof her liver failure was caused by her daily consumption of Herbalife, her clean bill of health (aside from obesity and asthma) prior to her weight loss leads her family and husband to believe it was.

Take your risks, with all of the studies and testimonials of its dangers being done. Consume it. Go for it. It doesn't harm me. I like to believe in a little thing called survival of the fittest.

But don't be a flag-happy hypocrite. If you don't want the truth, get off the internet.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Take care

This is the most ignorant thing you've said to date. You say you're not criticizing her, but you're judging her ONE TIME consumption of chocolate pudding as unhealthy/a bad habit? I had a spoonful of Nutella this morning. It was within my calories and DELICIOUS. No regrets.

Herbalife is thought to cause liver damage and has MANY chemical additives in their shakes. If you want to consume them and endanger your health because you're too lazy to cook a chicken breast or throw together a salad, that's your problem, but you're not going to get much support on here and that's just how it is.

I just lost a friend this weekend from liver failure. She was 27 years old and a two year dedicated advocate and user of Herbalife. While there is no proof her liver failure was caused by her daily consumption of Herbalife, her clean bill of health (aside from obesity and asthma) prior to her weight loss leads her family and husband to believe it was.

Take your risks, with all of the studies and testimonials of its dangers being done. Consume it. Go for it. It doesn't harm me. I like to believe in a little thing called survival of the fittest.

But don't be a flag-happy hypocrite. If you don't want the truth, get off the internet.

Chemical additives... it's kind of how you pur nutrition into a powder form.

Please cite peer-reviewed studies showing conclusive evidence that Herbalife is the cause of what people claim to be health issues cause by Herbalife. Factor in whether they themselves were consuming too much protien altogether, whether they read labels, what was marketed.

I get that it's MLM. I get that some people have adverse affects to stimulants, protein, soy etc. Logically, we shouldn't demonize things based on anecdotal evidence.

That's like agreeing with someone that vaccines cause autism because vaccines coincide with the time frame that autism is usually discovered in babies.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is the most ignorant thing you've said to date. You say you're not criticizing her, but you're judging her ONE TIME consumption of chocolate pudding as unhealthy/a bad habit?

I agree; the "chocolate for breakfast" comment was completely off the mark and unfair.

But that's what people do when they have no argument. She may as well have stuck out her tongue and said, "I'm rubber, you're glue".

• ogmomma2012
    Options
    This thread just made my sunday at work so much better.

Oh and I ended up with fatty liver problems because of those stupid shakes. Happy?

Do you know for sure that was the cause? There are many reasons people can get fatty liver, if that was found out 100% you'd have a settlement case and they would give you bu-ku bucks.
  • krysmuree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Take care

Please cite peer-reviewed studies showing conclusive evidence that Herbalife is the cause of what people claim to be health issues cause by Herbalife. Factor in whether they themselves were consuming too much protien altogether, whether they read labels, what was marketed.

I get that it's MLM. I get that some people have adverse affects to stimulants, protein, soy etc. Logically, we shouldn't demonize things based on anecdotal evidence.

That's like agreeing with someone that vaccines cause autism because vaccines coincide with the time frame that autism is usually discovered in babies.

Anything advertising a NATURAL product should not be using SUCLAROSE (Splenda, anyone?) in their products as a primary sweetener - or using it at all!

You're picking a fight with the wrong person - I've read all of the below articles thoroughly for a college paper. Enjoy a little reading.

Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Do a little Google research before you start putting things that haven't been thoroughly researched into your body. Better yet, stop being lazy and spend your money on wholesome food. Avoid products that are put out by companies who refuse to FULLY disclose everything that is within said product.

And no, it is NOTHING like autism and vaccines.

Vaccines save LIVES. Even if vaccines did cause autism in children, WHICH IT DOES NOT, I'd rather have a healthy, happy autistic child than have my child dead.

Herbalife does NOT save lives. It is NOT worth the risk.
    It gives false security and potentially severe health consequences to people who want weight loss and are too lazy or impatient to do it the old fashioned way.
  • krysmuree
    Options

Take care

Vaccines - medically proven method of safeguarding human health
    Herbalife - a potentially deleterious concoction sold by a cult-like multilevel marketing organization to the unsuspecting and/or desperate.

Day, meet Night

This! (*)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP just drink your herbalife. Let the chips fall where they may :smile:
    Personally I choose to stay away from mlm schemes. Partly because of their overzealous sales reps, their hugely overinflated prices and the BS claims they shove down desperate overweight peoples throats :disappointed:
  • ogmomma2012
    edited March 2015
    Options

Take care

Anything advertising a NATURAL product should not be using SUCLAROSE (Splenda, anyone?) in their products as a primary sweetener - or using it at all!

You're picking a fight with the wrong person - I've read all of the below articles thoroughly for a college paper. Enjoy a little reading.

Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Do a little Google research before you start putting things that haven't been thoroughly researched into your body. Better yet, stop being lazy and spend your money on wholesome food. Avoid products that are put out by companies who refuse to FULLY disclose everything that is within said product.

Notice that in these links, no one is under 30. Age matters when consuming dietary supplements, herbal or sythetic (either of which can be dangerous OR helpful)

Link one: Damage to the liver does not indicate that herbalife is guilty of purposeful harm, especially in such a small study of cases. It also states that herbs in large doses can be harmful. Green tea extract was mentioned as a dangerous herbal substance.

Link two: Specifically about contamination of Herbalife supplements, which can happen to anything. Also mentions that correlation does NOT equal causation and the hypothesis is entirely speculative, though it mentions that herbal treatments and supplements becoming popular could increase these cases as more and more people use too much of them.

3rd link: Found myself digging around trying to find positive correlation other than herbalife being a line of herbal supplements which, again, mentions caution because too much can cause liver problems. ALL herbal supplements.

4th link: There's only one part in the study that just bascially says the Herblife distributors were complete *kitten* and did not recommend ceasing Herbalife and tell them to go see a doctor. It does show a slight causal relation, but obviously more needs to be studied.
    A few quotes: "No radiological evidence
    for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) was
    found in any of the imaging studies. Gastroscopy
    (n = 2) revealed no evidence of portal hypertension."
    "No
    evidence for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
    was found in any of the biopsies."
    "Despite the alleged association between Herbalife
    consumption and hepatic toxicity noted in the two case
    series, it is not possible to conclude at present whether
    consumption of Herbalife products pose a major
    health threat to the general public. Toxicity occurred
    in a minority of consumers, and may result from a hepatotoxic
    ingredient, overdose of an otherwise safe ingredient
    or contamination during product processing, in
    combination with individual predisposition"

Stop being lazy?? F***, I probably read more about those studies than you did, and really if you apply the same logic to all herbal supplements, just stop taking any of them because they can cause liver damage. TA-F*****-DA.

I get them as a treat, maybe 3 per month. I make my own damned food. I just like RESEARCH instead of INSULTS AND FEAR MONGERING.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    This is the most ignorant thing you've said to date. You say you're not criticizing her, but you're judging her ONE TIME consumption of chocolate pudding as unhealthy/a bad habit?

I agree; the "chocolate for breakfast" comment was completely off the mark and unfair.

But that's what people do when they have no argument. She may as well have stuck out her tongue and said, "I'm rubber, you're glue".

Yep, major logical fallacy.

Notice that the person who is trying to use my diary against me has hers locked down...
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    BTW, if your low-fat no-whip soy mocha whatever has no-calorie sweetener, does that automatically diqualify Chai from being an herb all of a sudden? NO.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Dbl post

In response before it all double posted, I agree that wether it's intentional or not, something should be fixed if it causes significant harm to a large percentage of users (which the studies do not show). If you were to apply this logic to all herbal lines of supplements, I bet there would be more settlements and/or probably strict regulation on dose and application.
    However, every supplement reads "this is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent any disease" and because of low regulation standards this seems to be all that is needed at the basic level of labeling.

EVERYTHING has the potential to harm, especially when taken in higher dosages and with respect to age, genetics, underlying health condition and predispositions. Acetominophen has caused drug induced problems in the liver. HIV medication has caused drug induced problems in the liver.

That doesn't mean that these things don't work.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    BTW, if your low-fat no-whip soy mocha whatever has no-calorie sweetener, does that automatically diqualify Chai from being an herb all of a sudden? NO.

Um...what? What do soy mochas have to do with chai? Chai means tea in several languages--nothing to do with coffee, or herbs...

To whom is this directed?
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

Um...what? What do soy mochas have to do with chai? Chai means tea in several languages--nothing to do with coffee, or herbs...

To whom is this directed?

The person who thinks just because sugar-substitute is added to something it takes away any benefit that other ingredients may have.