Do you count coffee as water?

Options

Replies

• kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the reason for asking. Are you trying to look at it from a hydration point of view, because then as others have stated non caffeinated, no calorie drinks can count. But if you are looking from a health perspective, then no. But as it was also said it's up to you what you choose to do, personally I would say keep it simple stupid. If you are logging water only log water not things with water in them.
    Exactly, coca cola has water in it should that be logged as water?? Hecka no - "keep it simple" water is water, no additives
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How many times are we going to have the same question asked, Water is water pure and simple. Just because one uses water to make coffee, tea, add to juice, soup etc, does not make it water. I have never seen coffee, tea etc comes out of the water faucet.

If one wants to use tea, coffee etc as their water thats between them and the scale which does not lie. I log water as water and my scale does not lie.

super rude. i found this water question really helpful and was very disappointed to see such a snarky reply to it. its this kind of thing that makes me nervous to post my questions.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes. The diuretic effects of caffeine are negligible. Your body will use it as water so you should count it as water.
    Perhaps but I know several people that use the morning coffe to help keep them regular.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes. The diuretic effects of caffeine are negligible. Your body will use it as water so you should count it as water.
    Perhaps but I know several people that use the morning coffe to help keep them regular.

Pooping and peeing are two totally different things. Unless you're a bird. Then they are the same thing.
  • Dawnymaries
    Dawnymaries Posts: 109
    Options
    (Black) Coffee may be low in calories, but it dehydrates you, so no. Water is water. Coffee is coffee. :)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, and ice, which is is frozen water. Not coffee, not tea, not light beer. I am am all for those beverages, but if your going toto trouble of counting water, count H20.

^ This Exactly
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Might as well log the water in your food too if you wanna log coffee.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    Logging water is a pain. Does the diuretic effect of caffeine completely cancel out the water in the coffee, or only part? How big a part? How much water is your body extracting from your food?

Obviously, I have a much too analytical personality to log water!

Maybe this is icky to some people... but just go off how yellow your pee is. The more yellow, the more dehydrated you are. Drink water in response. Easy.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I count water as my water. :drinker:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Love coffee but no, I do not count it as water. Water is water.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I count herbal tea, squash (zero calories) and water as water. coffee or normal tea is counted as a drink.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    On any of the "diet" programs I have been on (too many to think about it), only non-caffeinated liquids could be counted as "water." So, if you are drinking caramel colored sodas (coke/pepsi), they have to be non-caffeinated to count as water. Same goes for coffee and teas, as they are natural diuretics. Not sure if this is still valid in current thinking. Think of a hospital's "clear liquid diet" (i.e., water, broths, jellos, ginger ale) as water.
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but when I get a Trenta unsweetened iced green tea, I log it as water.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    nope... doesn't count. it's not 'good' for you per say... you should drink MORE water if you have cafeine. I log coffee as coffee.

FYI, starbucks coffee has calories - even black!
  • DivaSlimsDown
    Options
    I don't count anything but pure water as my water for the day.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    If its not straight water, I don't log it.

so for example, if someone were to drink 3 gallons of Sprite every day and nothing else, they would be dehydrated?

seems legit.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Coffee dehydrates you. Water hydrates you. Therefore Coffee is not water. It may contain water (as does lettuce, tomatoes... infact, pretty much any food) but it is NOT water.

Water is just that... water!
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    No. Water is water. Nothing else.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I count all water as water. That includes coffee, tea, flavored water or plain water.

This^^
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I count everything as water. Coffee, tea, soda water. I do, however, drink my coffee black, my tea plain, and my soda water without flavoring.