Do you count coffee as water?

Options

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    How about this? If the molecular formula of whatever your drinking deviates from a combination of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it's not H20.

Your body will still take the hydration from the drink.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Might as well log the water in your food too if you wanna log coffee.

So true.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    If its not straight water, I don't log it.

so for example, if someone were to drink 3 gallons of Sprite every day and nothing else, they would be dehydrated?

seems legit.

They probably wouldnt be dehydrated as sprite is not caffeine but if they logged it as water they would be missing counting the other additives (eg. Sugar) that Sprite contains.

they can still log the calories on their food log, but Sprite is 92% water. somebody drinking 3 gallons of it per day would not need to supplement their intake with an additional 64oz of water.
  • beelanc
    beelanc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    According to this article, you should count FLUID INTAKE so all fluid intake should be counted. I would log the coffee to count the calories but also log it as water intake. :)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

So true.

if water had calories, yes. but it doesn't so what's the point.

all liquids fit for consumption and many foods contribute to hydration requirements. they can be logged as both food (calories) and water.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I only count water that has nothing added to it as water. Such as if I flavor my water or drink a carbonated water I put it in my drink category. When I drink coffee I just use the coffee pouch and water in a coffee maker. I do not add anything to it like sugar or cream. I do not count my coffee as water on here even though in my head I think of it as just dark flavored water.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options

So true.
    I agree completely!!

so if I eat a watermelon I should log the water in that or grapes??
    Come on people water is freaking water!!!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

So true.
    I agree completely!!

Things like watermelon would be part of your daily fluid needs. Sure, it's not pure water and you can't fully measure how much water they contain but they do hydrate your body. Everything you eat and drink hydrates your body... not just pure water.
  • EagleJim471
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I used to be a Weight Watchers regular. They used to only allow water to be counted as water. Now they allow any drink to be counted towards the water, as long as any associated calories are also accounted for. I think the idea of counting only two non-water drinks as water is a pretty good idea. That forces me to still get at least six cups of water a day. I agree that while any liquid is better than none, only water is as good as water.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I log mine seperately. Sometimes I drink it black sometimes with cream. I want my water usage to be straight water. I don't count ice tea as water either.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    How many times are we going to have the same question asked, Water is water pure and simple. Just because one uses water to make coffee, tea, add to juice, soup etc, does not make it water. I have never seen coffee, tea etc comes out of the water faucet.

If one wants to use tea, coffee etc as their water thats between them and the scale which does not lie. I log water as water and my scale does not lie.

My scale doesn't lie either.. As per my dietician and doctor's instruction.. I count all liquid that is comprised of the compound H2O as WATER. It does not matter if it has milk proteins in it and is also called "milk" it still counts as water, (of course, I also count it as milk for the calorie and macronutrient counts) it does not matter if it has had some tea steeped in it, it's water. Coffee also counts as water. OH but wait, "coffee is a diuretic and dehydrates you.... " No it does not. Yes it is true that the actual coffee beans are a mild diuretic HOWEVER the amount of water used to BREW the coffee by far exceeds the very minimal amount of water that it depletes so you're still gaining hydration from coffee!

You can count it however you want but if 99.9% of the ingredients are H2O then yeah, it counts as water for hydration purposes.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So true.
    I agree completely!!

You could do this but now we're getting overly complicated. In order to do this, you'd have to enter all of the micro and macro nutrients in the watermelon. Then you could inter the amount of water contained in it. But that's silly. Coffee has a negligible amount of micros and macros, nearly identical to water (99.5% identical). The same can not be said for watermelon.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    instant and fresh brew filter or expresso all have calories
  • Barmaidsah
    Barmaidsah Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water in MFP, but I do keep track and I do count my coffee as water. I also log it in my food with the milk and SF syrup I use to account for all the calories I consume. The nutritionist at my Dr.s office said all non alcoholic beverages should be counted in your water consumption, but if it has caffeine you should only count 3/4 to make up for the diuretic effect. So if you drink 8 oz of coffee, only count 6 oz as water. And of course log any calories.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Of course.... I count ANY fluid as water as I NEVER just drink plain water...
    I drink a ton of decaf and regular coffee, ice tea, protein shakes, almond milk, crystal light --- its all fluid and counts.

NOTE: If it has calories, I count it in my meals AND then I add it to my water tally.

NOTE 2: I think its ridiculous that people thing it has to be plain water that keeps you hydrated. I haven't died yet and I've lost plenty of weight and I never drink plain water other than brushing my teeth.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do not count my coffee towards my water, but I do count my unsweet tea towards it.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I count a cup of coffee as one water. The ingredients that make coffee "coffee" are so miniscule - face it, it's simply flavored water. Even passes through a fitler and everything...

I even count a soda as water (when I have one) as it too is nearly 100% water.
  • loopylin32
    loopylin32 Posts: 63
    Options
    yeah i count coffee as water! it is water,,,, just heated up n dripped slowly through tasty ground coffee beans .... mmmmmm coffee :)
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I count coffee as coffee, beer as beer and water as water.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Why don't you count the water in your vegetables too?

Stop cheating yourself.