Do you count coffee as water?

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Many foods have moisture.

Anything that isn't water, I don't count as water.
  • CORY1957
    CORY1957 Posts: 1
    Options
    My old Weight Watcher instructor used to say only water is water. But if we all drank 64 oz. of water a day, plus the other stuff we like to drink, we would spend our lives in the bathroom...lol :)
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I log coffee as coffee.
    I log water as water.
    I personally don't see the sense in logging one thing as something else.
    If I started on that slippery slope of logging coffee as water, next thing you know I'm logging wine as water,
    and that just leads to logging the cheese I eat with wine as fish.
    Before long I'm logging hot fudge ice cream cake as celery.
    The logging would go mad.
    Then there would be chaos.
    And I would be completely fat and dehydrated wondering how it's possible when all I had to eat every day for the past 63 days was 15 gallons of water and a bushel of celery.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I count all water as water. That includes coffee, tea, flavored water or plain water.

This is what I do!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As per my close friend who is a registered dietician, I count my tea and coffee as water. Over the period of a day, the diuretic effects of tea and coffee do not disturb your natural fluid balance.

Log it however you'd like, but I'm doing just fine including all fluids in my water count (of course I still make a concerted effort to drink more water during the day).
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Water is water is water is water.

Not coffee. Not juice. Not pop, not tea.

Log non-water as water if you want but don't complain when the scale doesn't do what you want.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If its not straight water, I don't log it.

so for example, if someone were to drink 3 gallons of Sprite every day and nothing else, they would be dehydrated?

seems legit.

They probably wouldnt be dehydrated as sprite is not caffeine but if they logged it as water they would be missing counting the other additives (eg. Sugar) that Sprite contains.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Please stop saying that coffee deydrates. It's a myth that was debunked a while ago but boy does that pesky thinking persist.

From the Mayo Clinic:

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

It. Does. Not. Dehydrate. You.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Anything with caffeine is not water.

I have also heard that if you would not water your houseplants with it, it's not water.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Basically every fluid you consume counts towards your body's fluid requirements for the day. I've been tracking coffee as water for the past year.

Just log calories from sugar/cream/etc as well.

Edited to add: Anyone saying that caffeine is diuretic - the amount of caffeine in coffee vs the amount of water is negligible. The diuretic effect isn't significant unless you're popping caffeine pills. Even then, it's not really significant.
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    no
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    No. H20 is H20. You're supposed to drink eight glasses of water a day; not just any beverage. But that's just me.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I log Water as water.
    That's it.
    Everything else is not considered true water to me...
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    do you log your ketchup as tomatoes?
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No. Coffee is coffee. I only count pure water.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I count my decaf coffee (with Splenda) as water, as well as my lemon water (squeeze a lemon and add to 32oz water bottle) and Crystal Light ... otherwise I wouldn't be getting water because I don't like the taste of plain water. Different people have different opinions ... even the professionals :drinker:
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    do you log your ketchup as tomatoes?

Where's the "like" button? :)
  • rasheedaraji
    rasheedaraji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing you to read the same question "repeatedly" nor is anyone forcing you to answer. There is no need to be rude when the journey to get fit is difficult and confusing for some.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    your body is designed to extract the water from all that we eat or drink, and it certainly can extract it from coffee. if you ate a handful of coffee beans and drank it down with a glass of water, would you count that water as water? running water through the coffee beans doesn't change the fact that coffee (and tea) are 98-99% water. milk is 85-90% water. soda and beer is 90% water. these liquids do count towards your overall hydration, you can count these liquids in your glass tally at the bottom, but you should also log them in your foods because they have calories.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, tea as tea, and coffee as coffee. Seems pretty obvious to me.