Eating back exercised calories VS not: Which worked for you?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The question isn't whether someone else should or shouldn't eat back their exercise calories. The question is should the OP eat them back.
    Completely agree

If you are close to goal and you are only currently eating 1200 calories then definitely eat them back. At least eat back a reasonable amount. If you only have 200 exercise calories then eat back 100, if you have 500 then eat back 300 or 400 and so on, it really depends on how many you have and how accurate your intake and burn levels are both are estimations unless you have a fit bit a food scale and time everything to the minute. I don't see any reason a person should eat fewer than 1500 calories. That is really amazing to me if someone says they can't lose weight on that few.
    Completely disagree
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I never eat back and won't do so until I reach my goal
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have to question what kind of workouts are people doing that don't eat their calories back? There's no way my body could survive on 1200 calories when we do 5 mile hikes. I also wonder if in fact you're losing mostly fat or if there's a lot of muscle being lost their too.

Exactly!

My wife and I did a nice 4.2 mile hike this morning (walk really) and I burned 625 calories on that. Because of this I added 1/4 cup of milk (3.5%), 1/4 cup of bran and 1/4 of bear naked granola (to my 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 1/4 cup of wheat berries with agave necter (3/4th TBS) and cinnamon.

I'm 'eating back' about 300 of the calories I burned when my metabolism is running full steam from the walk.

I don't mind losing some muscle on my way to achieve my goal because I know the muscle is easier to replace then it is to lose fat (I've spent years in gyms over my life) but I prefer to limit that so up my protein (that will be the rest of the days cardio cals I add back) to mitigate that as much as I can while maintain 1000 calories or more, per day, in deficit.