If you're not building muscle in a deficit, you're...

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    newbie gains + water retention + losing body fat = what you are seeing...

How long is one considered a newbie? I've been losing steadily for 5 months. Would newbie gains and water retention still be factors after 5 months?
    Be a factor in what? Have your losses stalled, or are you making strength gains?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Next week: Can you build a brick wall with no bricks?

And logically, I agree with you... That's what makes it the hardest for me but then I watched it happen... It makes my brain crazy...Do I believe everything I know to be true? Or do I believe the tape measure and mirror? It's tough.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Be a factor in what? Have your losses stalled, or are you making strength gains?

I'm making strength gains and have lost 63 lbs. The other person said that my increased calf muscles are just newbie gains/water retention. But, my physical therapist said my calf muscles have indeed increased in both size and strength. So, I'm asking if 5 months in is still considered newbie gains.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Less bricks perhaps - not no bricks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Meh, I've been eating at maintenance for about 9 months. Arms are up from 14 to 15 and some change. Waist is down from 33" to 30". Chest up from 38 to 42. Weight....175. That jumps around from 173-178. Probably dropped 6-7% BF if I was guessing. All in all, not that slow for a recomp in my opinion.

I had some really good results with my maintenance re-comp too. I think when people talk "fast" or "slow" it's really all relative. I took about 1.5 years and dropped about 5-6% BF in that time...it was a good experience for me, but it was long relative to if I would have just continued to diet down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I use that analogy all the time..

I think with recomp though you are slowly lose fat and then adding muscle because you fluctuate between a deficit and surplus? That is just my theory based on the fact that no one is going to have their maintenance number 100% accurate so you must go through periods of deficit and surplus...

just tossing that out there...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Okay then....I've read about body recomp and that is what I am trying to do. Reading this thread, now I'm starting to wonder about a few things. Several people here seem pretty knowlegable and may be able to help. I am at 26% bf looking to get down to 19%. I'm 5'5" and my weight is 122 (I don't care if it goes up or down). The goal is to lose fat, get lean and build muscle. I have had good results from doing Body Beast (Lean Program). However, I never ate at a maintenance level. I was always in a deficit. Your opinions on whether I would gain muscle faster if I stopped the deficit? Would I still lose fat or would I risk gaining fat? Remember, maintenance not surplus. From the looks of some of the posters, you have this down to a science already. I'd love your input.

sij might disagree with me... :)

but I would suggest cutting your body fat down to 19% and then doing a bulk where you look to gain .5 pounds per week.

I would also suggest looking into a structured program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or starting strength.

I would also suggest venturing over to the gaining forum and reading the sticky there on bulking...

• Hornsby
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think with recomp though you are slowly lose fat and then adding muscle because you fluctuate between a deficit and surplus? That is just my theory based on the fact that no one is going to have their maintenance number 100% accurate so you must go through periods of deficit and surplus...

And that's the logic I go with as well. I eat more on the days I lift, eat at a slight deficit on the days I don't lift. I don't know if does anything, but I am getting results. April 9 will be my 2 year anniversary and a crap ton of pics will follow for proof although a few people here follow me on Instagram and get free previews...lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm making strength gains and have lost 63 lbs. The other person said that my increased calf muscles are just newbie gains/water retention. But, my physical therapist said my calf muscles have indeed increased in both size and strength. So, I'm asking if 5 months in is still considered newbie gains.

your calfs have increased some due to newbie gains...I am not sure how long they last but my guess would be if you are 5 months in that you are at the outer limits of those gains and as you continue to eat in a deficit you may lose some of those gains....

I do not have any literature, and nor have I seen a study, that looked at how long newbie gains last....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Are your calves actually measuring larger with a measuring tape, or is your physical therapist just saying that your calf *muscles* have increased in size? If it's the latter, I'm curious how your PT could know that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

your calfs have increased some due to newbie gains...I am not sure how long they last but my guess would be if you are 5 months in that you are at the outer limits of those gains and as you continue to eat in a deficit you may lose some of those gains....

I do not have any literature, and nor have I seen a study, that looked at how long newbie gains last....

This is what I'm thinking as well. And asking around about newbie gains, it seems like no one knows. And you can make strength gains without putting on muscle mass. Regardless, your calves likely look much better than 5 months ago, so keep at it!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I wanted to add that in my case I hadn't strength trained since I was in 10th grade. I am 37 now. So I definitely had some noob gains. My gains haven't really slowed as of yet though so I don't know.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Even if you are nailing your maintenance level perfectly, your body will be at surpluses and deficits at various parts of the day/night because we eat in discrete chunks. So right before a meal you'll be running at a small deficit, right after a meal you'll be running at a slight surplus.
  • Hornsby
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Even if you are nailing your maintenance level perfectly, your body will be at surpluses and deficits at various parts of the day/night because we eat in discrete chunks. So right before a meal you'll be running at a small deficit, right after a meal you'll be running at a slight surplus.

Using that logic, wouldn't a person who eats fewer, higher calorie meals at maintenance averaged levels have a better chance of adding muscle while at maintenance? If they add say 1%, and then cut the next day and lost .5% but .4% of that is fat, they would come out on the positive in mass gains? Just a thought. (Percentages are just numbers, they don't reflect reality and are just there to make the point).

ETA: although after reading it I don't know if I am clear. It's clear to me, but that doesn't mean much.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think I saw Stroutman mention that his experiences with clients suggest newb gains can be capitalised upon for up to a year.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    I think I saw Stroutman mention that his experiences with clients suggest newb gains can be capitalised upon for up to a year.

interesting...
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So much "You will" "you cannot" "it doesn't". the level of bro-science here is astounding sometimes.

None of this is a yes/no answer, it so much depends on where you are starting from, what exactly you are doing, how its actually getting done, what has been done before, what is your genetic capability...

Crazy crazy bro-science.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So much "You will" "you cannot" "it doesn't". the level of bro-science here is astounding sometimes.

None of this is a yes/no answer, it so much depends on where you are starting from, what exactly you are doing, how its actually getting done, what has been done before, what is your genetic capability...

Crazy crazy bro-science.

care to list some examples of what you are viewing as "broscience"....?
  • Hornsby
    Options

Crazy crazy bro-science.

care to list some examples of what you are viewing as "broscience"....?

Figured someone would come in and mess up an interesting conversation. If you have an opinion or some facts for us, please share it. Childish rant not needed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Using that logic, wouldn't a person who eats fewer, higher calorie meals at maintenance averaged levels have a better chance of adding muscle while at maintenance? If they add say 1%, and then cut the next day and lost .5% but .4% of that is fat, they would come out on the positive in mass gains? Just a thought. (Percentages are just numbers, they don't reflect reality and are just there to make the point).

I don't know, but I suspect that's correct. Whether the difference is easily measurable is another question, though.
    ETA: although after reading it I don't know if I am clear. It's clear to me, but that doesn't mean much.

:drinker: