How much protein to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Lol 40% of your diet should be protien... If you customize your MFP goals and select how many calories you want to consume in a day and set the goals to 40% protien, 40% Carbs, 20% fat itll give you the amounts you should be eating per day as a part of your goals.

what?

What? I thought it made sense? These are the goals my personal trainer told me to aim for per day.

My macros are similar - 35% protein, 40% carbs and 25% fat

Thank you lol... I understand not everyone is the same, but those are the goals I have been sticking to and I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks along with gaining muscle. 40% Protien, 40%Carbs, and 20% Fat. I doubt my personal trainer doesnt know what he's talking about. After all he is nothing but muscle.

I think being considered an expert in nutrition requires more than just possessing some muscles.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Lol 40% of your diet should be protien... If you customize your MFP goals and select how many calories you want to consume in a day and set the goals to 40% protien, 40% Carbs, 20% fat itll give you the amounts you should be eating per day as a part of your goals.

what?

What? I thought it made sense? These are the goals my personal trainer told me to aim for per day.

Thank you lol... I understand not everyone is the same, but those are the goals I have been sticking to and I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks along with gaining muscle. 40% Protien, 40%Carbs, and 20% Fat. I doubt my personal trainer doesnt know what he's talking about. After all he is nothing but muscle.

If its working and you feel good then stick with it. Congrats on losing 9lbs by the way :D
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options

what?

It's working for you and that's awesome. I can't see that anyone can have a definitive right answer on this as everyone's starting point and goals are different.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

what?

I think being considered an expert in nutrition requires more than just possessing some muscles.

You mean you can't just get those certifications out of a gumball machine?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My protein is set at 50, carbs 30 and fat 20. I never hit the 50% but the carb number stays low on my diary so I can see how much I may go over in carbs and can tweak my nutrition.

I am trying to carb/calorie cycle so mine is setup funky and it is setup for "custom".

When I first started it was trying to estimate .5 gm of protein per my body weight because I did not know my actual BMI.

This is now 6 months later and my exercise/activity is much different and my nutritional needs are different for my new goals...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what?

40% of your diet should be protein....why?/
  • ndj1979
    Options

what?

based on your posts it sounds like he has infected with you with a bunch of "broscience" I would suggest reading up on nutrition on your own to cure this ailment...

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

what?

But, 40% of my calories from protein would be about 230g of protein a day. Percentages aren't good to go by. Your trainer likely did the calculations and figured out what percentage it should be for you (especially useful since MFP uses percentages). But, everyone should aim for a gram total based off of their weight (lean body mass). Depending on what their calorie goal is, this will be different percentages for different people.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

what?

But, 40% of my calories from protein would be about 230g of protein a day. Percentages aren't good to go by. Your trainer likely did the calculations and figured out what percentage it should be for you (especially useful since MFP uses percentages). But, everyone should aim for a gram total based off of their weight (lean body mass). Depending on what their calorie goal is, this will be different percentages for different people.

pretty much this ..I have mine set to percent but I watch how the grams get filled in ...