Let's clear up a misconception

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Last Saturday, I skipped breakfast, ate a small turkey sandwich with cherry tomatoes for lunch, then went and watched SPONGEBOB at the theaters with my DD and 2 of her friends while chowing down 2 hot dogs, a tray of nachos with cheese, a small pop corn, box of Milk Duds and a diet Coke. For dinner I had a chicken breast with a little Terriyaki sauce on top and a whole bag of spinach.

Good thing I don't go to the movies all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's Spongebob's fault. That movie had me wanting to do anything to avoid watching it.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    tzbrjjE.gif

Unfortunately, the ones who need to hear this the most will not hear it. It's all they have. They'll never give up their last ditch argument in favor of common sense.

I hear it loud and clear. I know what he's saying. Some people like myself who got themselves into a bad rut eating processed foods find themselves liberated by not making the diet part and parcel with them - in moderation.

I made mistakes even on here with the 1st Phorm supplements - but I did the right thing and eliminated them for Natural Force - a complete 100% natural protein supplement. Is it "processed" sure, you can't just take Whey Protein from milk and concoct some supplement without processing, but what constitutes the powder once it's created - that's what counts. If it says "Natural and Artificial" in it, it's bad news. If it says "Enriched Flour", no thanks. If it says "aspartame", "sucralose", or any other artificial sweetener not deemed safe, forget it.

I don't think processed foods are a necessary component of a balanced diet - hence why I can't endorse what he's saying but I can understand from his perspective why he's saying it.

Strong words for a man who eats canned salmon, Chipotle, almond milk and yogurt regularly.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    not to start WWIII but I think peeps are disgusting...sorry

Agreed. I think the only thing grosser are Circus Peanuts.

I hate Circus Peanuts. When I was little, I ate almost an entire bag of them all by myself. I ate so many that I threw them all up.

I have not willingly eaten another Circus Peanut since I was about 5 years old. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But Peeps! Peeps=goodness.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Last Saturday, I skipped breakfast, ate a small turkey sandwich with cherry tomatoes for lunch, then went and watched SPONGEBOB at the theaters with my DD and 2 of her friends while chowing down 2 hot dogs, a tray of nachos with cheese, a small pop corn, box of Milk Duds and a diet Coke. For dinner I had a chicken breast with a little Terriyaki sauce on top and a whole bag of spinach.

Good thing I don't go to the movies all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I an go for a Crabby Patty rite about now

eating-spongebob-squarepants-patrick-K4x1ZL36xWCf6
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If it says "aspartame", "sucralose", or any other artificial sweetener not deemed safe, forget it.

Not deemed safe by whom?

Scientific research that isn't part and parcel with the FDA.

Instead of trying to find the sources - I will let one source provide all the sources you need as all of authority nutrition's information is sourced from the very sources you would want.

Here's three examples:

authoritynutrition.com/artificial-sweeteners-and-weight-gain/

authoritynutrition.com/why-is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

authoritynutrition.com/top-11-biggest-lies-of-the-food-industry/

Here are a couple of alternatives if you are looking to remain healthy and viable for the next 20 years:

authoritynutrition.com/stevia/

authoritynutrition.com/erythritol/

authoritynutrition.com/why-is-stevia-good-for-you/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    -siiiigh- Why did I know this was going to be your answer?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If it says "aspartame", "sucralose", or any other artificial sweetener not deemed safe, forget it.

Not deemed safe by whom?

Instead of trying to find the sources - I will let one source provide all the sources you need as all of authority nutrition's information is sourced from the very sources you would want.

Here's three examples:

Here are a couple of alternatives if you are looking to remain healthy and viable for the next 20 years:

It good to see a nice variety of peer reviewed sources...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    not to start WWIII but I think peeps are disgusting...sorry

Agreed. Effing gross. I'd way prefer something else gross that tastes good, like cafeteria-style, square pizza and freezer food like hot pockets and buffalo wings and curly fries.

LOL - agree ...

now give me some cadberry (sp) Easter eggs, and I will crush those things...

I'm not a huge Peeps fan. I'll eat them occasionally. They're just too sweet for me. I like the Cadbury Caramel Eggs. The regular Eggs are also too sweet for me. So weird. I'm generally a HUGE sweets fan. I guess there always a few exceptions. :'(

Yeah it's not just you. I'd pick sweets over savory pretty much anytime but I couldn't stomach the regular creme eggs either. I still have a hard time with a lot of artificially sweetened stuff because it's too sweet too (like the 'magic pudding' protein powder I bought. At that price, I just want to cry, plus it makes me crave carbs like crazy).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Not deemed safe by whom?

Here's three examples:

Why do you vomit this junk out into every thread you enter?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

This kind of thing goes on in many threads...if they get long enough, you'll see...

Try saying something about your "diet."

And someone will chirp "It's not a diet. Diets fail. Make a lifestyle change!

When acutally - what you eat on a regular basis...is....your...diet.

But you have to make sure you word it properly so someone with an issue with words doesn't come and correct you.

You'll even see someone making fun of my comment about not calling junk food junk food..and calling it "fun" food. In the context of this thread, the idea was it was to be an occasional treat added to a nutritionally sound diet (oops, lifestyle change, ) that meets most if not all of your daily macros...just for FUN. Not for every meal, every day...and then he suggested that we rename diabetes to "diafunbetes" or something like that and added "fun" to other words like cholesterol etc. When if anyone had bothered to read the context of the discussion (the serious one, not the silly sarcasm posts..) they would know what I meant. Unless I misinterpreted the mocking...which I doubt...but hey. I could, I suppose, call it "bullying" too...but....

I really don't like the way the term bullying is thrown around these days. Everything that is not in agreement is "bullying" to some people. Wow...maybe it's time everyone puts their big person panties on and just listens to one another.

I don't think it's bullying, but I do think it's hypocrisy. People go in those threads to troll and argue, or sit back with popcorn and watch the arguing. Why not just admit it, instead of pretending they're doing it for some greater good? Think how much time would be saved if they'd just admit, "I really don't care if you listen to me or not, I'm just here to poke you with a stick to see how long it takes to make you blow up or leave the site?"

Is walking, chip on your shoulder listed in the MFP exercise data base?

So you think you have everyone on "the other side" and their motives all sussed out here. I'm just speechless. You are making so many assumptions that it's making my head spin.

It's great that you low carb and found a way of eating that fits great for you, but seriously, everyone else who low carbs is now under your protection and exempt from any sort of criticism? It really, really comes across that way from your posts.

Thanks for the assumptions and sussing of my motives there. You are always free to ignore and move on. All I've ever asked is why some people, and I never said it's all of them, never choose that option? It's the internet, and unless this is the only website someone has ever used in their life, it's blatantly obvious why it happens, so why not just admit it? Some already have in the confessions thread. Seems to me the high horse is pretending that's not what's going on.

Why do you allow how everyone else responds to thread affect your emotions so much? That's not healthy.

It doesn't, though I think it's interesting that's your immediate assumption. I dislike *kitten*, and 99% of the reasons people give for why they're having those monster argument threads are exactly that. I'm sorry that offends you so much. Actually, I'm not. I really don't care if it does. It is kind of fascinating to me, in one thread you'll see a group of people insisting it's all tough love and they don't care, but the second anyone questions their motives, the butthurt flows.

Why should anyone respect the advice of someone who can't even admit that sometimes their posts are serious, and sometimes their posts are just a poke with a stick?
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bullying, but I do think it's hypocrisy. People go in those threads to troll and argue, or sit back with popcorn and watch the arguing. Why not just admit it, instead of pretending they're doing it for some greater good? Think how much time would be saved if they'd just admit, "I really don't care if you listen to me or not, I'm just here to poke you with a stick to see how long it takes to make you blow up or leave the site?"

+1 I definitely will not be posting help wanted threads on the main forums here!

I hate the feel of this thread that if you don't do it my way, you must have "misconceptions". I'm losing weight, you're losing weight. It's all good. Eat your whole grains, peeps, fruit, no fruit, meat, vegan, whatever works for you!

I may not do it your way but I can respect that you are doing it!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

This kind of thing goes on in many threads...if they get long enough, you'll see...

But you have to make sure you word it properly so someone with an issue with words doesn't come and correct you.

You'll even see someone making fun of my comment about not calling junk food junk food..and calling it "fun" food. In the context of this thread, the idea was it was to be an occasional treat added to a nutritionally sound diet (oops, lifestyle change, ) that meets most if not all of your daily macros...just for FUN. Not for every meal, every day...and then he suggested that we rename diabetes to "diafunbetes" or something like that and added "fun" to other words like cholesterol etc. When if anyone had bothered to read the context of the discussion (the serious one, not the silly sarcasm posts..) they would know what I meant. Unless I misinterpreted the mocking...which I doubt...but hey. I could, I suppose, call it "bullying" too...but....

I really don't like the way the term bullying is thrown around these days. Everything that is not in agreement is "bullying" to some people. Wow...maybe it's time everyone puts their big person panties on and just listens to one another.

So you think you have everyone on "the other side" and their motives all sussed out here. I'm just speechless. You are making so many assumptions that it's making my head spin.

It's great that you low carb and found a way of eating that fits great for you, but seriously, everyone else who low carbs is now under your protection and exempt from any sort of criticism? It really, really comes across that way from your posts.

Thanks for the assumptions and sussing of my motives there. You are always free to ignore and move on. All I've ever asked is why some people, and I never said it's all of them, never choose that option? It's the internet, and unless this is the only website someone has ever used in their life, it's blatantly obvious why it happens, so why not just admit it? Some already have in the confessions thread. Seems to me the high horse is pretending that's not what's going on.

Why do you allow how everyone else responds to thread affect your emotions so much? That's not healthy.

It doesn't, though I think it's interesting that's your immediate assumption. I dislike *kitten*, and 99% of the reasons people give for why they're having those monster argument threads are exactly that. I'm sorry that offends you so much. Actually, I'm not. I really don't care if it does. It is kind of fascinating to me, in one thread you'll see a group of people insisting it's all tough love and they don't care, but the second anyone questions their motives, the butthurt flows.

Why should anyone respect the advice of someone who can't even admit that sometimes their posts are serious, and sometimes their posts are just a poke with a stick?

So you're in here arguing for the greater good of clearing up BS?

I don't understand why you accuse us of arguing not because we are trying to clear up misconceptions about topics that we care about, but because we like to argue.

Yet here you are doing the exact same thing under the same guise of clearing up BS.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Unless that stick has a peep on it and you're poking it into a fire, I think this conversation should go back to that other thread where it belongs.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Not deemed safe by whom?

Here's three examples:

I only read the first link you posted, but did you read something completely different? Because the takeaway from the first article was that artificial sweeteners may be helpful in losing weight and that they're not toxic.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You're right. Yes, you.

There, can we move on now???
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I ate a 220 calorie cookie from Subway and have had to fight off urges to overeat the rest of that day and the next day. Thank goodness I'm back to normal.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    5c980772cda3fc42aa90b41b1b880ee02cfe3714fff8fdef0b988b7dcfd44dd6.jpg

This thread is now closed for violating the following guidelines:

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

I would also like to remind all users that the only appropriate venue for discussing concerns about posts which violate the community guidelines, or problems with other users, is to report the post or contact mod or staff via PM.

You can find contact information for the community team here.
This discussion has been closed.