best core moves. discuss!

Options
I was told that dead lifts and planks are the best core moves, not crunches. Discuss!
Ps darlings, youre lovely.

Replies

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    60 second plank hold equals 100 sit ups
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Depends on your strength. There are exercises more demanding than those on your core, but only worth trying if planks and crunches are easy. Check out leg lifts, jack knives and flags for examples of a range from harder than crunches/planks to just plain tough as can be.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So i need to plank it up. My unit nurse is a body builder, short and always wears blue. I call him arnold smurfinegger. Anyway i talk to him about weightlifting and hes the one who told that. Im good at crunches and suck at planks. So i need to do them :/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

If you can hold a plank for 60 seconds you are doing it wrong. RKC planks are real planks.

Most compound lifts work the core well. The few things I add are mostly for obliques. Hanging leg raises and ab roll outs are great.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I usually incorporate rope crunches to my routine to finish.

abs-exercises-cable-crunches.gif
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dr. Stuart McGill warned some years ago to limit spine-flexing exercises like crunches--they aren't disc-friendly and your spine only has so much "flex" in it. I'm not entirely sure what to think about this, since many laud him then justify crunches anyway, but the modern approach seems more focused on core stabilization in increasingly difficult circumstances--e.g., plank, side plank, planks with less base of support, planks combined with dynamic motions like a lat row, hollow holds, etc. Core stabilization also seems more akin to how we more often use the muscles in life.

• Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    RKC planks are legit. Your whole body begins to shake almost immediately. I've been doing them for a while and still only hold them for 12-15 seconds.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That seems optimistic
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    *Runs off to google RKC planks*
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If you can hold a plank for 60 seconds you are doing it wrong. RKC planks are real planks.

Most compound lifts work the core well. The few things I add are mostly for obliques. Hanging leg raises and ab roll outs are great.

Okay, you got me. I've never heard of an rkc plank so I youtubed it. What am I missing? It looks like a plank plank. What's even so difficult about it? It looks like something I could hold for 3 minutes pretty easily (except for the part where I died from boredom).

Seriously asking.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Okay, you got me. I've never heard of an rkc plank so I youtubed it. What am I missing? It looks like a plank plank. What's even so difficult about it? It looks like something I could hold for 3 minutes pretty easily (except for the part where I died from boredom).

Seriously asking.

A plank is just propping yourself up. RKC plank is engaging everything as you are holding it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKktamzq4o
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Seriously asking.

The posterior pelvic tilt makes a difference. How much I guess depends on the individual, but I think it is more than it appears.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I did a crunch. Dead lift, squat, hanging leg raises once a week.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually incorporate rope crunches to my routine to finish.

abs-exercises-cable-crunches.gif

I like this idea. I was once told that we should treat abs as any other muscle. If we want a muscle to get bigger we use weight and don't do a ton!!!! of reps but just make a reasonable amount really hard and count. That being said, I find that all ab exercises are as good as the effort I put into them. For example, I can do a crunch where I use momentum, fast and not pressing my abs down in the floor and probably can do a ton of them. On the other hand, If I really contract my abs, make each rep intentional, slower and never let myself get in the rest position (you know, on the down motion, using the ground as a quick rest before going up again) they can be darn hard. This is true for me when doing stand up crunches, spiderman pushups, bicycle crunches. On the bicycles, try going slower and really stretching your leg out at a medium height. Play with the height and angles until you feel the most impact on your abs. I know when I'm pushing myself to make them hard as possible and when I'm trying to just pass the time in the class or get them over with.
  • minipony
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Loooove this one. It's fun too! Oh by the way, have you ever tried one of these as an adult!!! Man do they work your abs. Just go at night so nobody sees you. But when you go in a circle, the adult weight makes the animal bend down lower so you really have to use your core to make is rotate in a circle lol. Also you have to keep going in a circle or the weight will make part of your body hit the ground lol. g5r5oj53egf9.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are trying to achieve.

The best core exercise for me are heavy deadlifts and squats.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »

Loooove this one. It's fun too! Oh by the way, have you ever tried one of these as an adult!!! Man do they work your abs. Just go at night so nobody sees you. But when you go in a circle, the adult weight makes the animal bend down lower so you really have to use your core to make is rotate in a circle lol. Also you have to keep going in a circle or the weight will make part of your body hit the ground lol. g5r5oj53egf9.jpg

This one is a little too advanced for me.
  • minipony
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    minipony wrote: »

This one is a little too advanced for me.

lol =) you could work up to it on a smaller one. jk