best core moves. discuss!

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been told that no one should do crunches (especially the way you see most people doing them at the gym) - we spend far too much time in a rounded back position and crunches just reinforce that (i.e. sitting down).

Planks are good and, as suggested, RKC are better.

Planks strengthen your core in a stationery stable position through one plane of movement. The problem is that this doesn't much translate well to a real-world scenario. In life we need to have a strong, stable core with moving limbs and rotation.

Particular core exercises that I like for this include:

- Roll outs (ab-wheel/fit ball)
    - High and low wood chops (cable/dumbell)
    - Pallof presses
    - Half kneeling cable anti rotation press
    - Washing machines
    - Land mines
    - Dead bugs
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I forgot one - suitcase carries. So good for stabilisation through your obliques (amongst other things)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    60 second plank hold equals 100 sit ups

If you can hold a plank for 60 seconds you are doing it wrong. RKC planks are real planks.

Most compound lifts work the core well. The few things I add are mostly for obliques. Hanging leg raises and ab roll outs are great.

Okay, you got me. I've never heard of an rkc plank so I youtubed it. What am I missing? It looks like a plank plank. What's even so difficult about it? It looks like something I could hold for 3 minutes pretty easily (except for the part where I died from boredom).

Seriously asking.

A plank is just propping yourself up. RKC plank is engaging everything as you are holding it.

<snip>

so it's a plank done correctly?
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I've been told that no one should do crunches (especially the way you see most people doing them at the gym) - we spend far too much time in a rounded back position and crunches just reinforce that (i.e. sitting down).

Planks are good and, as suggested, RKC are better.

Planks strengthen your core in a stationery stable position through one plane of movement. The problem is that this doesn't much translate well to a real-world scenario. In life we need to have a strong, stable core with moving limbs and rotation.

Particular core exercises that I like for this include:

- Roll outs (ab-wheel/fit ball)
    - High and low wood chops (cable/dumbell)
    - Pallof presses
    - Half kneeling cable anti rotation press
    - Washing machines
    - Land mines
    - Dead bugs

I forgot about rollouts. And whats a landmine
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't typically do specific ab exercises either, primarily stick with compound lifts.

But, I also have a particularly brutal yoga instructor who makes us hold dolphin plank (aka RKC plank) for 60 seconds at a time. That combined with all of the balancing poses (dancer, eagle, tree) means I usually wake up the next day with sore abs. She's also a fan of bicycles, usually in sets of 60. No idea why, since they aren't, you know, yoga poses, but there you have it.
  • sweetbamaTLC
    sweetbamaTLC Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Yay! I just recently worked up to 3 sets of 60 second planks!
  • deoliveiraf
    deoliveiraf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In addition to planks, I also do (and forgive me if I don't use the proper exercise name) captains chair side-leg raises to exhaustion, followed immediately by captains chair side-knee raises to exhaustion without getting off the chair. I do this for either 2 or 3 sets (either right after working out, or throughout my day at work).
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I used to subscribe to the school of thought that squats and deadlifts were enough. However, every time I throw ab work in consistently, my squats and deadlifts get better.

My go to are:
    straight leg raises (toes to ceiling/bar if possible)
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries
    front squat static hold (one of my favourites but I don't do it as much. Overload the bar, unrack and just stand straight)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you are conscientiousness about engaging your core, there are a number of good movements/lifts. But if you aren't, then most of them won't help you in that regard (but may be good for other reasons). That's a big detail that a lot of people miss - you can do squats and deads and whatever else with relatively minimal core activation.

Personally, I love pivot presses for core work, but again, you have to intentionally engage your core to get the most out it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Would probably agree here since most people who do sit ups use their hip flexors more than their core.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If you can hold a plank for 60 seconds you are doing it wrong. RKC planks are real planks.

Most compound lifts work the core well. The few things I add are mostly for obliques. Hanging leg raises and ab roll outs are great.

Okay, you got me. I've never heard of an rkc plank so I youtubed it. What am I missing? It looks like a plank plank. What's even so difficult about it? It looks like something I could hold for 3 minutes pretty easily (except for the part where I died from boredom).

Seriously asking.

A plank is just propping yourself up. RKC plank is engaging everything as you are holding it.

<snip>

so it's a plank done correctly?

...yes...which is why I said an RKC plank is a real plank. It's a correct plank. Not what everyone thinks is a plank.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I used to subscribe to the school of thought that squats and deadlifts were enough. However, every time I throw ab work in consistently, my squats and deadlifts get better.

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries
    front squat static hold (one of my favourites but I don't do it as much. Overload the bar, unrack and just stand straight)

it's strange, isn't it? that if a person is trying to improve in a big lift that involves a lot of core assitance, that doing specific core work will actually improve performance in those big lifts. just like doing arm work improved my pressing and rowing numbers. but MFP is SQUATZ N DEDZ all day, all the time. anything else be broscience.

just like you, i find that my performance improves with regular core works my....everything. and since "core" includes a variety of functionality, just settling on ONE BEST EXERCISE for it is pure folly. i've got a wide variety of things i add in to my workouts to hit various aspects.

i like the sound of that front static squat. it should be similar to my single arm OH farmers walk, but with a crapton of more weight. i might try that one this afternoon.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries

it's strange, isn't it? that if a person is trying to improve in a big lift that involves a lot of core assitance, that doing specific core work will actually improve performance in those big lifts. just like doing arm work improved my pressing and rowing numbers. but MFP is SQUATZ N DEDZ all day, all the time. anything else be broscience.

just like you, i find that my performance improves with regular core works my....everything. and since "core" includes a variety of functionality, just settling on ONE BEST EXERCISE for it is pure folly. i've got a wide variety of things i add in to my workouts to hit various aspects.

i like the sound of that front static squat. it should be similar to my single arm OH farmers walk, but with a crapton of more weight. i might try that one this afternoon.

Wait...who said only do deads and squats and everything else is bro?

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote:
    core work will actually improve performance in those big lifts. just like doing arm work improved my pressing and rowing numbers. but MFP is SQUATZ N DEDZ all day,
    Sarauk2sf wrote:

He's probably referring to what seems a consensus in strength training that most at the gym--especially those in their first months of training--should focus on compound movements rather than isolation movements (e.g., big pulls rather than bicep curls). The below article discusses the pros/cons in detail. I haven't seen any hate for core work at any level, though! :)

https://www.t-nation.com/training/direct-arm-training-pros-and-cons
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts.

Not even close, the Core activation is there but it's low; additional Core training is important.

There is no best Core exercise but some good ones are the RKC Plank mentioned above. Other types of front planks and side planks with the use of hip extension to further work your hip flexors and glutes are good. Palloff Press and Cable Rotations can be good. Back Raises on a 45-degree bench are great for the quadratus lumborum and glutes.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries

Amen to that! There is a lot of easily attainable research out that discusses the benefits of Core training to strength improvement in other exercises, improvement in basic movement function, and injury prevention. But just do squats and deadlifts...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries

Amen to that! There is a lot of easily attainable research out that discusses the benefits of Core training to strength improvement in other exercises, improvement in basic movement function, and injury prevention. But just do squats and deadlifts...

Again...who said that???

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts.

Not even close, the Core activation is there but it's low; additional Core training is important.

There is no best Core exercise but some good ones are the RKC Plank mentioned above. Other types of front planks and side planks with the use of hip extension to further work your hip flexors and glutes are good. Palloff Press and Cable Rotations can be good. Back Raises on a 45-degree bench are great for the quadratus lumborum and glutes.

Core activation is low with deadlifts?

BTW, he posted as kind of a joke.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries

I might have to try that too. That sounds like fun. Until I pass out and someone makes a GTA-style WASTED video montage of me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

My go to are:
    bar roll outs
    fall outs
    dumb bell side bends
    suit case carries

That was me.