Running but not losing weight...

Options
124»

Replies

• dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm training for my first half marathon (run 4 days per week), do weight training 3 days per week, yoga 2 times per week, and am tracking my diet in MFP. I also have Celiac so am first to each gluten free.

I lost 14 pounds in 2 months and now it has plateaued. Last time I worked out/ate like this I kept losing weight until I was 154 lbs (I'm 6' tall). Currently I'm 194 and stuck... So frustrating! Those 40 pounds are LITERALLY a weight on my shoulders and I'm ready to unload them.

Sorry to hear that! Let me know how your training goes!

My training is going well! I've cut my average pace by 00:44 secs/mile, am up to running 10 miles during my long weekend run, and just finished my first 15K last weekend. I'm really proud of my running improvements but if this weight would just start falling off that would be an added bonus.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Update:

Hello everyone and a massive thank you for all commenting, I didn't realise I would get so many replies.

So since Friday I have done no exercise - not even walking. On Saturday, I ate takeout and a Sunday roast on Sunday. I didn't log but Monday I did.

I have lost 1 pound. In the past, when I did MFP I never ran or exercised (yes shame on me I know) and I lost weight just fine.

So this gets me thinking, was I in a starvation mode? I was crazy for food on Friday and Saturday and after eating more than normal and back to MPF on Monday I lose 1lbs.

I love running but I do not want to be this crazy about food and about not losing weight!

My current plan is to take two / three weeks of running and just walk each day for 50 minutes - fast pace.

What do you think? Good plan or not? I have bought T25 30 max which I intend to do when I have lost the 10lbs.

Cheers :)

No you weren't in starvation "mode". You probably were retaining water.

I would suggest continue with the running if you like it and focus on dialing in the diet - if you're guessing yourself reasonably at 36% body fat- you shouldn't have to much trouble losing at a reasonable pace for another 10% of that- into the low twenties.

if you're struggling with some of the numbers- considering switching to TDEE method- and that way you don't ever worry about eating back your calories.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IPullSumo wrote: »
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

Do not listen to this poster. What they suggested is an absolute recipe for injury and you do not want to get injured at any cost. This is about weight loss not about "How can I get injured fast and easy"

OP,
    1) 1.5 pounds per week is way too aggressive goal. Lower it to 0.5 pounds per week.
    2) Look at your logging and tighten it up as much as you can.
    3) Drink water
    4) Continue with Running/Walking whatever cardio that makes you happy.
    5) But don't forget to lift weights.
    6) Drink more water.
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm training for my first half marathon (run 4 days per week), do weight training 3 days per week, yoga 2 times per week, and am tracking my diet in MFP. I also have Celiac so am first to each gluten free.

I lost 14 pounds in 2 months and now it has plateaued. Last time I worked out/ate like this I kept losing weight until I was 154 lbs (I'm 6' tall). Currently I'm 194 and stuck... So frustrating! Those 40 pounds are LITERALLY a weight on my shoulders and I'm ready to unload them.

Sorry to hear that! Let me know how your training goes!

My training is going well! I've cut my average pace by 00:44 secs/mile, am up to running 10 miles during my long weekend run, and just finished my first 15K last weekend. I'm really proud of my running improvements but if this weight would just start falling off that would be an added bonus.

Hey!

Well done on the cut and well done for the first 15K - keep going and best of luck with your running. I can not wait to get back into it!
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

No you weren't in starvation "mode". You probably were retaining water.

I would suggest continue with the running if you like it and focus on dialing in the diet - if you're guessing yourself reasonably at 36% body fat- you shouldn't have to much trouble losing at a reasonable pace for another 10% of that- into the low twenties.

if you're struggling with some of the numbers- considering switching to TDEE method- and that way you don't ever worry about eating back your calories.

Hey,

Thank you for your comments.

That could be a possibility as I drink so much water and tea. I will start running in another two weeks. At the moment I am testing out something!

• benjaminD02
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    IPullSumo wrote: »
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

Do not listen to this poster. What they suggested is an absolute recipe for injury and you do not want to get injured at any cost. This is about weight loss not about "How can I get injured fast and easy"

OP,
    1) 1.5 pounds per week is way too aggressive goal. Lower it to 0.5 pounds per week.
    2) Look at your logging and tighten it up as much as you can.
    3) Drink water
    4) Continue with Running/Walking whatever cardio that makes you happy.
    5) But don't forget to lift weights.
    6) Drink more water.

Howdy!

Thank you for your comments too. Yes I didn't take onboard these comments as I am already working / running hard as it is. Thank you again for your suggestions!

• benjaminD02
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks again to all who have posted, it is lovely to be a in supportive community.

So to update this thread:

I have done not exercise since Friday, not even been out for a walk. Bad I know but I am trying something here.

I have lost another pound and now I am down to 203lbs. All I have done is use MFP and not been over.

I am only going to keep the non-exercise up for another two weeks and see what happens and then I need to get my body moving again!

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks again to all who have posted, it is lovely to be a in supportive community.

So to update this thread:

I have done not exercise since Friday, not even been out for a walk. Bad I know but I am trying something here.

I have lost another pound and now I am down to 203lbs. All I have done is use MFP and not been over.

I am only going to keep the non-exercise up for another two weeks and see what happens and then I need to get my body moving again!

huh?? stop weighing yourself all the time and just run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    huh?? stop weighing yourself all the time and just run.

This...

Increase the effort, the current level is pretty leisurely