when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Ok, back from the gym. Got HOOOGE last night. Anyway....

Lets just put an end to this. First I'll define what I consider cardio, and what I consider resistance training.

Cardio - steady pace, submaximal exertion, below anaerobic threshold, using primarily aerobic pathways (eg. biking, running, prancercise)

Resistance Training - Any movement using resistance (eg. BB, DB, KB, bodyweight, etc.), using primarily alactic/CP and glycolysis pathways. This would even include sprinting and plyometrics.

Ok, to put an end to this debate. No one has yet to offer one benefit that is cardio exclusive, other than of course, being a better runner, biker, etc. Like I said, running/biking is a learned skill, to become better, you must do those skills. However, the physiological adaptations that occur from cardio can also be accomplished using resistance training. On the other hand, resistance training offers many benefits that cannot be gained through solely doing cardio.

Being a personal trainer and a strength and condition coach, my job is to get the greatest adaption in the shortest amount of time. Because there is no health benefits to cardio, and it has a low "bang for its buck", I do zero for myself, my clients, and my athletes (I don't train distance runners or swimmers).

If anyone want a more detailed response they can PM me.

Wow, clever way to end a debate. Just genius.

A)redefine the terms to make your view correct
    B)top off with fallacious appeal to authority

And by clever, I mean not clever. And by genius, I mean not clever.

Too bad for your athletes as well. Do you seriously discourage them from skipping rope? Even if you were misinformed enough to believe that doesn't have benefits for just about any athlete, how could you ignore the positive effect of speed rope on the actual strength workouts? Baffling.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't lift. I do bodyweight exercise and I run. In fact looking to break 100 miles for the first time this month. If people think that running makes me a wussy well then they can come kiss my *kitten*. Just saying :)
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    I don't lift. I do bodyweight exercise and I run. In fact looking to break 100 miles for the first time this month. If people think that running makes me a wussy well then they can come kiss my *kitten*. Just saying :)

Anybody who cares about their body is not a wuss!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes you lift to be strong.
    I take your word for it that you don't need cardio exercise to lift weights - having never done it, i don't know.
    All i know is that to do what i do i need to train at a working heart rate :smile:

Ditto. I had a sub 20 min 5K time, Sub 40 min 10K, Sub 1:45 1/2.

Had?
    Ewwww i hate running *shudder* My run times are pretty poor, but my swim/bike times are good!

Ya, had, with kids I don't dedicate myself to winning races anymore. I workout to stay in shape, but I need to have energy to play hockey, football, etc...with my 4 yr old at night.
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Yes you lift to be strong.
    I take your word for it that you don't need cardio exercise to lift weights - having never done it, i don't know.
    All i know is that to do what i do i need to train at a working heart rate :smile:

Ditto. I had a sub 20 min 5K time, Sub 40 min 10K, Sub 1:45 1/2.

Had?
    Ewwww i hate running *shudder* My run times are pretty poor, but my swim/bike times are good!

Ya, had, with kids I don't dedicate myself to winning races anymore. I workout to stay in shape, but I need to have energy to play hockey, football, etc...with my 4 yr old at night.

awwww yeah, young kids are tiring. Mine are pre-teens and want little to do with me now :cry:
    They've been bought up in an active household and both are talented swimmers, so i'm happy :bigsmile:
    They come to all our races/events and often help marshall.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Lets just put an end to this. First I'll define what I consider cardio, and what I consider resistance training.

Cardio - steady pace, submaximal exertion, below anaerobic threshold, using primarily aerobic pathways (eg. biking, running, prancercise)

Resistance Training - Any movement using resistance (eg. BB, DB, KB, bodyweight, etc.), using primarily alactic/CP and glycolysis pathways. This would even include sprinting and plyometrics.

Ok, to put an end to this debate. No one has yet to offer one benefit that is cardio exclusive, other than of course, being a better runner, biker, etc. Like I said, running/biking is a learned skill, to become better, you must do those skills. However, the physiological adaptations that occur from cardio can also be accomplished using resistance training. On the other hand, resistance training offers many benefits that cannot be gained through solely doing cardio.

Being a personal trainer and a strength and condition coach, my job is to get the greatest adaption in the shortest amount of time. Because there is no health benefits to cardio, and it has a low "bang for its buck", I do zero for myself, my clients, and my athletes (I don't train distance runners or swimmers).

Yeah, that's what I thought.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    The funniest part is insisting that benefits can only be defined as derived from an activity if they come exclusively from that activity.

Day 1 I do a lower body strength workout
    Day 2 I do some cardio for recovery
    Day 3 I do an upper body strength workout
    Day 4 I do some more cardio for active recovery
    Day 5 I do a lower body workout
    Day 6 I do an upper body workout
    Day 7 I rest or do a bit of cardio for active recovery again (very light)

On most days, I have a mild cardio warmup (10 mins). If I have a performance or an audition I have to cancel resistance training the day before maybe two days before, and I use the cardio to work off steam and stay loose (usually rope skipping). Because the speed rope teaches me to associate being loose with meeting a challenge, I am better at my job (I drag less, and respond better to pressure).

Without the cardio, I am getting less benefit. By adding more strength workouts, I lose out on recovery, or wind up splitting it up too much and not hitting the same groups often enough (unless I juice).

So how is cardio not giving me benefits I would not be otherwise enjoying? What relevance does exclusivity have? My conditioning is better than it would be without the cardio, and as far as I can tell, my strength schedule is optimal (more resistance volume would not be helpful). AND as pointed out previously, my VO2 max is better than it would be without the cardio.

This is just a better program because of the cardio. It's better than just cardio because of the focus on resistance, and it's better than just resistance because of the cardio. Win-win.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The funniest part is insisting that benefits can only be defined as derived from an activity if they come exclusively from that activity.

On most days, I have a mild cardio warmup (10 mins). If I have a performance or an audition I have to cancel resistance training the day before maybe two days before, and I use the cardio to work off steam and stay loose (usually rope skipping). Because the speed rope teaches me to associate being loose with meeting a challenge, I am better at my job (I drag less, and respond better to pressure).

Without the cardio, I am getting less benefit. By adding more strength workouts, I lose out on recovery, or wind up splitting it up too much and not hitting the same groups often enough (unless I juice).

So how is cardio not giving me benefits I would not be otherwise enjoying? What relevance does exclusivity have? My conditioning is better than it would be without the cardio, and as far as I can tell, my strength schedule is optimal (more resistance volume would not be helpful). AND as pointed out previously, my VO2 max is better than it would be without the cardio.

This is just a better program because of the cardio. It's better than just cardio because of the focus on resistance, and it's better than just resistance because of the cardio. Win-win.

I'm still waiting for the light bulb to go off for you that it's the cardio that's hampering your recovery from the strength training. Post after post you're talking about recovery being an issue, but don't yet realize where the guilt lies
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

BUT IT"S GOOD FOR YOUR HAWT!!!!!!
  • pcastagner
    Options

I'm still waiting for the light bulb to go off for you that it's the cardio that's hampering your recovery from the strength training. Post after post you're talking about recovery being an issue, but don't yet realize where the guilt lies

My recovery is fine and I haven't complained about it. Nice try with the straw man. I hit each workout with plenty of steam. Do you seriously think 20-25 minutes of speed rope is enough to mess with my recovery? I could understand how it would hamper me if I went out and ran for two hours, but you have no basis for even making that statement without asking me how much cardio I do.

Did you just misunderstand or was I not clear? It majorly helps my recovery between sets, allowing me to hit the next set with shorter rest. I'm not exactly alone on this, and I doubt you can find me a single study showing cardio at the rate I do it could possibly hamper recovery. There is plenty of evidence, on the other hand, showing benefits even from the low volume of cardio I perform.

Too much would be bad, not enough is bad, the right amount is good. I really don't understand this black and white purity approach. And I figuratively die a bit inside when I read comments from a professional trainer passing on this ridiculous view to clients and athletes (god I hope they aren't kids).
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

BUT IT"S GOOD FOR YOUR HAWT!!!!!!

:)

I don't believe in training the heart, so I told my breath when I lift.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

My recovery is fine and I haven't complained about it. Nice try with the straw man. I hit each workout with plenty of steam. Do you seriously think 20-25 minutes of speed rope is enough to mess with my recovery? I could understand how it would hamper me if I went out and ran for two hours, but you have no basis for even making that statement without asking me how much cardio I do.

Did you just misunderstand or was I not clear? It majorly helps my recovery between sets, allowing me to hit the next set with shorter rest. I'm not exactly alone on this, and I doubt you can find me a single study showing cardio at the rate I do it could possibly hamper recovery. There is plenty of evidence, on the other hand, showing benefits even from the low volume of cardio I perform.

Too much would be bad, not enough is bad, the right amount is good. I really don't understand this black and white purity approach. And I figuratively die a bit inside when I read comments from a professional trainer passing on this ridiculous view to clients and athletes (god I hope they aren't kids).

They ALL are kids!!! MUHAHAHAA...

In the words of Mike Boyle, "If you want your kid to stink at sports...X-country"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7roMQVqUFM
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Doing both is the ideal... that's what I do... split time between them. However, like other posters have pointed out... many people on here (mostly females) think all they need to do to have that great body is cardio... wrong. I have a girlfriend that keeps saying "gosh I need to lose more weight... look at these flabby arms" I think she weighs maybe 110lbs. WRONG. I keep telling her its not WEIGHT she needs to LOSE... its MUSCLE she needs to GAIN.... and how do you do that? Cardio, dieting? No. Lift.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole thread, but I'll give you my two cents anyway!

When it comes to working out, do what you ENJOY and what you can MAINTAIN in the future. I'm never going to be a body builder. I'm also never going to be able to run a 25 minute 5K. But I am working on improving myself in both areas, because I enjoy both types of exercise.

Weight training is great for increasing your lean body mass and building muscle. Cardio is great for heart health and for burning fat. There is nothing wrong with either type of workout, as both have benefits. Both also have potential for injury if you push too hard, too fast!

Do what you enjoy! Just be ACTIVE. That's the key!
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ::Disclaimer, didn't read all the pages::

I thought the debate is about slow steady state cardio. If so, then it has less "bang for the buck". Strength training is superior in this manner.

Isn't jumping rope a plyometric exercise which wouldn't be slow steady state cardio?

I do both cardio and lift heavy but a lot more emphasis on lifting heavy. Do what works for you...which is both (more lifting though)
  • pcastagner
    Options
    ::Disclaimer, didn't read all the pages::

I thought the debate is about slow steady state cardio. If so, then it has less "bang for the buck". Strength training is superior in this manner.

Isn't jumping rope a plyometric exercise which wouldn't be slow steady state cardio?

I do both cardio and lift heavy but a lot more emphasis on lifting heavy. Do what works for you...which is both (more lifting though)

Like I said, I do my research. There's a reason I gave up long, steady state cardio sessions in favor of HIIT in the pool, then moved on to speed rope.

And no, we weren't only talking about steady state cardio. Mr trainer guy just tried to narrow the definitions so he could be right about something. Speed rope is definitely cardio, and the major limiting factor once you grow some calves is your technique, followed by your conditioning. I don't consider myself elite on either front.

I actually also enjoy long bike rides, but that's because they are the best way to find mushrooms. I consider that recreation, not work (my fitness goals are profession oriented).

I think the best points in this thread are the ones about doing what you enjoy. I really hope we can all agree that the whole point of any of this exercise business is, in the end, enjoying life to the fullest.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love doing both. I mainly just do cardio, which I believe is a great workout as long as you change it up so you don't get bored. I do lift weights but I'd like to do it more.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well cardio works better for some, and lifting works better for others. I do tend to see people on cardio machines as hamsters, but I always thought that was a good thing. I rather like hamsters.

Lifting gives me strength and a firmer, more shapely body. Where as cardio gives me sore boobs, a sore throat, and no visible results. I reach a cardio level heart rate when I do my strength training anyway. So what would be the point of me doing cardio.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I need added reasons to gouge my eyeballs out.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Surely this all comes down to what exercise you enjoy doing and can continue doing for a lifetime?

My main exercise is walking (as in outside, in the fresh air), because I love to see the wildlife, the countryside and the changing of seasons. I don't give a shyte if it's not 'optimal', it's what I enjoy and because I enjoy it I know I'll always doing it. I am (now) also lifting weights...but I absolutely HATE it. It's tedious in the extreme and it doesn't get me out and about. I know I'll do the minimum in the way of weights because a) it's boring and b) even when I hit my goal weight I don't actually want that toned gym bunny look - I'd rather have a burlesque slightly more rounded look.

My partner, who does triathlons, certainly doesn't have the washboard abs and bulging muscles...but he's as fit as a butcher's dog doing what he enjoys.

So IMO this exercise one-upmanship is completely ridiculous.