when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    You people are arguing which type of exercise YOU do, and which YOU think is best. To answer the OP questions, the reason people "boycott" cardio is because there is ZERO benefit that is exclusive to cardio. Any benefit that cardio offers, resistance training offers, and more.

Runners are going to run, and lifters are going to lift. For the people that want to look/feel good, in the shortest amount of time, there is no reason to do cardio.

The only problem with that little theory is that I like to run races, I train for the races as well as to stay fit and also burn the calories - all in that order.

Lifting weights and doing no cardio wouldn't do me any good, because when it came to me wanting to run my 10k race later on in the year, I wouldn't do very well now, would I.

Absolutely agree!
    This is why i was keen to know how weights would help Triathlon/Cycling/Swimming, but i got my answer and it looks good!
    I couldn't JUST do weights clearly, but weights could help my swim.

It depends what YOU want from YOUR sport!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You people are arguing which type of exercise YOU do, and which YOU think is best. To answer the OP questions, the reason people "boycott" cardio is because there is ZERO benefit that is exclusive to cardio. Any benefit that cardio offers, resistance training offers, and more.

Runners are going to run, and lifters are going to lift. For the people that want to look/feel good, in the shortest amount of time, there is no reason to do cardio.

The only problem with that little theory is that I like to run races, I train for the races as well as to stay fit and also burn the calories - all in that order.

Lifting weights and doing no cardio wouldn't do me any good, because when it came to me wanting to run my 10k race later on in the year, I wouldn't do very well now, would I.

Absolutely agree!
    This is why i was keen to know how weights would help Triathlon/Cycling/Swimming, but i got my answer and it looks good!

Good God, I have no problem whatsoever with what you are saying there TriFinders, seriously, that is the sensible way to go! :flowerforyou:

No, what I got irritated by, was that poster saying there is no need to do cardio.

Now TriFinders, imagine if you went into one of your Triathlons, having had no cardio training, at all (as per that posters recommendations), but only weights alone - out of interest, in your opinion, how do you think you would do? :laugh:

I know how I would do if I did just that and had a 10k race to run....... it would not be a desirable outcome either competitively or on a physical wellbeing level.

Not even gonna consider that poster's little theory on a marathon runner :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Azdak has it right..... I'm not going to quote his post, 'cause it's a monster.....

In response to whoever said that powerlifters don't do cardio. Powerlifters do conditioning. Prowler work, complexes, loaded carries, stuff like that. It might not be the elliptical, but it is cardio-vascular work.

People have a very narrow definition of what cardio is. That's been shown time and again in this thread.

This whole thread is basically dividing things up into two camps and then people saying things along the lines of: 'I live in Camp A, Camp B must therefore suck' and 'What are you saying about Camp B? Why don't you just stay in Camp A and never get any results! See if I care!'

It's especially interesting when you consider what a numb-nuts the OP is. He must be rubbing his hands with glee over this one......
  • TriFinders
    Options

Absolutely agree!

Good God, I have no problem whatsoever with what you are saying there TriFinders, seriously, that is the sensible way to go! :flowerforyou:

No, what I got irritated by, was that poster saying there is no need to do cardio.

Now TriFinders, imagine if you went into one of your Triathlons, having had no cardio training, at all (as per that posters recommendations), but only weights alone - out of interest, in your opinion, how do you think you would do? :laugh:

I know how I would do if I did just that and had a 10k race to run....... it would not be a desirable outcome either competitively or on a physical wellbeing level.

Not even gonna consider that poster's little theory on a marathon runner :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Clearly i would die DEAD in the swim :wink:
    Open water swimming is pretty tough going and at a competitive level it's exhilarating beyond believe, not to mention cycling then the run afterwards.
    Hubby is an Ironman Triathlete and never lifted a weight in his life. You ought to see his muscles - perfect :tongue:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Azdak has it right..... I'm not going to quote his post, 'cause it's a monster.....

In response to whoever said that powerlifters don't do cardio. Powerlifters do conditioning. Prowler work, complexes, loaded carries, stuff like that. It might not be the elliptical, but it is cardio-vascular work.

People have a very narrow definition of what cardio is. That's been shown time and again in this thread.

This whole thread is basically dividing things up into two camps and then people saying things along the lines of: 'I live in Camp A, Camp B must therefore suck' and 'What are you saying about Camp B? Why don't you just stay in Camp A and never get any results! See if I care!'

It's especially interesting when you consider what a numb-nuts the OP is. He must be rubbing his hands with glee over this one......

Just wanted to echo your praise for azdaks post. It was pretty damn thorough and awesome.
  • TriFinders
    Options

Just wanted to echo your praise for azdaks post. It was pretty damn thorough and awesome.

Does lifting weights raise the heart rate to the working zone and keep it there long enough to be considered 'cardio'?
    I am asking this question seriously, NOT being sarcastic.
    Thanks
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It's a completely artificial construction. The answer is "sometimes", and the argument is absurd.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Does lifting weights raise the heart rate to the working zone and keep it there long enough to be considered 'cardio'?
    I am asking this question seriously, NOT being sarcastic.
    Thanks

Not really. Read Azdak's post. Elevated HR is due to different underlying physiological processes.

However, lighter weights (ie a lesser proportion of your 1RM) done in a complex will have a cardio-vascular effect. Note, this is not bro curls or anything like that but a series of compound movements back-to-back without releasing the bar.
  • TriFinders
    Options
    [/quote]

Not really. Read Azdak's post. Elevated HR is due to different underlying physiological processes.

However, lighter weights (ie a lesser proportion of your 1RM) done in a complex will have a cardio-vascular effect. Note, this is not bro curls or anything like that but a series of compound movements back-to-back without releasing the bar.
    [/quote]

So you mean like using light weights in a circuits session?

sorry it didn't quote right
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% FOR cardio. If it wasn't for cardio I'd still be fat. I lost ALL my weight doing nothing but cardio & I have great fitness because of it. Even the PT I saw once was impressed. It took me 7 months to lose all my weight, become so damn fit I can do it all on 4 hours sleep & still be great every single day.

^^THIS

If it wasn't for my aerobics DVDs (ridiculed because they're not "lifting heavy") I wouldn't have achieved anyhitng like the weight loss I have so far, and i would certainly have given up through lack or progress! Many of the routines incorporate ab curls, crunches, the odd plank etc, or other resistance moves rather than just getting out of breath (which I imagine is what people are thinking of as cardio!) and I can see a definite difference in muscle on my legs and arms, and since I started Zumba the weight loss speeded up and I've become generally fitter.

I don't really care if people prefer weight-based training to what I've chosen - everyone is free to make their own choice. Just let everyone choose what suits them and don't keep weighing in (pardon the pun!) with "that will never work unless you lift heavy...." UNLESS someone has specifically asked for advice on their training/fitness regime. Don't try and make me lift weights and I won't make you wear Zumba bells!

And lets consign "skinny fat" to the dustbin.
  • __Di__
    Options

Absolutely agree!

Open water swimming is pretty tough going and at a competitive level it's exhilarating beyond believe, not to mention cycling then the run afterwards.
    Hubby is an Ironman Triathlete and never lifted a weight in his life. You ought to see his muscles - perfect :tongue:

Actually, I was saying to my husband the other day, that to me, triathletes - both male and female - have the best physiques in my opinion, truly.

I love running, can cycle ok, am a really strong swimmer and would love to have done a triathlon - even a mini one lol, however, here;s the catch - I am useless at front crawl and do breast-stroke all the time and I don't think that will get me very far on the swim side of things even if I can swim a bloody long way doing that - can you picture everybody else bolting off and me humming away whilst I swim frog-like, I don't think it would cut it somehow :laugh:
  • jimmmer
    Options

Lighter weights in a circuit type setting could be considered conditioning/cardio-vascular. TBH it's what's considered light for you, not light in general. You are using a weight which is no where near your 1RM.

Anyway, complexes are really just a circuit-type exercise - you just don't move from the spot you're on if you're using a barbell. For instance, one I do (which I pinched from Dan John) is:

Bent over Row

Power Clean

Front squat

Military press

Back squat

Good mornings

You do 5 or 8 reps with each exercise and move straight to the next one in the list without putting the bar down and do 8 of them, etc, etc. When you get to the final exercise - you've done a set. It's cardio-vascular, I can attest. Depending on how strong you are, you can just use a raw bar and do a few sets. If you're stronger you can do the raw bar as a warm-up and add a bit of weight with each set. Obviously if you find squatting with a raw oly bar challenging, then it's not really the complex for you. There are others that use dumbbells or kettlebells or even bodyweight.

I guess the message is don't be so narrow with your definitions. I prefer conditioning to cardio as a term. It comes with less baggage and is more all-encompassing. I like to have a mixture of strength, speedwork, conditioning, flexibilty and mobility. It's really not A or B it's how to meld A, B, C, D and E into a cohesive whole that supports your goals. For some people they might need more focus on A and less on C, or more on D and less on A. But they will need some of everything no matter what their sport or activity is, just the proportions need to be tweaked to be optimal for that activity.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    #cardiobunnythuglife
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Just got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist. I do mix of cardio and strength training.
  • TriFinders
    Options

Absolutely agree!

Actually, I was saying to my husband the other day, that to me, triathletes - both male and female - have the best physiques in my opinion, truly.

I love running, can cycle ok, am a really strong swimmer and would love to have done a triathlon - even a mini one lol, however, here;s the catch - I am useless at front crawl and do breast-stroke all the time and I don't think that will get me very far on the swim side of things even if I can swim a bloody long way doing that - can you picture everybody else bolting off and me humming away whilst I swim frog-like, I don't think it would cut it somehow :laugh:

Hey it's the taking part that counts and honestly, altho breast stroke is terribly energy inefficient in a wetsuit (bum too buoyant) it's a great way to start and it wouldn't take you long to learn to crawl.
    I loathe running and have dipped out of this season because i have an anterior prolapsed disc that needs surgery. it makes running terribly difficult, so i'm doing open water swim race series and endurance cycling sportives to keep me busy.
    Hubby kicked off his season a few weeks back with a European Qualifier and has one next weekend that he usually podiums at. Neither of us have done weights before and he's super fit. He usually gets fastest bike split.

Try Tri - you won't be sorry!
  • TriFinders
    Options

Lighter weights in a circuit type setting could be considered conditioning/cardio-vascular. TBH it's what's considered light for you, not light in general. You are using a weight which is no where near your 1RM.

Anyway, complexes are really just a circuit-type exercise - you just don't move from the spot you're on if you're using a barbell. For instance, one I do (which I pinched from Dan John) is:

Bent over Row

Power Clean

Front squat

Military press

Back squat

Good mornings

You do 5 or 8 reps with each exercise and move straight to the next one in the list without putting the bar down and do 8 of them, etc, etc. When you get to the final exercise - you've done a set. It's cardio-vascular, I can attest. Depending on how strong you are, you can just use a raw bar and do a few sets. If you're stronger you can do the raw bar as a warm-up and add a bit of weight with each set. Obviously if you find squatting with a raw oly bar challenging, then it's not really the complex for you. There are others that use dumbbells or kettlebells or even bodyweight.

I guess the message is don't be so narrow with your definitions. I prefer conditioning to cardio as a term. It comes with less baggage and is more all-encompassing. I like to have a mixture of strength, speedwork, conditioning, flexibilty and mobility. It's really not A or B it's how to meld A, B, C, D and E into a cohesive whole that supports your goals. For some people they might need more focus on A and less on C, or more on D and less on A. But they will need some of everything no matter what their sport or activity is, just the proportions need to be tweaked to be optimal for that activity.

That's wonderful thanks. I've learned a lot from this thread. Not having done weights before i was ignorant to your terminology and the science of it all. I think weights could compliment my swimming and i plan to look into it more.
    Cheers
  • jimmmer
    Options
    That's wonderful thanks. I've learned a lot from this thread. Not having done weights before i was ignorant to your terminology and the science of it all. I think weights could compliment my swimming and i plan to look into it more.
    Cheers

You're welcome!

It's a shame these cardio vs weights threads keep popping up all the time, because the question is based on a false premise. I thought I would try to make a positive contribution to this one, though.

Although, I'm sure another one will be along next week :)
  • __Di__
    Options

Absolutely agree!

Hey it's the taking part that counts and honestly, altho breast stroke is terribly energy inefficient in a wetsuit (bum too buoyant) it's a great way to start and it wouldn't take you long to learn to crawl.
    I loathe running and have dipped out of this season because i have an anterior prolapsed disc that needs surgery. it makes running terribly difficult, so i'm doing open water swim race series and endurance cycling sportives to keep me busy.
    Hubby kicked off his season a few weeks back with a European Qualifier and has one next weekend that he usually podiums at. Neither of us have done weights before and he's super fit. He usually gets fastest bike split.

Blimey, we have more in common then, three and a half years ago I had a prolapsed disc and yes, it definitely interrupts the old running routine for sure, I was fortunate in that I didn't have to have any surgery, every now and again it gets a bit tender and I stick a cold pack on it to shrink it back. When is your surgery, have you got a date yet?

Best of luck to your hubby in that event, how utterly exciting!!!
  • TriFinders
    Options
    Cheers

You're welcome!

It's a shame these cardio vs weights threads keep popping up all the time, because the question is based on a false premise. I thought I would try to make a positive contribution to this one, though.

Although, I'm sure another one will be along next week :)

Being new to MFP this week, i hadn't seen any before, but there clearly appears to be some bad blood on the topic. I wanted to ask questions but i think they were seen as fuelling a fire. I appreciate your patience with me.
    I steer clear of forums usually as the written word can be taken, not as intended, but in anyway at all.
  • TriFinders
    Options

Absolutely agree!

Blimey, we have more in common then, three and a half years ago I had a prolapsed disc and yes, it definitely interrupts the old running routine for sure, I was fortunate in that I didn't have to have any surgery, every now and again it gets a bit tender and I stick a cold pack on it to shrink it back. When is your surgery, have you got a date yet?

Best of luck to your hubby in that event, how utterly exciting!!!

Wowzers!:noway:
    I have an MRI referral to determine what needs doing, gotta wait for all that yet. I'm hoping no surgery will be needed if i'm honest. I never enjoyed running really, i'm definitely more of a swimmer. I achieved a sub 24:28min 1600m in an open water race last year, but did a 1km race on Wednesday night with very disappointing results :sad:
    England is too cold for open water swimming really :laugh: so i hadn't had enough practise!