when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Balance is the key in all things. All of one, and not others is in my opinion not a balanced view on overall fitness..
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well to me...

None of you can run likely as fast as me nor as long distance as me, I can surf 8-12ft waves without issue, do as many pullups and chin ups as feel same with pushups and situps...

Do I really need weights? Not for what I do I do not...

You guys do the heavy stuff, let us surfers and ultra distance runners take on the actual challenges in life ;)

Wow. Assuming much are we? Who knew we had some sort of athletic legend in our midst.

Considering that I use this site to maintain between two weights between on and off season mostly...

Yep, not really assuming much considering the general population of this site.... I see daily posts about people struggling or extremely proud of 5km runs... And I'm like sure.. Be proud when thats basically a warm up for god sakes :/

I'm not assuming much, not at all! I'm just being honest from what I see posted daily... Why the hell must I lie? To make you feel better? Why? What benefit does that have for me?

I come top usually in my age groups, must I not be proud? I win races also depending distance, can I not be proud about that? Just because some people can't does that mean I can't be happy of what I can do?

It's the same as fat people and fit/skinny people. It is perfectly acceptable for the fat people to say bad things about the one group, but DARE they say anything back and all horror breaks loose usually! Seems the same reaction here.

I'm good, and to be honest, why must I hide it? Because you do not like it? Sorry... I'm not playing this stupid game anymore, I'm sick of watching what I say but others can insult me constantly and what I do and I apparently have to accept it.

Is this for real? lol...
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Can anyone offer one benefit of cardio that resistance training doesn't offer?...besides being better at running, that is.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Can anyone offer one benefit of cardio that resistance training doesn't offer?...besides being better at running, that is.

Seriously? Ok.

Skipping rope improves my rhythm, gives me a better recovery heart rate between sets, improves my circulation, teaches me to relax as I exert, and conditions me in ways lifting doesn't. It's a perfect way to get exercise on my rest days, which helps me sleep and makes me feel like the day was well spent. And it gives me an excuse to listen to "eye of the tiger", for real or just in my head as I do double unders.

Is that too short a list? Because that's just off the top of my head. And that's just one cardio exercise.

This is the dumbest debate, ever. It's like an argument over food vs. water.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

Seriously? Ok.

Skipping rope improves my rhythm, gives me a better recover heart rate, improves my circulation, teaches me to relax as I exert, and conditions me in ways lifting doesn't. It's a perfect way to get exercise on my rest days.

Is that too short a list? Because that's just off the top of my head.

And which one of those is cardio specific?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

From what I've seen in the gym, the most popular benefit seems to be that you can read a magazine (or watch TV) while doing it. Also, some people have figured out that you if you do it just right, you can do it without breaking a sweat...which is important if you had just applied makeup.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cardio is for the small minded...

Small minds are for the cardio? Lol

correct, only genius level folks lift weights..this is a fact of history.
    yaaaa thats they they are referred to as meatheads!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Seriously? Ok.

Skipping rope improves my rhythm, gives me a better recover heart rate, improves my circulation, teaches me to relax as I exert, and conditions me in ways lifting doesn't. It's a perfect way to get exercise on my rest days.

Oly lifting will increase your speed and co-ordination just as effectively.

Maximum effort exercise most certainly improves circulation, improves recovery periods and you very quickly learn that overtensioning is counterproductive to a lot of lifts.

So they're not really things that are unique to cardio. Do whatever you want though, I really don't care and I don't get why this is such a big CARDIO vs LIFTING type deal.

*runs off to do mobility exercises*
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

From what I've seen in the gym, the most popular benefit seems to be that you can read a magazine (or watch TV) while doing it. Also, some people have figured out that you if you do it just right, you can do it without breaking a sweat...which is important if you had just applied makeup.

Good post! Never thought of those.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I do weights and strength training is to make my legs stronger to become a better runner. I couldn't care less about abs or big muscles. I run. I'm a runner. It's what I do.
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I do plenty of Cardio because it's not a great idea to lift 2 days in a row, at least from what I've been told. Also, sometimes I just don't feel like lifting. Either way, good aerobic exercise is great for your heart :P
  • princessvalecia
    princessvalecia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love cardio....so if boycotting is cool. I'm very very uncool.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Seriously? Ok.

Oly lifting will increase your speed and co-ordination just as effectively.

Maximum effort exercise most certainly improves circulation, improves recovery periods and you very quickly learn that overtensioning is counterproductive to a lot of lifts.

So they're not really things that are unique to cardio. Do whatever you want though, I really don't care and I don't get why this is such a big CARDIO vs LIFTING type deal.

*runs off to do mobility exercises*

Ummm... Yes, but lifting every day is also called overtraining. So if you also do cardio, your recovery heart rate is superior to what it will be if you just lift.

Also, I said rhythm. And relaxation during exertion. I didn't even mention coordination. Are you doing prancercise squats or something?

I like to do something every day, and learned the hard way that lifting every day is not smart. Lift, skip, lift, skip, lift, lift, skip. That's what I call a week. Of course, I also skip a bit on the lift days. And if I can get to a pool, I like to do some sprints. Because I'm a thinking man, I guess.

Dumbest. Debate. Ever. This is about as meaningless as the dumb *kitten* talk about which style of martial art is superior, when you could be training.

If you don't do both strength and cardio, you will never be all you can be. Get over it and get to work.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    You people are arguing which type of exercise YOU do, and which YOU think is best. To answer the OP questions, the reason people "boycott" cardio is because there is ZERO benefit that is exclusive to cardio. Any benefit that cardio offers, resistance training offers, and more.

Runners are going to run, and lifters are going to lift. For the people that want to look/feel good, in the shortest amount of time, there is no reason to do cardio.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    You people are arguing which type of exercise YOU do, and which YOU think is best. To answer the OP questions, the reason people "boycott" cardio is because there is ZERO benefit that is exclusive to cardio. Any benefit that cardio offers, resistance training offers, and more.

Runners are going to run, and lifters are going to lift. For the people that want to look/feel good, in the shortest amount of time, there is no reason to do cardio.

And for people into more than just looking pretty, it's essential.
  • ironanimal
    Options

Well no, not really.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Well no, not really.

Yeah, I can see you disprove my point, so I take it back.

Why is this dumbass false dilemma so interesting to me? Not sure, but for some reason it is. I guess it's neat to see the psychology of people who feel the world is divided into conflicting interests, rather than a buffet of things you can enjoy together.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

Once you can offer me one benefit of steady cardio, that resistance training doesn't offer, I'll consider your argument.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

The only problem with that little theory is that I like to run races, I train for the races as well as to stay fit and also burn the calories - all in that order.

Lifting weights and doing no cardio wouldn't do me any good, because when it came to me wanting to run my 10k race later on in the year, I wouldn't do very well now, would I.
  • ironanimal
    Options

Well no, not really.
    Yeah, I can see you disprove my point, so I take it back.
    Does a powerlifter need cardio to excel at their sport?