when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Football player vs soccer player. Just depends what you're going for.

Who would NOT go for a soccer player? Swoon. Just sayin.
    Because they fall over in a stiff breeze, not after being hit by a 300lb monster truck of a man? :P

They have lean muscular physiques, grace, agility, and stamina... I don't need I man to pick me up and carry me around...I need a man to keep up...lol... keep up...

Ya, because AP absolutely doesn't have a muscular physique, grace, agility, or stamina. :laugh: Not all football players are 300 lb linemen. It's the guys who take them on, run through them, then outrun the defensive backs.

adrian.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    false dichotomy is false.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Of coures neither are doing it wrong, but I do prefer the look of the lifter. And in general, I prefer the physique of people who lift weights. Current fashion says muscles are sexy, but like any fashion trend will change over time.

There are health benefits of both, of course. And IMO, people should do both. By the way, we also need to be touting flexibility. Where is that thread? ;-)

Also,

check out these 2 both top of thier game in thier chosen sports which are very similar, one favours lifting over cardio, who is going to tell them they are doing it wrong?

hoy20181.jpg

Bradley-Wiggins-001.jpg

If Wiggo had the body that Hoy has then he'd be a hell of a lot slower up those hills!
    I like lean muscle, not over the top body building and especially not on women. I think Cycling/swimming will produce lean muscle enough to keep you healthy, fit & strong, but in MY opinion (take it or leave it) we do not need to obsess over weights to add inches to our bodies. It's clearly a passion built on obsession and i don't think it keeps your heart fit!
    I applaud anybody caring for their bodies, but there are boundaries.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i lift for muscle strength and do cardio to work out my heart and lungs. and of course, i marry the two so i can become a sexy beast.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Of coures neither are doing it wrong, but I do prefer the look of the lifter. And in general, I prefer the physique of people who lift weights. Current fashion says muscles are sexy, but like any fashion trend will change over time.

There are health benefits of both, of course. And IMO, people should do both. By the way, we also need to be touting flexibility. Where is that thread? ;-)

Also,

check out these 2 both top of thier game in thier chosen sports which are very similar, one favours lifting over cardio, who is going to tell them they are doing it wrong?

hoy20181.jpg

Bradley-Wiggins-001.jpg

If Wiggo had the body that Hoy has then he'd be a hell of a lot slower up those hills!
    I like lean muscle, not over the top body building and especially not on women. I think Cycling/swimming will produce lean muscle enough to keep you healthy, fit & strong, but in MY opinion (take it or leave it) we do not need to obsess over weights to add inches to our bodies. It's clearly a passion built on obsession and i don't think it keeps your heart fit!
    I applaud anybody caring for their bodies, but there are boundaries.

Obsessing over weights won't add inches to your body. It depends how you eat while lifting.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I always believed that cardio is for stamina and conditioning and lifting is for your overall strength so you need both and I always incorporate them every week..
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Obsessing over weights won't add inches to your body. It depends how you eat while lifting.
    [/quote]

which is all part of the body building process tho yes? People dedicate their lives to eating the right stuff and lifting the weights to add inches to their bodies!
    I think Wiggo needs to be smaller to move faster on the bike so will eat well, but according to what he expends.

I think Wiggo IS healthier than any bodybuilder.
    As i said it's just my opinion, but resistance training to tone and form muscle doesn't need to involve weights!
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. There's some instagram pic that 'some girls put up that says something like, "Zumba? I lift." As if zumba is for wussies. I don't do zumba, but I find it offensive. It is a great cardio workout and if it's one's workout choice, then that's great! I think this whole non cardio thing is some bro science.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

which is all part of the body building process tho yes? People dedicate their lives to eating the right stuff and lifting the weights to add inches to their bodies!
    I think Wiggo needs to be smaller to move faster on the bike so will eat well, but according to what he expends.

As i said it's just my opinion, but resistance training to tone and form muscle doesn't need to involve weights!
    Probably depends how you define health.

To me, he just looks frail. And anyone that is happy to be seen in public in yellow latex needs their head examind :)
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

As a die-hard Gone With The Wind fan, I must point out that Rhett Butler actually said, "Frankly, i don't give a damn". People have added in the "my dear" over time for dramatic effect.
    At the risk of being obnoxiously pedantic, it was the "frankly" that was later added. Rhett says "My dear, I don't give a damn" in the book and "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" in the movie.

While we're at it, can we acknowledge that what Hamlet actually said was "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio..." He never said he knew him "well."

What can I say? I'm something of a scholar. :laugh:

(And I'm not touching the cardio vs. strength thing; no desire to bite that meaty hook.)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

As a die-hard Gone With The Wind fan, I must point out that Rhett Butler actually said, "Frankly, i don't give a damn". People have added in the "my dear" over time for dramatic effect.
    At the risk of being obnoxiously pedantic, it was the "frankly" that was later added. Rhett says "My dear, I don't give a damn" in the book and "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" in the movie.

While we're at it, can we acknowledge that what Hamlet actually said was "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio..." He never said he knew him "well."

What can I say? I'm something of a scholar. :laugh:

(And I'm not touching the cardio vs. strength thing; no desire to bite that meaty hook.)

"a fellow of infinite jest"
  • RGv2
    Options

[/quote]

Way to quote...

All part of body building, yes, but very few are body builders. I am not a body builder. I lift to add strength, not to get bigger. I eat to maintain or lose a bit here and there. I do cardio, HARD, but sport specific movements. This way I'm fast enough to run away, agile enough to go around, or strong enough to go over someone on the football field.

Lifting isn't about body building. You're confusing the two.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    To the OP -

Poor attempt at trolling. You need to up your game.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. There's some instagram pic that 'some girls put up that says something like, "Zumba? I lift." As if zumba is for wussies. I don't do zumba, but I find it offensive. It is a great cardio workout and if it's one's workout choice, then that's great! I think this whole non cardio thing is some bro science.

I would have gone to this zumba studio.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/maine-zumba-prostitute-wright-sentenced-to-jail-time/
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm 100% FOR cardio. If it wasn't for cardio I'd still be fat. I lost ALL my weight doing nothing but cardio & I have great fitness because of it. Even the PT I saw once was impressed. It took me 7 months to lose all my weight, become so damn fit I can do it all on 4 hours sleep & still be great every single day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ALL THE WAY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't do any lifting at all, I do a lot of cycling, and my thighs and calves are twice if not 3 times the size of some of the guys who spend hours in the gym pressing and lifting on their legs, I am a total cardio advocate whilst I understand the benefits of both cardio and lifting, it is my choice currently not to lift, if it gets to the point where I am not shifting my weight using the methods that I am currently using then I will consider changing my program

Um....you do understand that cycling is a form of resistance training...right?

Never trust someone who types "whilst".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think people are more rejecting the hamsterwheels that are ellipticals and treadmills.

Rejecting them is fine on a personal level. Derogating others for choosing them is not fine.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    its retarded...weight lifting IS CARDIO...CARDIO MENS HEART...my sister is a Cardiologist..just steer clear of the hamster wheel
    variety:)
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    For someone who is not trying to buff it up but simply trying to get into shape i think the right mix of cardio and lifting is the perfect fit
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone should lift or otherwise do some sort of resistance training as well as cardio...most people I know who are at all into fitness do both because they understand that having an all around good level of fitness requires both.

^ This.

The cardio bashing on this site has gotten a bit ridiculous, IMO.

This, or rather these ^^.

Resistance training it as important for long term health as cardio, but it does not have to be lifting weights any more than cardio has to be a treadmill. If you have no physical handicaps, you should be able get all the exercise your body needs with nothing other than your body.