Can we find a way to help my little girl stay motivated?

Options
My daughter, 'mommyofX2', has been doing great for the last 10 days, but is hitting a bad place in her journey. She normally works very hard at Zumba when she's not keeping her two little ones busy, fed and happy ... and we go to the gym together on Sunday afternoons. She's really done great -- lost at least 7 pounds so far -- but lack of support at home and having little time to take care of herself are taking their toll. She's losing her motivation.

It would be really great if some MFP members could come to the rescue to get her through this stumbling block. I do what I can but it's just not enough.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, only she can motivate herself, only she can decide she wants it. That's just the way it is. Some people aren't ready to make the commitment yet.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I understand completely, I have an in home daycare and 2 children of my own finding time for myself is very hard. My motivation comes and goes with the wind. I have a lot of friends and most say nothing. I support all of my friends but request the same in return
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yeah, her biggest problem is that her man is afraid she might leave him when she gets to her goal ... so he goes out of his way to sabotage her.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, only she can motivate herself, only she can decide she wants it. That's just the way it is. Some people aren't ready to make the commitment yet.

This is what I was coming to say. I am a single mom with two kids. I had to find a way to want it for myself while working a full time job and raising two small boys alone. She simply has to want it herself. All the motivation and support online will mean nothing if she can't do it herself anyway.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yeah, her biggest problem is that her man is afraid she might leave him when she gets to her goal ... so he goes out of his way to sabotage her.

Sounds like a very unhealthy relationship. They should consider seeing a professional about that. Would probably be good for both of them.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's a lot easier to start with one thing at a time. They way you eat is the most important thing when it comes to losing weight. So maybe she should just start with that for now. Exercise is important, too, but that can come later. That way, she won't feel so overwhelmed with it.
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    hahaha ... silly me.

All I was asking was for a few awesome people like the ones who added me to do the same for her, and offer a little support.
  • rachelc677
    rachelc677 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hahaha you're not silly.... yeah yeah she has to want it for herself but sometimes having MFPfriends can go a long way to helping out... I've added you and your daugher already :)
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    Exactly ... thank you rachel.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Wait. You are her mom, she is an adult, and you are asking for people on MFP to help your "little girl" out? She can't ask herself? I'm sorry, but at some point motivation has to come from within. No one other than the individual in question can choose for her to get up and go to the gym, to eat in moderation, to struggle through hard days, or deal with life's little ups and downs. I'm sorry but cut the apron strings. Seriously.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wait. You are her mom, she is an adult, and you are asking for people on MFP to help your "little girl" out? She can't ask herself? I'm sorry, but at some point motivation has to come from within. No one other than the individual in question can choose for her to get up and go to the gym, to eat in moderation, to struggle through hard days, or deal with life's little ups and downs. I'm sorry but cut the apron strings. Seriously.

And maybe don't call out her boyfriend/your potential-future-son-in-law publicly like that. It looks bad.

Edit: because I had them as married when apparently they aren't.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative about your desire to help your daughter, but did you think this through? Does she know that you posted this? It kind of puts her personal life out there without her consent. Her marriage is her marriage. As much as you'd like to help, you might make things even worse between them, particularly if he reads this or your daughter gets upset with you for insulting her husband.

I'm sorry he's not as supportive as you think he should be, but that really should be between your daughter and her husband.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative about your desire to help your daughter, but did you think this through? Does she know that you posted this? It kind of puts her personal life out there without her consent. Her marriage is her marriage. As much as you'd like to help, you might make things even worse between them, particularly if he reads this or your daughter gets upset with you for insulting her husband.

I'm sorry he's not as supportive as you think he should be, but that really should be between your daughter and her husband.

Agreed!
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

i think its just fantasy.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

CRAP!!! Now its stuck in my head!
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a land slide...
  • mommyofX2
    mommyofX2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just reading this now. I am the daughter. Thanks to those who have added me and said such kind words. I was feeling alone and to be honest I didnt want to bother people with my problems and I want to thank my mom for being so supportive with this (means the world to me) and this actually makes me feel more motivated to prove to some that people can get a lot of something like this. I know I am going to have my off days like today but i know i can have way more like last week which I ended up losing 7 pounds from working so hard. I need to find a way to balance my life with this and I havent quite figured it out yet but... I will.

And as for my bf and I we are great together its just he doesnt know how to support me fully. I think he wants to but he cant figured out the right way to do it.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    you can friend me