Why do my coworkers make fun of me for eating "healthy"?

Options
sugamonstaa
sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I started a job about 4 months ago surrounded by numerous restaurants and fast food chains. I can walk next door or go for a minute drive. Since I started this job, I noticed my coworkers impulsive behaviors.

They go on constant food runs and routinely have a happy hour milk shake pick me up for 1/2 off at steak and shake across the street. I notice I've been giving in every food run so lately I've been saying no a lot more.

They make fun of me for turning food down and say I am not even fat BC I am thin when it's not about that. I feel like crap when I put crap in my body.

I don't even eat "clean" I just eat a bit healthier than the average American I would say but I just try in moderation with sweets and junk. I try to avoid having a lot of it...They make fun of me but imo they're impulsive and weak with several other addictions other than food lol one coworker is pregnant and smokes. She was a heavy smoker but now smokes 1-3 cigs a day and think it's ok.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    When people are trying to justify their poor behavior, they want the whole group to comply with the “standard.” So, set your own standard and let the group have theirs. Eventually, they’ll stop asking you because it reminds them of their failings.
  • nyhcsiss
    nyhcsiss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haters
    Pay them no mind
    They hate us cause they ain't us lol :)
  • M3Kindschi
    M3Kindschi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hear you...one of my co-workers calls me anorexic! I even eat MORE then she does!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Stay strong, they'll eventually stop. It's unfortunate that the average american mentality is such to make fun of people that eat "healthy".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know why.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you'd stop judging others, they'll stop judging you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know why.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Ask them to get you a coffee. And offer to go "on the run" for them sometime, and get yourself a coffee or a tea or a soda or a diet coke. Maybe that might help....
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    people have a hard time having they're bad habits 'shown' to them. by refusing to go they realize they own shortfalls, but it's easier to make it seem like your the one with the problem. unfortunatly if this is a daily thing...u will probably no longer be part of the 'gang'. good for u for staying strong.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This.
    When people are trying to justify their poor behavior, they want the whole group to comply with the “standard.” So, set your own standard and let the group have theirs. Eventually, they’ll stop asking you because it reminds them of their failings.

• SassyMoonbeams
    SassyMoonbeams Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This. Absolutely this. It makes them feel better about eating junk and not taking care of themselves to put you down. This is the attitude I had before overhauling my health.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    " I'm sorry I don't recall asking you for an opinion on my food consumption"

"Thanks mom- I appreciate your' concern- but I've got the situation under control"

"where did you get your MD/Nutrionialist/dietitican certification?"

"how's your dead lift these days?"
    Oh that's right- I forgot you don't.

points to right quad- points to left quad
    That's hercules- and that's Xena.
    They tell me what I get to eat.
    Quads of doom are never wrong.

And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you- just tell them " if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

and let it go- move on.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    IMO they are jealous of your success and are trying to sabotage you. I get that all the time, this one girl who is.overweight is always giving me a hard time about my healthy choices and not eating stuff people bring in. That's the only thing I can think of.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    People attempt to maintain status quo. It's the same with drinking, smoking etc. Kind of like crab bucket syndrome.
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    " I'm sorry I don't recall asking you for an opinion on my food consumption"

"Thanks mom- I appreciate your' concern- but I've got the situation under control"

"where did you get your MD/Nutrionialist/dietitican certification?"

"how's your dead lift these days?"
    Oh that's right- I forgot you don't.

points to right quad- points to left quad
    That's hercules- and that's Xena.
    They tell me what I get to eat.
    Quads of doom are never wrong.

And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you- just tell them " if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

and let it go- move on.

This xD

Just ignore your coworkers.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options

[/quote]

How was I judgong them? I joined but then de iced for my own good I didn't want to and then got made fun of each time I say no. Sometimes they even buy r anyways because they think it's funny to tempt me
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dude, time to get a new place of work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.

If that went down ok (which, really?? but ok), keep it light like that, it'll work :)