Why do my coworkers make fun of me for eating "healthy"?

Options

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I started a job about 4 months ago surrounded by numerous restaurants and fast food chains. I can walk next door or go for a minute drive. Since I started this job, I noticed my coworkers impulsive behaviors.

They go on constant food runs and routinely have a happy hour milk shake pick me up for 1/2 off at steak and shake across the street. I notice I've been giving in every food run so lately I've been saying no a lot more.

They make fun of me for turning food down and say I am not even fat BC I am thin when it's not about that. I feel like crap when I put crap in my body.

I don't even eat "clean" I just eat a bit healthier than the average American I would say but I just try in moderation with sweets and junk. I try to avoid having a lot of it...They make fun of me but imo they're impulsive and weak with several other addictions other than food lol one coworker is pregnant and smokes. She was a heavy smoker but now smokes 1-3 cigs a day and think it's ok.
    My guess is that they are feeling secretly judged. Given your post, it looks like those feelings are largely justified.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe if you'd stop judging others, they'll stop judging you.

How was I judgong them? I joined but then de iced for my own good I didn't want to and then got made fun of each time I say no. Sometimes they even buy r anyways because they think it's funny to tempt me

"they are impulsive and weak" certainly doesn't sound like judgement to me and anyone that thinks it does is just a jealous hater.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One of the greatest helps in our efforts to get (and stay) fit is surrounding ourselves with like-minded people. But it's not always possible! I live in Texas... where chips, queso dip and deep-fried-everything are served at most gatherings... and the majority of my friends do not care one bit what they eat or weigh. I love them but it would sure be nice to be encouraged rather than constantly tempted or made fun of. A lot of the time they don't even realize they are doing it. When I pull out a bag of baby carrots or sugar snap peas (which I usually carry in my purse) they say things like "Really? Carrots?" and honestly I know they just can't imagine bringing THAT as a snack, when cookies and sodas are the norm for them. I just try to be good-natured about it and continue to do my thing.
  • laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    One thing I say that seems to work is - How come you're so interested in what I eat? It makes them feel a little silly. Or I just smile and say no thank you. No excuse needed.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lift your shirt and say "Because I like my abs"!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

How was I judgong them? I joined but then de iced for my own good I didn't want to and then got made fun of each time I say no. Sometimes they even buy r anyways because they think it's funny to tempt me

"they are impulsive and weak" certainly doesn't sound like judgement to me and anyone that thinks it does is just a jealous hater.

However many are impulsive and weak.
    Fit to be trampled by those of us who choose to lead them to providence. Wait, sorry, I've been reading too much foreign policy lately.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    impulsive and weak is a bit harsh. They just have different goals and priorities. My best friend (who I have dinner with, OFTEN) is over 300lbs. She makes fun of me sometimes (gotta log that fry? lol) but its good natured. She has no interest in losing weight, so I dont talk about my food stuff/having lost weight/etc with her. We talk about other things.

And fat people eat some amazing food. If you dont care about losing/gaining then you are free to pursue deliciousness to the fullest.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    skinny people eat some amazing food too. Funny thing to realize.

Something I HAVE noticed in my years cooking, is that skinny people usually make the best and most innovative food.
  • Crememocha
    Options
    nyhcsiss wrote: »
    Haters
    Pay them no mind
    They hate us cause they ain't us lol :)
    In the college, all of my friends call me "Scale Boy" cuz I always stuff a scale and a couple protein powder containers in my backpack. But what did I do? I smiled at them and accept the friendly nickname. That's just the way it is:)
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I got this for a little while when I changed my eating habits 'Ooh drinking water now?', 'soup for lunch, on a health kick?' I think it was mostly curiosity.

They'd maybe offer me sweets/candy the same amount as anyone else but there'd be an added 'are you sure?' if/when I refused.

It settled down again after a couple of months.

(I still buy sweets for the team every now and then and still treat myself every now and then too.)

My advice would be to continue to focus on what makes you feel good, let them do what suits them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Tell then to go pound sand.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.

If that went down ok (which, really?? but ok), keep it light like that, it'll work :)

what do you mean which really- but okay?

that sounds like you're implying- really? you said that?

Not sure if serious or not- because that's EXACTLY what it is!!! their own guilt- so what- she called them out on it.

You don't get to give someone a hard time and then not get called out on it. Actually- people expect it frequently- we'd have more people minding their own business- and less hassling others if THEY WERE called out on it.
    She was 100% right.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten* everyone has one.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Um, no? You will notice her criticisms are in response to theirs not the other way around.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.

If that went down ok (which, really?? but ok), keep it light like that, it'll work :)

what do you mean which really- but okay?

that sounds like you're implying- really? you said that?

Not sure if serious or not- because that's EXACTLY what it is!!! their own guilt- so what- she called them out on it.

You don't get to give someone a hard time and then not get called out on it. Actually- people expect it frequently- we'd have more people minding their own business- and less hassling others if THEY WERE called out on it.
    She was 100% right.

Right. Telling the truth at all times is excellent for work relationships.

My "really?" was two-fold
    - did she really say that
    - did they think it was funny (possible, depending)
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Seems like an observation to me, it's also a defensive statement made after she was criticized similarly.

And since when is judgement bad? Don't we all judge daily ? Unfair judgement is bad perhaps but not fair informed judgement.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's sad that people who do not care about what they put into their body judge and criticize others who actually do. I would seriously just ignore them... People are ignorant, and I can't imagine having to deal with that at work everyday. Maybe it will help like someone else already suggested if when they ask if you want something you get like a tea or coffee or something... Then offer to go on the run sometimes too? It might help, and if it doesn't, then just say, oh well screw them in your head and forget about them because at the end of the day, haters are gonna hate!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It may be that they want you to be part of their group and that's their way of getting you in.I say you can be part of their goup but keep your own counsel because, unless they are paying your bills or buying your clothes their opinion can whistle. You just concentrate on what you're doing and leave them to do their thing.
  • FitnessorFudget
    FitnessorFudget Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's that same mentality that makes people make fun of high-achievers for being "nerdy." It's easier to shame someone for something you know YOU should be doing than to acknowledge and praise - it's a lot easier to tear something down than to build it up.

Good job on sticking to what you're doing :D:D:D
  • youtastelike
    youtastelike Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you- just tell them " if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

I'm dying ;) The problem is that we really spend almost as much time with our coworkers thabn with our family - maintaining a stress- and suspenseful and uncomfortable relationship with them do big harm in the long run. I hope that eventually they'll stop, but if not just go with them for a tea every now and then.