Why do my coworkers make fun of me for eating "healthy"?

Options

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    dude, time to get a new place of work.

Great suggestion.

"Why did you leave your last job?"

They judged me lol

;)
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been personally inconvenienced many times by the glutendairysugaregg free crowd. Super funny that you get hassled for being low maintenance and not wanting a milkshake at noon. Tell them your nutritionist put you on a very restricted diet for some unnamed rare intolerance. It seems to work for a lot of people.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    there are a few options I can think of, call them on it or give a comeback as already suggested, explain what your goals are and why you have them so they can be in your corner instead of wondering what the heck is going on, misdirect their attention entirely "sorry not buying food out right now because I am saving my extra money for whatever..."

hope you find a good solution, it can be tough navagating issues with co workers
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.

If that went down ok (which, really?? but ok), keep it light like that, it'll work :)

what do you mean which really- but okay?

that sounds like you're implying- really? you said that?

Not sure if serious or not- because that's EXACTLY what it is!!! their own guilt- so what- she called them out on it.

You don't get to give someone a hard time and then not get called out on it. Actually- people expect it frequently- we'd have more people minding their own business- and less hassling others if THEY WERE called out on it.
    She was 100% right.

Right. Telling the truth at all times is excellent for work relationships.

My "really?" was two-fold
    - did she really say that
    - did they think it was funny (possible, depending)

So you think it wise to constantly lie to your colleagues?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

Great suggestion.

They judged me lol

;)

"The culture from the top down was rotten. Management allowed the staff to treat the business location more as a high school than a work establishment. After spending x months attempting to help correct course, I found it far more efficient to find a new job."

Unless you're working at the local piggly wiggly, culture is a huge thing. If the culture is wrong, people will completely understand if you bail out.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    They jelly- that's how I view it.

I deal with it all the time from my coworkers.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Great suggestion.

They judged me lol

;)

"The culture from the top down was rotten. Management allowed the staff to treat the business location more as a high school than a work establishment. After spending x months attempting to help correct course, I found it far more efficient to find a new job."

Unless you're working at the local piggly wiggly, culture is a huge thing. If the culture is wrong, people will completely understand if you bail out.
    I was just being cheeky
  • dbmata
    Options

Great suggestion.

They judged me lol

;)

I was just being cheeky

I was being clear. It's 6am, I'm not cheeky, I'm headachy and probably wanting to be a little mean. lol.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Because you're challenging their comfort, you're making them self-conscious about their choices (which they understand are choices only by looking at yours). Smile through it, they'll get bored with it after a while. Even with the defensive motivation, chickpeas are only funny for so long.

lol funny you mention it. They said I was trying to make them feel bad but I joked and said, "sure that's not your guilt?" I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.

If that went down ok (which, really?? but ok), keep it light like that, it'll work :)

Not sure if serious or not- because that's EXACTLY what it is!!! their own guilt- so what- she called them out on it.

You don't get to give someone a hard time and then not get called out on it. Actually- people expect it frequently- we'd have more people minding their own business- and less hassling others if THEY WERE called out on it.
    She was 100% right.

So you think it wise to constantly lie to your colleagues?

"you have bad breath"
    "your jokes are terrible and i wish you'd stop telling them"
    "your partner is unattractive"
    "you're lazy and you're dragging everyone down"
    "i think you stole my favourite spoon, but i can't prove it"

are things that cross people's minds. not all of it needs to be said.

life is long and networks are luck and money; any of those people could be clients or bosses or who knows what, now or later.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    skinny people eat some amazing food too. Funny thing to realize.

Something I HAVE noticed in my years cooking, is that skinny people usually make the best and most innovative food.

You are probably right. I am skinny now, and I am certainly not eating sand/twigs. My food is so good. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I guess if you aren't working in a meritocracy based industry, then have at it.

I see nothing wrong with any of those.
    "You have bad breath."
    "Oh no! I have a presentation in 3 minutes. Do you have any gum?"
    - Boom, just saved a team mate from being a jackwagon in a presentation.

"You're lazy and you're dragging everyone down."
    - That's a solid and efficient way to correct a wayward team member, while also chronicling the counseling, in order to facilitate speedier and easier firing.

Networks are based on mutual value and contribution. Not looking out for someone in your network with little stuff like this means you aren't contributing value, and are not an investment worthy network resource.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I do IF, and have had a **** of a time explaining this concept to my coworkers. They're firmly in the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you don't eat it your body will slip into starvation mode and you'll DIE" camp, so they are at least 50% convinced that I have the most unhealthy eating habits possible.

That being said, after several months of politely declining lunch runs, doughnuts, and other snacks, the novelty of my declining these things wore off and I stopped hearing all but the occasional comment.

Live and let live (even if your coworkers can't follow that same advice).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Bye Felicia
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

"You have bad breath."

- That's a solid and efficient way to correct a wayward team member, while also chronicling the counseling, in order to facilitate speedier and easier firing.

Networks are based on mutual value and contribution. Not looking out for someone in your network with little stuff like this means you aren't contributing value, and are not an investment worthy network resource.

There's a difference between looking out for your colleague and commenting on their eating habits and motivations, lol!

Also what, to bolded? You'd say that to someone you work with (not supervise, and even then!)?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Oh riiiiiight, you mentioned your field - tech, or video games, right? I feel like that that's kind of a special industry
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

She was 100% right.

Meh - work place relationships are overrated. I've even found the odd, "Go F yourself" useful in some workplace scenarios.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Maybe if you'd stop judging others, they'll stop judging you.

How was I judgong them? I joined but then de iced for my own good I didn't want to and then got made fun of each time I say no. Sometimes they even buy r anyways because they think it's funny to tempt me

"they are impulsive and weak" certainly doesn't sound like judgement to me and anyone that thinks it does is just a jealous hater.

Seems like an observation to me, it's also a defensive statement made after she was criticized similarly.

And since when is judgement bad? Don't we all judge daily ? Unfair judgement is bad perhaps but not fair informed judgement.

oh, i'm sorry, i wasn't aware that at no point in time did the OP make a statement to any coworker ever that could possibly be construed as her judging them. i'll just take everything she says at face value and assume that she's a complete and total victim and that she's fully documented every interaction with coworkers right here in this thread. because the type of personality that would call someone impulsive and weak is certainly not the type of person that would ever let those feelings slip thru in their day to day interactions.

and if judgement is perfectly okay, why does this thread even exist? let's all just go home
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Does your co workers have a body like your profile pic? If not then they can't say anything.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sounds like these people don't have enough to do at their jobs.

I don't see what the problem is to just say 'no thanks' and move on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

"You have bad breath."

There's a difference between looking out for your colleague and commenting on their eating habits and motivations, lol!

Also what, to bolded? You'd say that to someone you work with (not supervise, and even then!)?

which circles back around to you just shouldn't be doing so..... meaning- keep your mouth shut- and if you don't- then you open yourself up to all sorts of missiles- including "if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

Don't make comments- then people don't make comments back.

I'm not at work to make friends- or coddle them- I'm here to get my job done. Fortunately for me- I love my coworkers- and we have a great working relationship- and if they have bad breath- you're damn right I say something- like dude- you're killing me- go brush.

And yes- my boss has had conversations with us- fix your ish- or you're out. Allowing mediocrity to remain doesn't help anyone.