Intimidated at the gym.

Options

Replies

• ivoluntas
    ivoluntas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to use their motivation to motivate myself. It can be uplifting to be surrounded by weightlifters and be a part of the environment. The guys at my gym are usually either helpful or really into their own workout so they don't notice anything else. Def listen to music - helps me zone out.
  • redonkulousd
    redonkulousd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you know what you're doing in the gym then you'll quickly notice how terrible most "big" guys lifting form is...slanging weight around all crazy, like they're doing the humpty dance (just kidding..go lift for goodness sake!)
  • lethalbanana
    lethalbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's like a bandaid, just rip it off and go in there. NO ONE IS LOOKING AT YOU! I was worried before too but quickly I realized how silly I was. I'm too focused on my own work out to notice anyone else and so are the other people working out in there. Just think, if these big guys are lifting triple digits they are way too busy and focused to watch you and vice versa.
  • cje151
    cje151 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just know that most of the dudes are pouring it on and trying to look intimidating as possible to try and impress you more than likely. Just laugh it off in your mind and continue on. Remember they're more afraid of you than you are of them lol ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cje151 wrote: »
    Just know that most of the dudes are pouring it on and trying to look intimidating as possible to try and impress you more than likely. Just laugh it off in your mind and continue on. Remember they're more afraid of you than you are of them lol ;)

really- most of the guys in my gym are you know... there to lift. so they lift.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer at a bodybuilding gym and hear this every single day. I don't believe I've ever had a client who wasn't intimidated in the gym (and I work with those scary guys lifting 20x more than anybody else... they're looking around wondering what people are thinking of them too). Just walk in and do your thing. Most people will be impressed. Anyone who's not isn't worth your time.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i was 285 and super weak when i started and i just went every day, and then after about 15-20 days or so i started to feel like i belonged, i started to notice the people that went the same time as me, i got used to where everything was in the gym and knew what i was doing. It just takes time for any new routine to feel comfortable.
  • cje151
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

True, but you honestly don't think they give it a bit extra when a good looking girl is around? That's why I prefer to go to a gym, more people around makes you push just a bit harder than if you were at home.

....aside from that I was attempting to help her out with her intimidation issues at the gym!
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I was 5'4", 197#, and pushing 40 when I walked into Gold's Gym amongst the MuscleBros. They did not give 2 rat's hind legs, except that after a couple months & 15 lbs down, a couple of them said how great I was doing. I was surprised, and pretty pleased. Chicks who lift are just the tops, so go for it. Nobody cares until you stick around. ;) I hope you are having a fantastic night lifting!
  • JoRocka
    edited March 2015
    Options

True, but you honestly don't think they give it a bit extra when a good looking girl is around? That's why I prefer to go to a gym, more people around makes you push just a bit harder than if you were at home.

....aside from that I was attempting to help her out with her intimidation issues at the gym!

I realize that- but that should be from within. Veiled compliments about guys reacting to a womans prescence insults men- robs them of their hard work- and it kind of puts a bad onus on the woman.

it's just dangerous territory.

And honestly- I don't give a rats a22 what they do- I know *most* of guys at my gym don't'- they train hard. They train hard if I'm there or not there. Yeah we have days where we get into mini comps- or there is max out monday- and sure we go ham- but EVERYONE is going ham in front of everyone. Not just because some woman walks in.

Training is training. you either no how to work hard or you don't. Everyone else can see it too they know if you're working or posing.
  • cje151
    Options

I realize that- but that should be from within. Veiled compliments about guys reacting to a womans prescence insults men- robs them of their hard work- and it kind of puts a bad onus on the woman.

And honestly- I don't give a rats a22 what they do- I know *most* of guys at my gym don't'- they train hard. They train hard if I'm there or not there. Yeah we have days where we get into mini comps- or there is max out monday- and sure we go ham- but EVERYONE is going ham in front of everyone. Not just because some woman walks in.

Training is training. you either no how to work hard or you don't. Everyone else can see it too they know if you're working or posing.

*Sigh* I think your missing the point but now were just highjacking this post. Last time I checked this was "intimidated at the gym" on myfitnesspal. If you want to talk about going berserker, balls out , hardcore at the gym let's take this over to the t nation forum and we can do that!
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I first started I felt the same way but I decided I wanted to loose the weight more than I cared what people thought. It may sound silly but I would tell myself, would I rather jiggle and huff for (x amount of time) in the gym to get to my goal or would I rather jiggle and huff forever wherever I go? It'll happen either way, people are jerks and i did get laughed at, but you might as well do something worth it! :)
  • cje151
    Options
    When I first started I felt the same way but I decided I wanted to loose the weight more than I cared what people thought. It may sound silly but I would tell myself, would I rather jiggle and huff for (x amount of time) in the gym to get to my goal or would I rather jiggle and huff forever wherever I go? It'll happen either way, people are jerks and i did get laughed at, but you might as well do something worth it! :)

Very good way to look at it! Lol
  • JoRocka
    Options

*Sigh* I think your missing the point but now were just highjacking this post. Last time I checked this was "intimidated at the gym" on myfitnesspal. If you want to talk about going berserker, balls out , hardcore at the gym let's take this over to the t nation forum and we can do that!

not really.
    I thought I read you loud and clear- I just deeply disagree with you.

I think my basic premise is that people show up at the gym to work.

You're is essentially debasing men and objectifying women and that she should use that to empower her self- much when people suggest to women that cat calling is empowering. She needs to suck it up and realize people don't care about her that much and just go do the work- it's not about other people.

• cje151
    Options

not really.

You're is essentially debasing men and objectifying women and that she should use that to empower her self- much when people suggest to women that cat calling is empowering. She needs to suck it up and realize people don't care about her that much and just go do the work- it's not about other people.

Okay, since this is SO important to you and you're not going to drop it..........ever, I'm going to move on before you continue to take it to a place it never needed to go. Peace!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

not really.

I agree with maybe 70% of what you're saying.
    - women should not see cat-calling or leering as an empowering thing - agree
    - anyone going to the gym should ignore others and focus on their goals - agree
    - men are at the gym to work - yes agree but i think we're kidding ourselves if we don't admit that they like to have a looky loo now and then, too. that's not doing men a disservice, it's being realistic.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being a fatty at the gym? Anyone who judges a person for working out is a *kitten* and their opinion isn't worth caring about.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

not really.

- men are at the gym to work - yes agree but i think we're kidding ourselves if we don't admit that they like to have a looky loo now and then, too. that's not doing men a disservice, it's being realistic.

True, men look at women and women look at men. Not really earth shattering news but unless you want to be labelled a gym creeper you keep your eyes to yourself most of the time, be polite and do your workout. I think part of the intimidation comes from the fact that people feel that when they are noticed they feel that they are also being judged and really that's not going to be the case unless the person judging is insecure in their own skin.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

not really.

True, men look at women and women look at men. Not really earth shattering news but unless you want to be labelled a gym creeper you keep your eyes to yourself most of the time, be polite and do your workout. I think part of the intimidation comes from the fact that people feel that when they are noticed they feel that they are also being judged and really that's not going to be the case unless the person judging is insecure in their own skin.

i think the last bit, about people not judging, is a little optimistic, but in the end, it doesn't matter - all you can do is pay attention to your business.

personally, when i started going to the gym, before i knew what to do with anything and when i was just beginning to lose weight, i felt much less self-conscious using a weight room my old gym had designated specifically and only for women. it was great, actually. the pressure was totally off. eventually i made it into the larger room where men and more advanced women worked out. i'm ok for pretty much everything now except for hip thrusts.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DYELB?
This discussion has been closed.