Calling All Oatmeal Lovers!

Options

Replies

• lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I cut down my 1/2 cup serving of oats to 1/3 cup. Add in 1/4 cup skim milk after I cook it, some steevia (the organic kind - do not buy truvia) a sprinkle of cinnamon and bananas or strawberries or apples makes it pretty close to the packet but no sugar (other than from the fruit) and still low calories!
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Theres a utube video of Jamie Oliver's 5 way oats I think its called.

I love just adding brown sugar on top
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ar97qdsioi83.jpg

I like to add any of the following: cinnamon, flaxseed, chia seeds, PB2, egg whites (awesome texture), berries, banana, nuts & always topped with Greek yoghurt :blush:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just found out that oatmeal cooked in almond milk is totally awesome.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Gluten free Chex Oatmeal mixed with 2 Tbsp of Pb2 and one Truvia pkt.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you like pumpkin pie, you can add a little pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, salt and splenda. It tastes like pumpkin pie and only about 200 calories. ☺
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of good ideas here. I really strive for protein in the morning... Sooo, Here is my breakfast.
    Because I work - I make it the night before and it is reheated in the microwave when I get to work.

Oatmeal made with water (and a pinch of salt) - cooked in microwave
    add - cinnamon ..( helps to lower BP) but I seen pumpkin pie spice and that sounds awesome
    add 3 tbs Manitoba Crushed hemp hearts (buy at Costco - much cheaper)
    add 1 cup frozen mixed berries (Kirkland - Costco)
    add 1 cup frozen blueberries (Kirkland - Costco) I use fresh when they are available here

I will substitute with banana or fresh strawberries.

I am not allowed added sugar or the high sugar things so the banana is very rare.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    P0PTART wrote: »
    When you mix in protein powders, how do you keep the powder from turning lumpy? I have whey protein powder & every time I try to add it to something warm, it gets very funky lumpy.

I alway put 1/2 scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal. Put it in with the dry ingredients (oats, quinoa flakes, chia, spices, etc). Mix dry ingredients then add liquid and stir well. No lumps! Then add fruit, berries or other toppings. I do mine as overnight oats with everything addd in then in the morning I pop in microwave for 1-2 mins. I like mine warm but cold is pretty good too.
  • MegMula
    MegMula Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love quaker oatmeal for breakfast I need to find a type of healthy butter I can use I like it plain and use cinnamon and splenda my doctor told me to add protein when eating oatmeal because its all carbs and you will feel hungry later any suggestions on the type of healthy butter ??
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    w1pxf6fubyuq.jpg Im oatmeal obsessed! Let me know if you wanna see more oat creations
  • Francl27
    Options
    w1pxf6fubyuq.jpg Im oatmeal obsessed! Let me know if you wanna see more oat creations

Oh wow. Can't imagine the calories in that thing though!
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    ...mmm... oatmeal... I eat oatmeal daily, both savory and sweet.

I prefer a lightly sweet bowlful as a breakfast option and generally eat the savory as a side with meats and vegetables like any other pilaf/risotto type dish.

I personally like a mix of Bob's Red Mill steel cut pinhead (the standard kind, not the quick cook) and Bob's Five Grain rolled for their bolder texture. I find the combination of nuggety pinhead grains and big smooth rolled textures delightful.

And when I want an extra protein hit, I cook in a serving of Textured Vegetable Protein (again from Bob's). It adds an extra 12g of protein per serving for only 80 calories, has a bland, neutral flavor so I can use it in both savory and sweet versions, and since I like the heartier textured oats it really doesn't affect the texture of my oatmeal either.

Yum!! :)
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love oatmeal. However I love the sweet, goo-y yummy oatmeal. However, that is always loaded with sugar. I would love to hear what ya'll put in your oats to get them oh so yummy and still keep it on the healthy side. :)

Since I am vegan I don't put milk and I can not afford to buy rice or almond milk (tho I wish) , I eat plain rolled oat flackes,boiled with water with apple (usually) or some other fruit,banana is great option and very,very rear with pine tree honey ( max 20 g).
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't eat nuts very often cuz they tend to be high in fat
  • hejlibejli
    Options
    Since you're a vegan you should eat nuts, there very high in protein
  • Francl27
    Options
    hejlibejli wrote: »
    Since you're a vegan you should eat nuts, there very high in protein

Nope. Heck bread has more protein than nuts...
  • pennapely
    pennapely Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Plain porridge oats with 2/3 water 1/3 semi-skimmed milk, TSP honey and another splash of semi skimmed after I reheat it at work. Quick, filling, cheap and delicious.
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    9yxp7kdr9u3e.jpg

I started to eat oatmeal with no sugar since I started here.
    I love almond milk vanilla
    Bananas add sweetness
    Pecans gives it a good crunch
    Sometimes I add one packet of truvia

My son adds vanilla protein powder
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats with some combination of the following: apples, raisins, peaches, dried cranberries, blueberries, bananas, walnuts, brown sugar.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but - add some prunes before microwaving. SO Good!