Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    One day of going over won't kill you but shorting protein can hinder muscle repair and make DOMS last longer.

Links?

Define "shorting protein" too. There is a WIDE range of protein recommendation for people involved in resistance training. I would personally be more concerned about falling short on total calories.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    One day of going over won't kill you but shorting protein can hinder muscle repair and make DOMS last longer.

Links?

Define "shorting protein" too. There is a WIDE range of protein recommendation for people involved in resistance training. I would personally be more concerned about falling short on total calories.

I never heard of eating more protein to relieve DOMS. Then again I rarely experience that anymore.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I just now took a look at your diary. I'm going to figure this was regarding Sunday. Yeah - more protein.
    lol, Sunday is kinda what brought this to mind. I try to get 100g per day minimum and would like to get 130 or so. I still like calorie dense carbs like cornbread dressing so sometimes its a decision. I don't agonize over it, somedays calories win, somedays protein. Occasionally I actually hit them all.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Links?

For me.... Sorry it was personal experience I was drawing from. I should have made sure that was clear.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Links?

For me.... Sorry it was personal experience I was drawing from. I should have made sure that was clear.

Interesting.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Links?

It might be a coincidence. One of those correlation does not equal causation situations.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Links?

For giggles, I did a google search "protein and DOMS" there are several studies on the subject. I did not read the conclusions only the abstracts on a couple. I think there "may" be something to it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Links?

For giggles, I did a google search "protein and DOMS" there are several studies on the subject. I did not read the conclusions only the abstracts on a couple. I think there "may" be something to it.

The thing is that "short" or "under" needs to be defined. What would be short for me, is probably still normal for most other people. Short for me might by 0.6gm's / LB instead of 1gm / LB. From some people their protein might be 1.4gm's / KG and only doing 1gm / KG would be short for them.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Links?

Is it ok I feel slightly vindicated by this post?

I always just thought that since protein was the used to build muscle it would make sense that it would help shorten DOMS. Again all speculation on personal experience. I have never really researched it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Links?

Since you just googled them can you post the links?
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Links?

The thing is that "short" or "under" needs to be defined. What would be short for me, is probably still normal for most other people. Short for me might by 0.6gm's / LB instead of 1gm / LB. From some people their protein might be 1.4gm's / KG and only doing 1gm / KG would be short for them.

I think "short or under" would have many variables including if you are maintaining bulking or cutting, and if you focus on more endurance based or strength based training.

Just my thoughts
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Links?

Scientist study everything.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Links?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20555370
    http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_Supplement/633.1
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    All natural canned tuna....70 calories and 16g protein in 2oz serving....keep cans at the ready.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited March 2015
    Options

Links?

The data appears to be good though the abstract doesn't state the actual significance, "p < ???", what was the significance. Also, the 2nd study appears to just focus on pre-workout protein but the bigger question is what does the entire day's protein consumption look like. It's a good answer for what to do pre-exercise but not the big picture.

In-general my suggestion would be that when in doubt, consume the protein you need even if it means the protein will put you over slightly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'd do the protein, especially on lifting day.

carbs trump protein for lifts.

That being said- eat a snickers pre-lift. - 250 calories and it gets you all reasonable blend of all the things- carbs- fats- proteins.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Simple question; its late in the day and you are short on protein but also short on calories. Do you get the protein and go over, or short your protein for the day?
    I'd get the protein. I have a reasonable protein goal. We're only talking 175-350 extra kcal, and I'd rather eat at maintenance a day than risk losing more lean muscle than I need to.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Links?

The data appears to be good though the abstract doesn't state the actual significance, "p < ???", what was the significance. Also, the 2nd study appears to just focus on pre-workout protein but the bigger question is what does the entire day's protein consumption look like. It's a good answer for what to do pre-exercise but not the big picture.

In-general my suggestion would be that when in doubt, consume the protein you need even if it means the protein will put you over slightly.

Yeah, this was just chasing a rabbit that had jumped into the thread. In the OP, it was just a simple "would you go over on your calories to get to your protein goal". I am sore all the time, not just DOMS. However, I am 49 and have never trained in my life, so I break new ground everyday. I spent about 47 years with no regard for health, fitness or weight, therefore I am learning new things all the time. This has been a good thread and I really appreciate every ones input.