Fruits are too sugary and bad for weight loss?

Options
I've read a lot of articles lately that say that fruits really aren't that great of a food to eat when trying to lose weight because despite the vitamins, they are filled with sugar and if you are trying to loose weight, you should keep your fruit consumption at a minimum.

This sucks cuz I loooove all fruits so much. But since reading those articles I've chosen to only eat fruits as meal replacers or snacks in between very spread apart meals.

What are your opinions and facts you know about fruits?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. Not sugars. Not carbs. Just calories.

If you have a medical or personal reason to watch your sugar intake, then you'll need to account for fruit sugars just like you account for added sugars.

Anything else is personal preference.

I lost 55 pounds while eating fruit as part of my diet. Your mileage may vary.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, eat fewer calories than you burn off. That's it.

For health reasons, people watch their sugar intake, or their salt intake, or their cholesterol intake.

If you have no health issues, then eat all the sugar you want. Within your calorie and macronutrient goals, of course.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories is bad for weight loss. If your fruit fits in your calories and you're getting your other essential nutrients then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No. CICO.
    Sugar doesn't make you gain weight. Too many calories does.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I aim to get two servings of fruit and veggies a day. Fruit is good for you, like anything else.... An excess can be a negative.
  • brittany_812
    brittany_812 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest benefits of going low carb (ie. avoiding fruits, breads, pasta, etc) is that your body takes longer to digest fats, meaning you feel full longer, and your cravings for sugar is reduced. Sugar is an addictive substance, and when you cut sugar (natural unprocessed sugars included) for a sufficient amount of time, your cravings stop. These two components combine to mean that without thinking about it you reduce your caloric intake. I've been on a strict low carb diet for over a month, and am easily at a 1000 calorie deficit almost every day, and when I go over it's more because I'm snacking or trying to meet my macro needs than because I feel hungry. A 1000 calorie deficit translates to 2lbs lost a week according to MFP, and is as low as they recommend you can safely go. Unfortunately it is difficult to get to this point without eliminating fruit at least for a little while (aside from berried which are low enough carb to work).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No. CICO.

This and this
    http://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/
    "What about health?

There are many cultures in tropical climates thriving on diets of up to 90% carbohydrates [8-10]. And we’re not talking oatmeal and broccoli here. These cultures rely on sugary fruits. In fact, honey is the favorite food of the Hadza from Tanzania [9].

Evolution has made sure our bodies can deal with sugar, because it is found in many of the world’s most nutritious foods: fruits. Fruit is in fact one of the foods humans have consumed for the longest period of our genetic existence. It has been a staple in our diet ever since we were still monkeys living in the jungle [5, 11]. And glucose is literally in our blood."
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat several types of fruit per day. I find it keeps me full. Like others have said just make sure you are within your calories.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fruits are fine.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar isn't bad for you. Too many calories stop weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest benefits of going low carb (ie. avoiding fruits, breads, pasta, etc) is that your body takes longer to digest fats, meaning you feel full longer, and your cravings for sugar is reduced. Sugar is an addictive substance, and when you cut sugar (natural unprocessed sugars included) for a sufficient amount of time, your cravings stop. These two components combine to mean that without thinking about it you reduce your caloric intake. I've been on a strict low carb diet for over a month, and am easily at a 1000 calorie deficit almost every day, and when I go over it's more because I'm snacking or trying to meet my macro needs than because I feel hungry. A 1000 calorie deficit translates to 2lbs lost a week according to MFP, and is as low as they recommend you can safely go. Unfortunately it is difficult to get to this point without eliminating fruit at least for a little while (aside from berried which are low enough carb to work).

sugar is not addictive….

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - calorie deficit = weight loss …not the amount of sugar you are consuming, unless of course your sugar consumption is putting you in caloric surplus...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Unless you have PCOS, diabetes, pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome or another metabolic issue which makes you especially sensitive to carbs. Many of us here DO have problems with carbs and sugar. Yes, under the right circumstances, the sugar in fruit CAN stall your weight loss or make you gain weight.

While I do consume fruit, I have found that I do better if I can limit myself to 1-2 servings a day. I try to make up for that by getting 8-9 servings of lower-carb vegetables (not corn, not potatoes) each day.

Another good strategy is picking fruits that are lower on the Glycemic Index. Cherries and berries are great, bananas not so much.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Unless you have PCOS, diabetes, pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome or another metabolic issue which makes you especially sensitive to carbs. Many of us here DO have problems with carbs and sugar. Yes, under the right circumstances, the sugar in fruit CAN stall your weight loss or make you gain weight.

While I do consume fruit, I have found that I do better if I can limit myself to 1-2 servings a day. I try to make up for that by getting 8-9 servings of lower-carb vegetables (not corn, not potatoes) each day.

Another good strategy is picking fruits that are lower on the Glycemic Index. Cherries and berries are great, bananas not so much.

Which is why I added my second line about medical reasons to track sugar, which you declined to quote.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Which is why I added my second line about medical reasons to track sugar, which you declined to quote.

Making an absolute statement and then contradicting yourself was...unclear.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Government food guides encourage the consumption of fruits and vegetables. They are full of fiber and micronutrients.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/choose-choix/fruit/index-eng.php
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Making an absolute statement and then contradicting yourself was...unclear.

No, she was clear and you cropped her statement to make it look like she neglected to mention medical conditions that have special considerations.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fine. It's healthy and yummy.

But, contrary to what some programs (e.g. Weight Watchers) would have you believe, fruit is not "free". It has calories. So you do have to limit how many calories you eat overall. Which means you can't eat unlimited quantities of fruit... or of anything else.

If it fits into your calorie goal? Sure, go for it. Vive la fruit.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No. CICO.

This
  • ndj1979
    Options

sorry I forgot my medical disclaimer….*rolls eyez*

and even if you have one of those conditions it is still comes down to CICO
This discussion has been closed.