Cutting carbs

Options
Ok so I've decided to play around with my macro. Before this I would just eat my daily allowance of calories but I'm at a stand still and want to try something different to see if it works for my body. I don't eat a lot of meat, just chicken and fish once in a while so it's hard for me to get in protein without the carbs. Right now I've decided on 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. Any suggestions on what to eat... Normally I've been eating around 100-120g carbs per day so this should be a challenge...

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You may want to repost your question in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group. Lots of people there eating low carb who can give you ideas on foods and menus.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    You may want to repost your question in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group. Lots of people there eating low carb who can give you ideas on foods and menus.

Asking this question here will bring out all sorts nasty responses. I strongly agree with Mistizoom and suggest you check out the Low Carber Forum.
  • KangFuJie
    Options
    I stepped down from approximately your daily goals to just less than 82 carbs per day. The two (2) keys were:

(1)searching my local food suppliers for less carb foods that were already part of my 120-130 goal as those food selections I had been eating were balanced and I was not starved or lacking the nutriments needed.

Step down examples: Pepperidge Farms Light Style bread--each slice 9 carbs; Half & Half (dairy) as it has less carbs and less fat than reduced fat milk; Spagetti squash in place of pasta; Coconut Oil rather than other oils; No carb salad dressings, etc.

(2) less portions and eating more frequently--up to five meals per day.

In my city we have free seminars at diabetic clinics where doctors, food scientists, and dieticians provide all sorts of free information. Their information is a good source of planned diets and foods. I'm not diabetic, but following some of the programs has lowered my weight by 50 pounds, decreased my waist by 4 inches, caused less dental issues with gum pockets, etc. due to sugar, and has given me more stamina, better sleep, and overall better general health.

You can do it!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no point in trying to reduce a macro nutrient group that low. If it is weight loss that you are worried about, just keep calibrating your calories down by 100 every 2 weeks (preferably through increased exercise) until you see consistent 1 lbs weight loss. Decreasing carb intake a little bit over normal consumption can be helpful to weight loss, but going super low carb is a great way to have low energy all the time and loose muscle mass. Carbs are muscle sparing. You some carbs in your diet, just make sure they are slow burning carbs (low glycemic index) A more reasonable macro split, like a 30/25/45 (f/c/p) is probably more sustainable over the long run.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have chronically elevated insulin, then low carbs is not necessary. It should be a tool used for diabetics or maybe body builders trying to get down to extremely low body fat for a competition. Neither of which use low carbs for an extended duration of time. It's simply not sustainable. But like others said, if you want to give it a try then there are groups for advice. I strongly suggest you have a backup plan in case you fall off the low carb wagon. The last thing you want is to think low carb is the only way, find out it's not sustainable, then binge eat back up to your original weight.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Honestly, no point in trying to reduce a macro nutrient group that low. If it is weight loss that you are worried about, just keep calibrating your calories down by 100 every 2 weeks (preferably through increased exercise) until you see consistent 1 lbs weight loss. Decreasing carb intake a little bit over normal consumption can be helpful to weight loss, but going super low carb is a great way to have low energy all the time and loose muscle mass. Carbs are muscle sparing. You some carbs in your diet, just make sure they are slow burning carbs (low glycemic index) A more reasonable macro split, like a 30/25/45 (f/c/p) is probably more sustainable over the long run.

She asking for suggestions on what to eat based on her desire to eat 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. She's not asking whether this is a good idea or not.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have chronically elevated insulin, then low carbs is not necessary. It should be a tool used for diabetics or maybe body builders trying to get down to extremely low body fat for a competition. Neither of which use low carbs for an extended duration of time. It's simply not sustainable. But like others said, if you want to give it a try then there are groups for advice. I strongly suggest you have a backup plan in case you fall off the low carb wagon. The last thing you want is to think low carb is the only way, find out it's not sustainable, then binge eat back up to your original weight.

She asking for suggestions on what to eat based on her desire to eat 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. She's not asking whether this is a good idea or not.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Considering she says she has a hard time eating protein since she only and rarely eats chicken or fish, I would think she would struggle with this.

I'm not saying she shouldn't cut carbs. A guy above had a decent suggestion in which she makes minor adjustments to her current eating. Trying to dramatically change how you eat is tough and rarely successful long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kgutz90 wrote: »
    Ok so I've decided to play around with my macro. Before this I would just eat my daily allowance of calories but I'm at a stand still and want to try something different to see if it works for my body. I don't eat a lot of meat, just chicken and fish once in a while so it's hard for me to get in protein without the carbs. Right now I've decided on 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. Any suggestions on what to eat... Normally I've been eating around 100-120g carbs per day so this should be a challenge...

I'm seeing this (bolded) as a conflict...

If you're going to do this, you're going to have to start eating way more meat, poultry, and fish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Considering she says she has a hard time eating protein since she only and rarely eats chicken or fish, I would think she would struggle with this.

I'm not saying she shouldn't cut carbs. A guy above had a decent suggestion in which she makes minor adjustments to her current eating. Trying to dramatically change how you eat is tough and rarely successful long term.

that would have/is my advice- dropping so low seems a little extreme.

15% is low low.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kgutz90 wrote: »

I'm seeing this (bolded) as a conflict...

If you're going to do this, you're going to have to start eating way more meat, poultry, and fish.
    My first thought as well.

If you already have a hard time getting protein in, then why would you increase your intake to 55%. That is a lot.

How long have you been at a stand still?
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Actually if we are all going to give advice to the OP that she didn't ask for, I would suggest that the 55% protein is the extreme macro. If she asked, I personally would encourage her to eat 15% carbs, 55% fat and 30% protein (reverse protein and fat). To me, that is much more sustainable than excess protein when she doesn't love meat.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would suggest switching your fat and protein macros if you are trying to go low carb, especially if you don't eat a lot of meat. You only need adequate protein, not high protein, and the fat is what keeps the hunger and cravings away. And I agree about coming to the low carb group. There are a lot of people with a lot of experience who completely disprove the "not sustainable" theory.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you done any searches for "Low carb, non meat protein sources"? I found this when I did:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/tp/Low-Carb-Vegetarian-Protein-Foods.htm

I eat low carb, and have for the past several months. There are specific forums for low carb eating which can help you learn a lot. Unfortunately the main forums, even this "Food and Nutrition" one, is not at all open to discussing this woe. You will get the people telling you how asking about a low carb diet is like asking for how to commit suicide... Now that's an extreme to me, but what do I know? Oh, wait, I know that FOR ME low carb is enjoyable and works.

Good luck on your journey!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think at some point, any weight loss plan needs tweaking, and OP, you're right to tweak your macros until you find what works for YOU. I might suggest finding a group (as suggested previously) geared specifically towards low carb: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Do your research, find a group of people who have some experience and success with the method you want to try, and take it from there.

Good luck!
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been eating less than 20g of carbs for a week now, I have way more energy, Im not hungry, and Ive lost 5 lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    Have you done any searches for "Low carb, non meat protein sources"? I found this when I did:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/tp/Low-Carb-Vegetarian-Protein-Foods.htm

I eat low carb, and have for the past several months. There are specific forums for low carb eating which can help you learn a lot. Unfortunately the main forums, even this "Food and Nutrition" one, is not at all open to discussing this woe. You will get the people telling you how asking about a low carb diet is like asking for how to commit suicide... Now that's an extreme to me, but what do I know? Oh, wait, I know that FOR ME low carb is enjoyable and works.

Good luck on your journey!

And you think OP is going to be able to hit 55% protein with that stuff? I use all that stuff to help me hit my protein goals along with a lot of meat, poultry, and fish...and my protein intake is still only usually around 30%.

I mean, I agree that I would swap out the protein for higher fat if I were to do this...if one doesn't like meat, I think a 55% protein goal is pretty lofty, don't you?
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LunaKate wrote: »
    I have been eating less than 20g of carbs for a week now, I have way more energy, Im not hungry, and Ive lost 5 lbs.

Placebo effects are awesome.

+1 for non sequitur of the decade.