Cutting carbs

Options
124»

Replies

• HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    OP, there's no need to go to extremes like drastically reducing carbs. We need every food group in moderate amounts, and drastic cutting like this can be terrible for your health. I think it's healthier and more pleasant to enjoy a full variety of foods (unless there's a good reason to monitor carbs, of course)

No, we don't need to consume carbs. Please name the disease state that will befall you if you exclude carbohydrates from your diet. Wait...I'll save you the trouble from looking - there isn't one.

No problem!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/negative-results-eating-carbs-4182.html
    http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e4026
    http://islet.org/forum026/messages/23446.htm

I'm not really convinced by these citations - from your links I could accept that low carb + high protein sounds like it may not be the best long term eating plan but they don't appear to show any risks associated with low carb + high fat.

The first one is a review article/opinion piece and is referring to potential implications rather than actual results. It is also from 2003 - are there any more long term results available now?

The second article appears to be an internet article - it also appears to be talking about the short term risks/effects of a low carb (or even no-carb) diet. I would probably agree that the short term effects of a low carb diet can be quite unpleasant until the body adapts (although there are certain things you can do to minimise that).

The BMJ article is talking about low carb and high protein rather than low carb+high fat which is what most low carb dieters attempt to follow. All the books I have read advise against following a low carb + high protein diet (excpet maybe in some very specific circumstances).

The final link is some correspondence/forum post from 2002 - again it refers to low carb and high protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    for heavens sake people…low carb is just a tool to get into a calorie deficit. It is not some magical diet that will magically make you lose weight faster; on the flip side, it is not going to lead to you being "disease ridden" or something…..wow …

me personally I like carbs and if I eat low carb my gym performance would go in the tank; however, if it works for some then knock yourself out.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    OP, there's no need to go to extremes like drastically reducing carbs. We need every food group in moderate amounts, and drastic cutting like this can be terrible for your health. I think it's healthier and more pleasant to enjoy a full variety of foods (unless there's a good reason to monitor carbs, of course)

No, we don't need to consume carbs. Please name the disease state that will befall you if you exclude carbohydrates from your diet. Wait...I'll save you the trouble from looking - there isn't one.

Boredom. You could die of boredom.

Boom! Agree. I don't see it as something worth sticking with, that's for sure. I'm sure different people will have different opinions on whether or not cutting carbs is healthy or not. I believe (obviously), that unless there is a good reason, it's a stupid thing to do for your health.

Don't like my links? Fine. That's your right to disagree. But for the average person, I believe it's healthier to have at least a moderate amount of carbs in your diet, be it from vegetables and/or grains.

Personally, I love carbs, I eat as much of them as I like, and as a result, also don't feel deprived or as if I'm on a strict diet (because I'm not)
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    for heavens sake people…low carb is just a tool to get into a calorie deficit. It is not some magical diet that will magically make you lose weight faster; on the flip side, it is not going to lead to you being "disease ridden" or something…..wow …

me personally I like carbs and if I eat low carb my gym performance would go in the tank; however, if it works for some then knock yourself out.

giphy.gif

Did someone say "magical"?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

Boom! Agree. I don't see it as something worth sticking with, that's for sure. I'm sure different people will have different opinions on whether or not cutting carbs is healthy or not. I believe (obviously), that unless there is a good reason, it's a stupid thing to do for your health.

Don't like my links? Fine. That's your right to disagree. But for the average person, I believe it's healthier to have at least a moderate amount of carbs in your diet, be it from vegetables and/or grains.

Personally, I love carbs, I eat as much of them as I like, and as a result, also don't feel deprived or as if I'm on a strict diet (because I'm not)

Well, the thing is... While the laws of biology don't vary, people's preferences do. It's all about finding something sustainable lifelong. For you. Which you seem to have done. Kudos.

Personally, I rarely get bored. And on the off chance I do, there are about a million (possible exaggeration) low-carb recipes sites that have combinations I've never tried so I find something. I genuinely enjoy all my meals. I look forward to them just like anyone else. Not bored at all. By food anyway.

As far as it being "stupid" to do to your health, I'm the healthiest I've ever been. You could probably argue that is due to the weightloss itself and achieving a healthy weight, and you would be mostly correct. Without using low-carbing to enforce and relearn portion-control and apply a calorie deficit, however, I wouldn't have lost the weight. I spent years and years trying many plans and couldn't sustain any of them. This one I can sustain. The only thing I find annoying is freezing to death all the time now that I have no extra insulation. And again, that's more a fault of the weightloss in general and not the diet in particular. But spring is coming. :smile:

I think keto/LCHF is the greatest eating plan in the world. Does that mean it will/must be for everyone else? No. I've said this a million times (certainly an exaggeration) that I don't care how people eat. As ndj1979 said above, low-carbing is a tool. A tool that works is a good tool, is it not? Find a healthy plan you like; work the h*ll out of it; make it your lifestyle; become sexypants (as they say here in MFP land.) The end.

I found a recipe for bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers last night. Jalapenos, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon... WANT.

Anyone tried those? Sounds like heaven.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Well, the thing is... While the laws of biology don't vary, people's preferences do. It's all about finding something sustainable lifelong. For you. Which you seem to have done. Kudos.

Personally, I rarely get bored. And on the off chance I do, there are about a million (possible exaggeration) low-carb recipes sites that have combinations I've never tried so I find something. I genuinely enjoy all my meals. I look forward to them just like anyone else. Not bored at all. By food anyway.

As far as it being "stupid" to do to your health, I'm the healthiest I've ever been. You could probably argue that is due to the weightloss itself and achieving a healthy weight, and you would be mostly correct. Without using low-carbing to enforce and relearn portion-control and apply a calorie deficit, however, I wouldn't have lost the weight. I spent years and years trying many plans and couldn't sustain any of them. This one I can sustain. The only thing I find annoying is freezing to death all the time now that I have no extra insulation. And again, that's more a fault of the weightloss in general and not the diet in particular. But spring is coming. :smile:

I think keto/LCHF is the greatest eating plan in the world. Does that mean it will/must be for everyone else? No. I've said this a million times (certainly an exaggeration) that I don't care how people eat. As ndj1979 said above, low-carbing is a tool. A tool that works is a good tool, is it not? Find a healthy plan you like; work the h*ll out of it; make it your lifestyle; become sexypants (as they say here in MFP land.) The end.

I found a recipe for bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers last night. Jalapenos, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon... WANT.

Was going to try these, sounds similar?
    http://www.ruled.me/jalapeno-popper-fat-bombs/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Did someone say "magical"?

I should be whipping up a demo slide of our new programming for a presentation- but I kind of can't stop looking at this.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

My co-worker does low carb and often brings them in for our potlucks (someone has to balance out my pumpkin bread stuffing). They're really good!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Was going to try these, sounds similar?
    http://www.ruled.me/jalapeno-popper-fat-bombs/

Pretty much.

35347ba9b63f89c2f0dd6ede5a4ab7b8.jpg

VS.

jalapenopopperfatbombssecond.jpg

Looks good to me either way.
    NOM!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

No problem!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/negative-results-eating-carbs-4182.html
    http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e4026
    http://islet.org/forum026/messages/23446.htm

I did not say potential health problems (and as a previous poster said the links you posted are dubious).

Dietary protein insufficiency = kwashiorkor
    Several specific amino acids are also essential as our body cannot make them from other substrates (phenylalanine, valine, threonine, tryptophan, methionine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine, and histidine)

Essential fatty acids: linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid, our body cannot make these yet they are required for cellular functions and to be used as substrates.

There are no carbohydrates that are essential to consume from dietary sources, as human beings have all the enzymes required to make any carbohydrate needed for the body to function.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

And we have a winner!

There are just so many yummy foods out there with carbs that I just don't see the point in unnecessarily restricting your dietary choices. What you need to restrict is the total amount. IMO, low carb is not many steps removed from other fad diets that steer you towards one small type of food, e.g. The Raw Diet, Nutrisystem, Macrobiotics, etc. They all work if you follow them. The question is: Why would you want to? and Are you really going to eat this way for the rest of your life? Sure, it can be done. There are Buddhist monks who don't say a word for 5 years a time. Humans can set their will on a goal and follow it doggedly, but again, why would you want to live that way?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more. That's why I never tell people not to do low carb. I do tell them that they don't need to do low carb if they seem to be struggling with missing the carbs, and I often tell them that it's inadvisable to do low carb and lower fat (and even that they need to get comfortable with higher fat to properly do low carb, and recommend they talk to the low carbers here).

I also often tell people who are struggling with crazy high protein goals that that's not necessary.

Here, this is in part what's going on. People aren't telling a successful low carber not to low carb, but are suggesting that going to 55% protein (in an effort to lower carbs) for someone who isn't that into meat and struggles to meet her current protein goals is a strategy that seems less than thought-out. I'd also suspect that someone who prefers non-meat sources of protein might have trouble lowering carbs to 15%, but that's a separate issue, which is why I recommended an incremental approach based on adjusting current serving sizes, etc.

I'll note that it's not only the "don't do low carb" people who questioned the OP's proposed macros--the low carb people seem to have felt that her 15% carbs should be encouraged, but that she should be warned off 55% protein (or that it should just be assumed she was doing LC/HF despite what she said). I personally agree with the advice to increase fat if you lower carbs, as noted above, but there's a certain irony when people demanding that her macro choices not be questioned seem to be questioning them.

Seems sensible to me.