He's Proposing Soon- Guys advice?

Options
agratzy
agratzy Posts: 114 Member
edited March 2015 in Chit-Chat
Hello all!

So my boyfriend has told me he plans on proposing soon. "Soon" being a relative term. It's not something I've been pushing him to do or anything- he just said it's just getting to be the right time : ) And I completely agree. We're both at a great spot in our careers and love each other's family, etc. However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how much planning he's had to put into it! Yesterday he told me, "well this has been months in the works..."
- Months?? Guys! How much planning did you put into your proposals? Was it big or small? What are some things I can be aware of/ do to make it easier for him to plan this giant thing by himself?
- Ladies! Did your SO's involve you? Were you surprised? If he picked the ring on his own, did he do a good job? Were you able to stay patient after you knew it was coming soon?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pft, my fiancé just carried the ring around until it was the right moment - I pretty much planned the date myself hahah. We also ring shopped together and I gave him 3 to choose from. I think there was some effort put in, but not months! (Don't get me wrong here though, it was perfect :D)

Then there was my cousin, who planned a trip to Greece which included a hot air balloon ride and he proposed there. That was probably months.

Depends on the guy as well as how efficient they are at planning stuff. My fiancé can't even get the addresses for his wedding guest to me even though I've extended the deadline twice... and he's only collecting some of them and letting his family do the rest (and they did and they're done well before him) hahaha.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I decided it was time to propose. Emptied my savings account at 19 years old (it was nothing impressive at the time), talked to her dad, and proposed within a month's time. It would have been sooner but I set up the proposal to be shone on the big screen at Turner Field during an Atlanta Braves game. Luckily she said yes :). I also had a build-a-bear made with my voice proposing as a backup in case they didn't show the message at the game.
    All that to say, it took a month but saving had already been done.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I planned it all in a matter of two days. Didn't take me long but she also knew it was coming. It wasn't a huge proposal. I laid out one of her nicest dresses and put rose petals leading her to it with a note that said be ready in 30 minutes. I had a towncar pick her up and bring her to beautiful lookout over the mountains where I was on one knee waiting for her. My advice is to let him do the planning, you go along for the ride. You will have plenty of planning to do for the wedding. Congratulations (in advance).
  • BlueEyedRedhead
    BlueEyedRedhead Posts: 5,169 Member
    Options
    "Back in my day" (sounding old) the proposal was a personal moment between the two people. He got down on one knee, asked me to be his bride, and I said yes. Perfection.
  • LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    No i wasnt involved or even aware. He asked me what i would say if he proposed (we had been dating 3 months at the time and i was 17). I was like "fool! No way! Im jn highscool and we just started dating!" 2 months later he propsed with a gorgeous ring and we're going in 13 yrs together this june and 9 yrs married this july! Im glad he picked out the engagement ring... Its his taste on my finger which to me what could be better then wearing something the one you love picked out all on his own just for you?!
  • agratzy
    Options
    Im glad he picked out the engagement ring... Its his taste on my finger which to me what could be better then wearing something the one you love picked out all on his own just for you?!

this!!! I've been engaged before (thankfully it didn't work out) and picked out my own ring. This time my boyfriend says that's not happening! And I am nervous but very excited and that is a great way to look at it! Thanks!!
  • LiquidSparkle86
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    Im glad he picked out the engagement ring... Its his taste on my finger which to me what could be better then wearing something the one you love picked out all on his own just for you?!

this!!! I've been engaged before (thankfully it didn't work out) and picked out my own ring. This time my boyfriend says that's not happening! And I am nervous but very excited and that is a great way to look at it! Thanks!!

Congrats by the way and good luck! ;0) i never even had an idea of cut or style at that age so i was really happy with anything. And i still love it today because again his something he picked all on his own.
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you! So the 1st time I was engaged- he took me to a park with zillions of ducks and where there's ducks there's duck dung! Soo his knee was covered in it...and my high heals. Then some guys drove by at same time and yelled "do her!" out the window. So not because of the proposal lol...but we later broke up and never married. This time, my sweetie had t-shirts made up with half a heart on each. Mine said 'yes' and his said 'will you marry me'...he wrapped mine and asked me to open it and then ripped his hoodie off to reveal his...lol, wee bit corny maybe but it was fun.
  • 1Hunie
    1Hunie Posts: 176
    Options
    Wow, he gave you a warning?
    I've been engaged twice (ringless now) and both times were shocking
  • 1Hunie
    1Hunie Posts: 176
    Options
    Congrats :D
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I asked my wife to marry me on our second date. I didn't have a ring. We were at a Mountain Lodge with my Cousin and his new bride. It was their honeymoon. I walked my wife to my Eurovan, popped the top, got down on one knee and proposed. She said Yes. I opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Champagne and poured us each a glass. We married 18 months later. We are currently planning a trip to Hawaii in 2017 to renew our vows for our 25th Anniversary. My life to a considerable turn for the better on the day I met her. I was a Massage Therapist at the time and she was referred to me for a back injury.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I went to see my jeweler and said, "Harry, I'm thinking about getting married." He asked, "do you want me to sell you a ring or talk you out of it?" :smile: Anyhow, she had no idea. I took her out for a nice dinner, after we ate I got down on one knee, presented her the ring, and asked. She said yes. We had a big biker wedding, pig roast, and party. The rest is history.

Oh ya, you asked for advice. If you want to, say yes. If you don't, say no. :smile:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've proposed twice. The first time we went ring shopping together, so "planning" was just about nil. The second time I probably spent 2-3 months learning about and finding the perfect diamond with amazing specs and shine on a limited budget--only the best. :)
  • LiquidSparkle86
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I asked my wife to marry me on our second date. I didn't have a ring. We were at a Mountain Lodge with my Cousin and his new bride. It was their honeymoon. I walked my wife to my Eurovan, popped the top, got down on one knee and proposed. She said Yes. I opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Champagne and poured us each a glass. We married 18 months later. We are currently planning a trip to Hawaii in 2017 to renew our vows for our 25th Anniversary. My life to a considerable turn for the better on the day I met her. I was a Massage Therapist at the time and she was referred to me for a back injury.

Love this! Congrats on the 25 yrs!!!!
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I still go out to dinner with my ex a couple times a year. We have this moment where I ask her, in too loud a voice, if she would marry me, she yells back "hell no" and we laugh. Creates an awkward moment for everyone around us, but have a great laugh.
  • agratzy
    Options
    I still go out to dinner with my ex a couple times a year. We have this moment where I ask her, in too loud a voice, if she would marry me, she yells back "hell no" and we laugh. Creates an awkward moment for everyone around us, but have a great laugh.

this is like the best thing I've ever read.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I had a ring in my possession for months. Actually my mother came over to clean my ex-termly cluttered apartment and found it, and was like WTF. Lets go though the steps.

1) figure out you want to get married
    2) determine what you can afford then save up for it
    3) figure out some way to measure your finger size by being subtle
    4) get drunk thinking about the implications for the rest of your time on earth
    5) let your parents know whats up
    6) ask her father for permission to marry her and try not to sweat balls the entire time
    7) figure out the perfect way to propose
    8) get drunk again thinking about it
    9) actually do it.

yeah, few months sounds reasonable to me
  • davesgalforever
    davesgalforever Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My huband and I went to a comedy club for our first date. 4 years and 2 kids later we had a date to go to the comedy club again. I had no idea he was going to propose until he got up on the stage and proposed in front the packed club. I said yes of course! And he picked the perfect ring which I need to have sized because it's too big now. Anyway congrats and good luck to both of you :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I ring shopped with my husband only because he asked me to and had no idea where to start lol. He bought the ring on his own a few months later and proposed one day on the beach while we were having a picnic =)
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    My guy and I had a few casual discussions about marriage. He would be like, "What if we got married?" and I would say something like, "That wouldn't be so terrible." haha The proposal wasn't a big grand gesture or a big planned surprise, but I think it's a good story and totally us. Make me laugh every time I think about it.

We were only dating like 6 months. We knew each other from high school, we had 1 class together freshman year, we were sat next to each other, we weren't in the same circle of friends, but we would always manage to run into each other even after HS and even after I moved 3,000 miles away from our hometown. How we even started dating is a whole other story, anyway, cut to 6 months of dating, he's mentioned marriage a few times and I would joke about him "putting a ring on it" - he once sent me a plastic dress-up ring, well, he ends up getting orders he is deploying to Iraq, I put all my stuff in storage, quit my job, cut my lease to my apartment in downtown San Francisco and moved to Florida to be with him until he leaves. One day we are with his older sister and she asks us if we are going to get married - Max and I just stared at eachother and "uuuuhhh, ummm, maybe...".

One day he went to the PX to pick up his Class A's and he sent me a picture of a ring he saw in the counter and asked if I liked it. I said it was pretty. When he got home I was on the computer and sitting in a rolly-chair, he put his Class A's on the bed across the room and started putting his ribbons on it, so I rolled the chair around and continued my work. A few minutes later he said, "Do you like it?" I turned swiveled the chair around and he was on his knee with a ring box. I wasn't expecting it, I thought he was going to show me the ribbons on his jacket. I got up and walked over to him, he was still across the room. I stood there and said, "I think you are supposed to ask me another question." He then said, "Can I get up? My knee hurts." I laughed and said, "Yes!"
    We will be married 6 years in April.