He's Proposing Soon- Guys advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 months to find the right diamond and then custom design plus have the ring made. Most of the time was spent researching how diamonds are graded, then searching around local shops for a trust worthy dealer. I did all of that in secrecy because I wanted it to be a surprise. We had been dating for a little over two years and I knew she was ready.

Once I got the ring, it was burning a hole in my pocket! I gave it to her within 3 days of getting it.
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband picked the ring all on his own and did an amazing job! I't simple, classic, and beyond gorgeous. It's nothing I had ever thought about when looking through magazines and watching movies (as we all do), but the minute he gives it to you it's absolutely perfect. It could be twine with a pebble tied in and you'll love it, it's just a bonus when it's shiny.

Our proposal was a little nontraditional when it comes to timing. We had started planning our wedding before the proposal since he was stationed overseas and we didn't know when we would see each other before his station change this past fall. We knew within 2 weeks of knowing each other that we were soul mates, and had always planned our life together. When he switched duty stations and I was done with college I was going where ever he was. My senior year of college he surprised me with a trip to Okinawa to see him during my spring break. On the first day I was there he put together a picnic and proposed on the beach outside of Camp Schwab. I knew it was coming during the trip, and we had already set a wedding date, but he didn't want me to not have the proposal. He even called to ask for my parents permission over Skype, which meant a lot to me. It was perfect and we got to spend a whole week together before I had to leave.

Congratulations! Enjoy every minute of it!
  • PMA150
    PMA150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't thrive on spontaneity, I plan everything. I picked out the ring I wanted, he went back and got it later. The actual date of the proposal was a surprise. Looking back it would have been awesome for him to pick out the ring and the whole thing be a surprise to me. That's what I get for being a control freak :neutral_face:
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was never more surprised than when he proposed. I had no idea. We had talked about marriage, but it was nothing i expected to happen anytime soon (even though we had been dating for 3 years). He picked the ring himself (with some help from family) and kept it very simple. He got down on one knee at the train station where we met.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    These stories are so great! And every single one, unique. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences! They're making my eyes water/ cracking me up haha.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    These stories are so great! And every single one, unique. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences! They're making my eyes water/ cracking me up haha.

They are some pretty great stories! I have never been proposed to but when it eventually happens I want no part in it. I don't want to pick out the ring (I've never even gone into a jeweler or browsed through a magazine). I don't want to know when it's going to happen. I don't want to know where it's going to happen. I don't want to know how it's going to happen. I'm not going to pressure my boyfriend into it either, when/if he's ready I'm sure I'll be ready.

Congrats on the soon-to-be engagement!
  • agratzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KMasz wrote: »

They are some pretty great stories! I have never been proposed to but when it eventually happens I want no part in it. I don't want to pick out the ring (I've never even gone into a jeweler or browsed through a magazine). I don't want to know when it's going to happen. I don't want to know where it's going to happen. I don't want to know how it's going to happen. I'm not going to pressure my boyfriend into it either, when/if he's ready I'm sure I'll be ready.

Congrats on the soon-to-be engagement!

Thanks!
    The first time around I was pretty pushy, I demanded a big ring, and I basically planned the whole thing. No wonder it didn't work! It was a rough relationship for sure-- just very immature. You have the right attitude! It's so much more fun not knowing everything :smiley:
  • agratzy
    Options
    Are you really going to marry at 22 years old?

Well I'm assuming it will be closer to 23 when I do, and he will be 26, so yes I consider that an appropriate age. Obviously everyone is a little different!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    My son just showed me the ring he bought his gf today. He plans on proposing the end of this month (their dating anniversary). They have been dating for 4 years. They are going to a really nice winery for dinner but, he needs a good plan. Open for suggestions.
  • agratzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Get a personalized label that has the date on it? Or that says, "Will you marry me?" That'd be such a cool keepsake!!
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Why do I have this sudden desire to go to YouTube and search "Proposal Fail"?
  • agratzy
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    My son just showed me the ring he bought his gf today. He plans on proposing the end of this month (their dating anniversary). They have been dating for 4 years. They are going to a really nice winery for dinner but, he needs a good plan. Open for suggestions.

Get a personalized label that has the date on it? Or that says, "Will you marry me?" That'd be such a cool keepsake!!
  • 0600bob
    0600bob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in why he keeps bringing it up. There's only a couple reasons, one being he's not 100% sure you're gonna say yes. So? Is it gonna be a yes?
  • agratzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    0600bob wrote: »
    I'm more interested in why he keeps bringing it up. There's only a couple reasons, one being he's not 100% sure you're gonna say yes. So? Is it gonna be a yes?

Baha- It is a resounding yes! And he is well aware of that :blush: I think he's just antsy!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Are you really going to marry at 22 years old?

Well I'm assuming it will be closer to 23 when I do, and he will be 26, so yes I consider that an appropriate age. Obviously everyone is a little different!

I was 22 when I got married. Husband was also 22. We are 28 now and closing on a house March 20. :) A number isn't everything.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I was just commenting on something similar yesterday. This past weekend, I watched that video of the guy who holds up a whiteboard that says "will you marry me?" for a second or two for a video camera. he did this without his girlfriend's knowledge every single day for a year. that is not how I am. i could not imagine waiting that long.

when i decided i wanted to propose, I picked out the ring bought it and had it sized. It took a week to get it sized, and i proposed the day i picked it up. I was too excited and did not have the patience or thought of something huge. I picked up a rose and put it on our door, and when she got home from work that day, i proposed.