why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options
1424344454648»

Replies

• rxxxxxx
    rxxxxxx Posts: 1
    Options
    Canadian Beaver, that was a pretty good reply and summary of LoCarb. It helps suppress your appetite through controlling your sugar, making you eat less. I just wanted to ask a couple of ??:

What do you mean by Keto-adapted? I know about ketosis but keto-adapted?

I think your keeping track of calories now you're near your goal is a good idea but how do you manage 20G of carbs? That's my main problem with the Atkins style LoCarb, it places a lot of restrictions on what you can eat and that's going to be hard to maintain...
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Keto adapted means you are in ketosis without the negative side effects that a ketogenic diet commonly induces when the diet is started. These can vary between stomach cramps, headaches, weakness or soreness. It is the effect when the body feels it is being deprived of energy, which is partly the case. It is still expecting carbs, and it is not getting them. It then looks for another energy source. Fat is next in line, so there are adverse effects until it figures out how to switch and convert fat into usable energy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Yes, for medical reasons. Apologies for having a real life and not waiting for someone to post again just so I can respond. My whole point about sample size isn't about a few groups on MFP, or a few message boards. It's about 15 years of working with support groups through hospitals, as well as online groups, far beyond the scope of only fitness or only MFP. Honestly, MFP is a pretty small pond in the grand scheme of things.

I'm comparing that to someone insisting everyone they know is low carb because "they read it in a fitness magazine." The population of people with assorted epidemic level metabolic and health issues, vs the population that reads fitness magazines. I'm still going to go with having the larger sample size.

I noticed in all the complaining that I dared leave my computer, nobody answered those questions - in their "everyone I know" group, how many were people over 30 with health issues to begin with vs how many were not?

I'm 40...pretty much everyone I know and associate with are between the ages of 35 and 45...and yes...you do seem totally oblivious to how mainstream this all is...it's EVERYWHERE...people don't necessarily have to read fitness magazine...hell, they can just pick up Time...or look at some random advert at the supermarket promoting X because it's "low carb"....c'mon...are you really this oblivious or are you just *kitten* around? How many people just randomly pick up Adkins and go with it...no medical supervision, no condition, etc? C'mon..you really can't be this oblivious.

And yeah...pretty much everyone I know is relatively healthy. My dad was the only one with issues...metabolic syndrome and type II...he still ate carbs and was never instructed to do keto or go super low carb or anything...his dietician just taught him how to eat better and manage things.

I also said I couldn't take it seriously because there seems to be as many definitions of low carb as there are "clean eating"...it's all very silly.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Being keto adapted means your body is now efficiently running of your fat stores for energy versus carbs. Pretty much what RockstarWilson said. You drop your water weight the first week (I lost 6 pounds I think) and then your body switches over to fat burning soon after.
    I eat around 20 net carbs (carbs minus fiber) a day. I make a lot of casseroles which help with keto macros.
    One of my favourite breakfasts is:
    2 eggs cooked in bacon grease, 1T of hollandaise, and 50 grams of avocado. This works out to be about 330 calories, 28g fat, 14g protein, and 3 net carbs (6 carbs minus 3 fiber). This keeps me full for around 4-5 hours at which time I'll have a light snack until I eat my second meal at dinner.
    You should be drinking a lot of water while eating LCHF. I aim for 96oz a day. I also supplement to make sure I get a total of 3500mg potassium, 3000mg sodium, and 400mg of magnesium a day as my electrolytes get flushed out.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The only way carbs are evil is that it's VERY hard for me to not gorge on them. Because they are too delicious.
  • watermilla
    watermilla Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started a low-carb diet due to a medical condition and it gave excellent results on weight loss. But the thing is, most of the days I could not reach the targeted 2000 kcal without carbs. Maybe that is the reason why we lose weight that easily once we exclude them. I haven't been working out so I don't know how it effects strength and endurance but I haven't had any side effects like feeling tired or what so ever. I am still on this diet because I feel my brain is more clear and I have more discipline. I occasionally take carbs, and I intend to go for moderate (good) carbs, proteins and fats soon as I think that is the best way to fulfil all the needs of the body. Plus, back to the gym, as of Monday :).
    As for CICO, I don't think it applies since it is not the same whether you take 100 kcal from chocolate, cabbage or meat as they trigger different hormones and processes in the body. Smart people wrote a lot about it so I can only recommend an article found here: https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    watermilla wrote: »
    I started a low-carb diet due to a medical condition and it gave excellent results on weight loss. But the thing is, most of the days I could not reach the targeted 2000 kcal without carbs. Maybe that is the reason why we lose weight that easily once we exclude them. I haven't been working out so I don't know how it effects strength and endurance but I haven't had any side effects like feeling tired or what so ever. I am still on this diet because I feel my brain is more clear and I have more discipline. I occasionally take carbs, and I intend to go for moderate (good) carbs, proteins and fats soon as I think that is the best way to fulfil all the needs of the body. Plus, back to the gym, as of Monday :).
    As for CICO, I don't think it applies since it is not the same whether you take 100 kcal from chocolate, cabbage or meat as they trigger different hormones and processes in the body. Smart people wrote a lot about it so I can only recommend an article found here: https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Your first three sentences are spot on. That is precisely why it works.

The last two sentences kind of go off the rails. 200 calories of one food may make me feel different than 200 calories of another but so long as I limit myself to those calories, the affect on my weight is the same.
    Once I allow 200 calories to become 400, the reason I don't have the same results is not because of hormones. It's because I ate more.

P.S. That website isn't the greatest source of reliable information.