why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am going to throw this one out there, because I got into a debate with someone in another thread and it left me pretty mind blown. The persons basic assumptions where the following:

1. they were not calorie restricting (however they were losing weight)
2. if they ate 1200 calories of a regular diet of say 30% carbs they did not lose, but when they ate a 1200 calories "low carb" diet they lost weight.
3. throughout the course of the thread others came in and made the argument that CICO did not apply when was going low carb.

Before all my low carb friends come flying in here to say that I am knocking low carb, let me be clear that is not what I am doing. The way that I see it is that low carb, IIFYM, keto, IF, etc are just tools to get one into a calorie deficit, and one is not superior to the other. I just get mind blown when people say "I calorie restricted and lost nothing, but when I went low carb I lost" or "fat loss only happens when one is low carb" or "CICO does not apply to me and only low carb works for me" and on and on….

I actually tried low carb and it was not for me. My energy in the gym was non-existent and i would end up binging on whatever carbs I had in the house.

It would be nice if some low carbers came in here and acutely refuted this…

OR

if you really believe that CICO does not apply, then I would be curious as to why you think this…

ETA - I am not referring to people that have to low carb due to a medical condition. However, CICO would still apply in that instance….

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwTDWBdy4F6b3Xij3gKyb5WKyuXnUFU55SDdAJ2Cc9HGcAqrVEQ
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwTDWBdy4F6b3Xij3gKyb5WKyuXnUFU55SDdAJ2Cc9HGcAqrVEQ

Haha this should be fun
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Let's see how long this lasts
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    23lbns.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in tearing down some serious carbs. My muscles love them.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in tearing down some serious carbs. My muscles love them.

i will second that….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Let's see how long this lasts

come on ..it is a serious question …!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    im a carb lover. i went well over 200g today, and most days.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    In B4.........well just in
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    *taps fingers impatiently*

I'm already running out of popcorn here!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    *taps fingers impatiently*

I'm already running out of popcorn here!

oh you guys….
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Low carb still requires calorie counting. /thread
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in the replies to this, as I have the same questions.
    The replies are usually riddles that dance around the subject, but never actually state a simple yes or no answer.
    I hope the smart *kitten* don't come in and derail this thread :confounded:
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    9tdgghubcfe1.jpg

Some of my best work outs are cookie-fueled...but yeah, in because your question intrigues me also
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you low carb? Just curious….
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in the replies to this, as I have the same questions.
    The replies are usually riddles that dance around the subject, but never actually state a simple yes or no answer.
    I hope the smart *kitten* don't come in and derail this thread :confounded:

smart_donkey.gif

Too late
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love carbs. But when I was younger and more willing to spend stupid amounts of money on unneccesary weight loss things, I signed up to a place called 'Healthy Inspirations', basically a Curves type gym that also gave you a Weight Watchers type meal plan. Their week one was a "healthy kickstart" where for 7 days straight where you can eat unlimited amounts of:

Meat - any type including bacon, seafood, eggs etc.
    Veges - anything but the starchy ones
    Dairy - Cheese, cream, butter but not milk
    Nuts and olives

Knowing nothing of calories, I was easily packing away a couple hundred grams of cheese and the same in nuts a day for 7 days along with a crapload of bacon, steak, eggs etc all cooked in butter, and lost 5kg.

I know nothing of the science, and I wasn't tracking any calories but I've often thought about that, since I know so much more now and wonder how the hell I didn't GAIN 5kg that week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Heres an example. Way back when, I was a member of an egg fast-stall breaker diet page. For 1-2 weeks these people ate nothing but eggs and fat (butter, mayo, coconut oil). The rule was 1 TBS fat per egg. The general amount of eggs consumed were 10-12 per day with the added fat alongside.
    The calories were huge and yet the majority lost weigh like crazy!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

do you low carb? Just curious….

I did for about a month. It's not hard to fill up on leafy greens, meat and a little cheese even when your NET carbs are below 50g. I did keto, it was sustainable in my household but I stuck to it long enough to understand WHY people on low carb say they don't count calories. It's because fat and protien is more satifying, so most low-carbers tend to eat less anyway. I have to run to lunch now, be back in 30.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I love carbs. But when I was younger and more willing to spend stupid amounts of money on unneccesary weight loss things, I signed up to a place called 'Healthy Inspirations', basically a Curves type gym that also gave you a Weight Watchers type meal plan. Their week one was a "healthy kickstart" where for 7 days straight where you can eat unlimited amounts of:

Meat - any type including bacon, seafood, eggs etc.
    Veges - anything but the starchy ones
    Dairy - Cheese, cream, butter but not milk
    Nuts and olives

Knowing nothing of calories, I was easily packing away a couple hundred grams of cheese and the same in nuts a day for 7 days along with a crapload of bacon, steak, eggs etc all cooked in butter, and lost 5kg.

I know nothing of the science, and I wasn't tracking any calories but I've often thought about that, since I know so much more now and wonder how the hell I didn't GAIN 5kg that week.

interesting…

do you think it was because you were probably eating 70% fats that you were more satiated between meals and did not resort to snacking?