why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Heres an example. Way back when, I was a member of an egg fast-stall breaker diet page. For 1-2 weeks these people ate nothing but eggs and fat (butter, mayo, coconut oil). The rule was 1 TBS fat per egg. The general amount of eggs consumed were 10-12 per day with the added fat alongside.
    The calories were huge and yet the majority lost weigh like crazy!
    I'm sorry to be off topic but I just gagged a little :s I can't stand eggs, and I can't stand the thought of eating just eggs and fat. Eggs are the one food I won't touch...

...Unless they're baked in a cake
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. But when I was younger and more willing to spend stupid amounts of money on unneccesary weight loss things, I signed up to a place called 'Healthy Inspirations', basically a Curves type gym that also gave you a Weight Watchers type meal plan. Their week one was a "healthy kickstart" where for 7 days straight where you can eat unlimited amounts of:

Meat - any type including bacon, seafood, eggs etc.
    Veges - anything but the starchy ones
    Dairy - Cheese, cream, butter but not milk
    Nuts and olives

Knowing nothing of calories, I was easily packing away a couple hundred grams of cheese and the same in nuts a day for 7 days along with a crapload of bacon, steak, eggs etc all cooked in butter, and lost 5kg.

I know nothing of the science, and I wasn't tracking any calories but I've often thought about that, since I know so much more now and wonder how the hell I didn't GAIN 5kg that week.

I think things like this are water weight more than fat loss.

I'm interested in this topic, too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Low carb still requires calorie counting. /thread

do you low carb? Just curious….

I did for about a month. It's not hard to fill up on leafy greens, meat and a little cheese even when your NET carbs are below 50g. I did keto, it was sustainable in my household but I stuck to it long enough to understand WHY people on low carb say they don't count calories. It's because fat and protien is more satifying, so most low-carbers tend to eat less anyway. I have to run to lunch now, be back in 30.

I get the "not countering calories part" ..i have my intake down to the point where I could ditch logging and I probably would not gain or lose…. I just like the data/feedback that logging gives me..

I just get mind blown when people say that low carb is not a restrictive diet or is not CICO...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. But when I was younger and more willing to spend stupid amounts of money on unneccesary weight loss things, I signed up to a place called 'Healthy Inspirations', basically a Curves type gym that also gave you a Weight Watchers type meal plan. Their week one was a "healthy kickstart" where for 7 days straight where you can eat unlimited amounts of:

Nuts and olives

Knowing nothing of calories, I was easily packing away a couple hundred grams of cheese and the same in nuts a day for 7 days along with a crapload of bacon, steak, eggs etc all cooked in butter, and lost 5kg.

I know nothing of the science, and I wasn't tracking any calories but I've often thought about that, since I know so much more now and wonder how the hell I didn't GAIN 5kg that week.

interesting…

do you think it was because you were probably eating 70% fats that you were more satiated between meals and did not resort to snacking?

That's the thing, I literally grazed on nuts all day. I'd buy the 500g pack of unsalted mixed nuts and each bag wouldn't last me more than 2-3 days. I also ate a lot of olives. Plus all 3 meals.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    *taps fingers impatiently*

I'm already running out of popcorn here!

oh you guys….

Sorry, I eat what I want, carbs and all. But I'm glad to see you ndj1979 because I wanted to thank you! You posted something a few months back that debunked the whole breakfast eating bull. I've been doing leangains 18/6 for 2 months now (since you educated me) and I've never been happier while restricting calories. Seriously happy. My family thinks so too. I know it's different for everyone but I had never, ever heard anyone say it. CICO, just all in one sitting is perfect for me! {{Hugs}} internet person I don't really know.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Nuts and olives

Virtually no carbs so losing water weight, plus fat and protein tend to be filling so you easily could have eaten fewer calories that you'd think would be in what you ate. Let's say 4-5 servings of 30g slices of cheese (were you really eating that much cheese every day?) for ~600 calories, let's say another 600 calories in nuts, then maybe 600 in dairy, veggies ,and meat together. That's only 1800 calories, which would allow plenty of people to lose weight. I'm in the 150s now and I can lose on 1800 calories despite only working out ~4, max 5hrs a week (mostly weight lifting).
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Nuts and olives

I think things like this are water weight more than fat loss.

I'm interested in this topic, too.

No doubt there was water weight there, although I was eating SO high sodium (feta cheese was my friend, and bacon, and olives and.... man, I loved those 7 days) but I've never dropped anywhere near that in water weight again.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Heres an example. Way back when, I was a member of an egg fast-stall breaker diet page. For 1-2 weeks these people ate nothing but eggs and fat (butter, mayo, coconut oil). The rule was 1 TBS fat per egg. The general amount of eggs consumed were 10-12 per day with the added fat alongside.

at 70 calories an egg that would be 840 calories for 12 eggs …so if you just 12 eggs and some fats not sure you would hit 1500 ????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    *taps fingers impatiently*

I'm already running out of popcorn here!

oh you guys….

Sorry, I eat what I want, carbs and all. But I'm glad to see you ndj1979 because I wanted to thank you! You posted something a few months back that debunked the whole breakfast eating bull. I've been doing leangains 18/6 for 2 months now (since you educated me) and I've never been happier while restricting calories. Seriously happy. My family thinks so too. I know it's different for everyone but I had never, ever heard anyone say it. CICO, just all in one sitting is perfect for me! {{Hugs}} internet person I don't really know.

well you are welcome….

another satisfied customer..

crazy part is I don't even do IF anymore..!! I actually liked IF but it was hard for me to fit into my training/work schedule...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

12 (large) eggs is approximately only 840 calories

1 tbs of oil per egg?? I find it hard to believe that anyone could even consume that much straight fat, but if so, that's about another 1200 calories if they managed to choke that down.

Total of 2040 calories. Which, depending on how big they were to start and how active they were, could easily be a calorie deficit.

Also - they did it for 1-2 weeks and (assuming they stuck to the diet exactly) had 0 total carbs? Almost all water weight and/or glycogen dump.

I'd be curious what happened when they resumed normal eating habits after the week or two.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be off topic but I just gagged a little :s I can't stand eggs, and I can't stand the thought of eating just eggs and fat. Eggs are the one food I won't touch...

...Unless they're baked in a cake

I love eggs, but not sure I could eat 10-12 a day ...
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    cosmo_momo wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwTDWBdy4F6b3Xij3gKyb5WKyuXnUFU55SDdAJ2Cc9HGcAqrVEQ

Haha this should be fun

oh yes, and I actually think I have some input, but I will read through the responses before I put myself out to be thrashed. I'm shaking already :smiley: with joy and fear ha ha great idea for a post OP!

• Alatariel75
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Nuts and olives

Virtually no carbs so losing water weight, plus fat and protein tend to be filling so you easily could have eaten fewer calories that you'd think would be in what you ate. Let's say 4-5 servings of 30g slices of cheese (were you really eating that much cheese every day?) for ~600 calories, let's say another 600 calories in nuts, then maybe 600 in dairy, veggies ,and meat together. That's only 1800 calories, which would allow plenty of people to lose weight. I'm in the 150s now and I can lose on 1800 calories despite only working out ~4, max 5hrs a week (mostly weight lifting).

:blush: yeah. Yeah, I was haahaa. I pretty much used it as an excuse to go buy 3-4 different types and just devour them. King Island smoked cheddar, feta, brie... I put it in my eggs for breakfast, added swathes to my salads for lunch, and melted it over my meat for dinner. It was disgusting. So gorgeously disgusting...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

at 70 calories an egg that would be 840 calories for 12 eggs …so if you just 12 eggs and some fats not sure you would hit 1500 ????

But 12 TBS of fat would be at least another 1200 cal or more, if we go by that story. Personally I think people were probably skipping fats however.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    let me clarify that if one has to do low carb due to medical condition then I totally get that….
  • ndj1979
    Options

But 12 TBS of fat would be at least another 1200 cal or more, if we go by that story. Personally I think people were probably skipping fats however.

12 tbs of fat a day is insane!!! If I have a 2 tbs of olive oil a day that is ALOT for me...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In.

Interested too.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

12 tbs of fat a day is insane!!! If I have a 2 tbs of olive oil a day that is ALOT for me...

How would you even do that unless you were having it in shots? I love eggs but the thought of them swimming in all that oil... gag.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in the replies to this, as I have the same questions.
    The replies are usually riddles that dance around the subject, but never actually state a simple yes or no answer.
    I hope the smart *kitten* don't come in and derail this thread :confounded:

But, can't it be fun and informative? **don't be mad, I to am very interested in this and will most likely have much to think about, so I got you there. I just mean fun, not mean :smiley: