Options
1235»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    but there aren't very many petites who are 6 feet tall

Eh, I'm close. 5'10"+ and I wear petite pants. 28" inseam: freakishly short legs and long torso.

Moral of the story: bodies are weird and vary enormously.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I am talking about this kind of thing...just completely anatomically incorrect.

c455c072ebaf8e6459efcbeca992c61a.jpg

Add a mummy tummy, and that's my body type. I'm anatomically incorrect? Who knew?

You have to at least have nipples, right? That mannequin is absolutely FLAT. What percentage of the population is like that? It has to be really...small.

I never said "real woman" and I don't want to imply that being flat chested isn't as valid as anything else...but it would be great if the mannequins looked something like an actual human body or maybe had some kind of average amount of breast tissue. Modcloth is the only place I order from where I notice this issue.

We hear a lot about average height and clothing size, but this has me wondering about average breast size. I feel like in my whole life I've ever only seen a couple of women who were almost absolutely flat like that.

I also wonder if this is something that varies a lot by ethnicity.

Speaking of putting nipples on mannequins lol Here in Miami, the South Beach mannequins have not only nipples but also quite generously endowed. .. You have to come visit lol (and yes, there are indeed women here shaped like that...)

But yeah, my grandmother is Chinese and i always just assumed got those genes from her. ..until I finally met her two years ago that is. I'm just blessed in other ways hehe!

sbchest4.jpg

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I am talking about this kind of thing...just completely anatomically incorrect.

c455c072ebaf8e6459efcbeca992c61a.jpg

Add a mummy tummy, and that's my body type. I'm anatomically incorrect? Who knew?

You have to at least have nipples, right? That mannequin is absolutely FLAT. What percentage of the population is like that? It has to be really...small.

I never said "real woman" and I don't want to imply that being flat chested isn't as valid as anything else...but it would be great if the mannequins looked something like an actual human body or maybe had some kind of average amount of breast tissue. Modcloth is the only place I order from where I notice this issue.

We hear a lot about average height and clothing size, but this has me wondering about average breast size. I feel like in my whole life I've ever only seen a couple of women who were almost absolutely flat like that.

I also wonder if this is something that varies a lot by ethnicity.

Eh, part of the issue is an optical illusion. The mannequin is small-breasted, but not flat. If you look at the angled view you can see 'em. This one is a dress that I actually have. (HELLO, CRAZY LADY, NICE PRINT)

cd5c22266b299833002123b535f8aa49.jpg?1310675460

Also, this brings me back to the original point I made about ModCloth...the customer photos! You can look through and get a better idea of how the dress really looks on ALL body types, from XS to 4XL, with varying boobage and curves at each size along the way. I usually just look at the mannequin photo to get closeups of the fabric and construction, then use the customer photos for imagining fit.

• stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love torrid, the swim wear is more fashionable and the models are at least a size 12/14.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    This isn't about who is a "real" woman and who isn't. Women of all shapes and sizes are "real" women.

This is about companies who make clothing to cater to a specific market segment with a particular body type... and yet refuse to use models with that same body type to showcase the clothes.

Whether it's 5'9" models showing petites clothes or size 6 models showing plus sizes, the problem is that the industry can't seem to wrap its head around the same diversity that it is currently profiting from.

Hmmm...overweight women aren't all of just one specific body type either. So I'm not sure how clothiers could be marketing to one body type just because it's a plus-size category.

On the one hand you're saying they're marketing to one specific body type (they aren't - plus-size women come in all shapes too) and on the other hand you're saying they should celebrate diversity.

The fashion world is never going to celebrate diversity unless it's the carefully cherry-picked "difference du jour that looks hip". This should come as a surprise to no one, including non-plus-size women who can't magically turn themselves into 5'11" heroin chic 19-year-olds (Thou Shalt Not Age) with legs up to their chins any more than most plus- size women can turn themselves into the magically hourglass-shaped non-cellulite-plagued airbrushed models their proposed clothes are currently hanging on.

The fashion world has never, as far as I can tell, hinged on realism nor been open-minded and forgiving, with a few exceptions such as Coco Chanel's war on corsets, and even then the "freeing" clothes were expected to hang on a stick, with breast-binding where necessary. I'm not sure why it's so gasp-worthy that the plus-size category isn't somehow bucking this trend.

I totally 100% agree.