What made you fat?

Options

Replies

• itsladyb
    itsladyb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It was really a mixture of eating a lot of junk food at a young age, having no self-control and emotional eating.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    Meeting my husband and eating with him. He's a big guy. Played college football and can really put it away. I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and ate along with him. I gained, he didn't. Then we had kids and I continued the trend of not paying attention in three pregnancies and have really payed the price for slacking off.

Ugh Me too, It's eat fast or don't eat at all in our house. I've gotten to the point where I am so tired of being bloated and overstuffed from eating too much to fast that I don't even care anymore. I fill my plate to what I think I can eat and let everyone else fight for seconds.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In our house growing up, we ate seconds and thirds, until the pans were empty. I grew up unable to distinguish a proper portion size because my parents hated leftovers. We would Eat until there was no more. We ate until our sides hurt and then we laid around and watched TV. Really hard to break that cycle as an adult.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just didn't pay attention and would give in to every craving and temptation. I hoped my perceived awesomeness would get me through life. It's not a good strategy.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Growing up, at a very young age (3), my mom would go off to work and my dad would watch me. He had no idea how to entertain a toddler. So when I asked for food out of boredom he'd obliged. This got paired with both parents not understanding portion size, a mom who would give me whatever I wanted, and intense bullying for my height that caused me to depression eat. As I got older I just didn't care. I ended up gaining some muscle in my shoulders on a camping trip w my dad from swimming so much and that started my health kick
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Stress followed by Depression followed by Stress followed by Depression followed by...hmmm....anyone else seeing a pattern here?
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Pasta and bread. I cannot stay away from them. :#
    Still have them pretty much everyday, but I've found balance now. Moderation is key.
  • didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eating too much. Prednisone on and off for years. When I was on it, if I didn't eat and eat and eat, I felt like murdering everyone around me, and then eating them.
    Now that my doctor and I have my health issues mostly under control with other medications, I shouldn't need it anymore. I'm back to eating like I did before I got sick. I will lose this, but it wont be anywhere near as fast as how I put it on lol. My first go round with it was 70 lbs in just over 6 months. After that, it was just a slow steady climb of about 5 lbs every time I needed it.
    My weight is coming off though!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stress led to me overeating and drinking too much. Chronic illness and injuries whenever I pushed my limits with activity, be it exercise or just being in a job that was too much for me, also contributed. But mostly it was comfort eating and drinking beer to try to relax and forget. That's the trap I have to be very careful to avoid.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pizza made me fat. & TONS of ranch dressing. Now my main struggle is the social thing... Going out to eat and having a few drinks with friends.. I don't emotionally eat anymore, and if I do I reach for healthier options. I reached 200 lbs for the first time in my life Dec 14... I had lost control. Now i'm back down to 175-ish. Just joined MFP last week, hoping for some real life changes! :smile:
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cutting off my nose to spite my face, laziness, and stubbornness.

I was normal weight through high school, but like many teenage girls, I obsessed about it. I bounced in and out of diets, and lost the same 10 lbs over and over again.

Once I was out of school, I was broke, tired and angry. (You know the usual angsty) I decided that my relationship with dieting was unhealthy mentally for me, threw out my scale and flat out ignored my weight for the next 18 years, over which I managed to put on 125 or so lbs.

When I was still broke, I ate a lot of ramen, pasta and cheap starches, which started the gain. When I was not broke, I found I really LIKED ramen, pasta and junk food. Especially since I could now season it with meat and the occasional vegetable. I let the bad eating habits continue for the next several years, combined with my favorite hobbies/interests, which are all sedentary (reading, leatherworking, video games etc)

The latest Doctors appointment brought up some concerns, not with the weight, which I'd been ignoring the last few times it had been brought up but other markers like cholesterol, blood sugar etc. That was the reason needed to actually start working at taking it off again.

I'm overweight. By a bunch, but I'm not ashamed of my body, or my looks. I'm losing weight to fix the health issues that are beginning to crop up as I get older. While I could always follow a recipe, I'm now learning to actually cook, and forcing myself to do it every day.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Laziness / Procastination and a ton of food to go with it
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Consistently taking in more calories than my body burned. The same way most of us gained weight. I absolutely loved food (still do) and poor self control took over for most of my teenage years and into young adulthood. The result: about 30 excess pounds. It was such a relief realizing that I could still enjoy food and indulge while getting down to my goal weight.

The thought of eating 2000 calories makes you cringe? Yikes - good luck with maintenance when you get there, because that's likely what you'll have to eat to stay where you want to be. The thought of eating 1500 calories per day makes me cringe - my idea of a strict cut, which is what I'm doing now, involves 1700 calories 6 days per week and 2000 calories once per week. Any less than that and I'd be one hungry, cranky girl.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was a prescription drug addict as a child. They gave me Ephedrine for my asthma which suppressed my appetite and I had no desire to eat at all. When they finally decided it was a bad idea and took me off it, I discovered food. Mashed spuds! Chips! Chocolate biscuits! Cheese!

I went from being a "skinny little famine child" to a tubster in a year.

It has taken me nearly fifty years to learn how to control my appetite.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I was always the chunky kid. Not the biggest one, but always stocky and solid. It didn't get really out of control until I had my first baby at 25. I gained 100 lbs, Which put me at 250 lbs. I'm 5'3. I've been on a roller coaster of losing and gaining the same 80 lbs now for almost 10 years with each pregnancy. Oh, and I got fat by eating too much, of everything. I'm on the downward trend this time. For good.
  • meierhofer21
    meierhofer21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Food and having babies
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Living in new jersey, I ate pizza, cheesesteaks and hoagies every day of my life. I was 205 lbs from high school through 27 years old. I move to the midwest and started eating corn fed everything and i blew up to 300 lbs. science.

Right there with you in NJ. I ate lots of the same stuff you did, cheesesteaks, pizza, etc. I'm not going to lie, I still love that food, and will never give it up completely, but it has to be as a special treat, not a daily routine, and portion control is needed. But Jersey, the Jersey Shore, Philly, etc..there is a ton of great tasting(and really bad for you) food
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Eating too many high calorie foods. Eating when I was bored.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Up until age 18, I was slim, had a nice body (mind you In my head I was fat), and at 5'9 I was a size 6-8. At 19 I started working in the restaurant business and was able to afford my own unhealthy foods and I was regularly eating white castle, papa john's, McDonald's, etc etc. It was like that up until 5 months ago, when I saw a photo of myself and realized how big I'd really gotten and at that point I was 218 pounds.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Eating and drinking too much.
    me too