How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I can hit my nutrition goals in 1200 with careful planning, but I'm maintaining now so as a practical matter i add snacks/treats to that. Getting 100g protein and 25g fiber at minimum does the trick for me.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How can people do Kale?? Its so great for you but hot damn I can't seem to make it work for me!! Any advice?
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    sushi4days wrote: »
    How can people do Kale?? Its so great for you but hot damn I can't seem to make it work for me!! Any advice?

Skip the kale and eat spinach.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I add kale to all my smoothies. I've never noticed any taste. I also add a banana, raw egg, chocolate protein powder, chocolate fibre powder and cottage cheese. Maybe they mask the taste. I only add 15-25g of the kale as I can't fit any more in!

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love kale in a salad. Took some getting used to, but now I like it. Though, admittedly I make a wilted salad. I make a regular salad and then toss it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to wilt it up a bit and then eat it.

1200 calories isn't too bad if you've cleaned up your eating. I mean, if you do 1200 calories on junk food you will feel starved. I eat several times a day, a couple ounces of meat and some kind of veg or fruit, I would say around 5 times a day.

Today, I ate 12 ounces of shrimp (spread throughout the day) and quite a bit of collard greens and had popcorn as a snack. My calories were around 1040. I had two cups of coffee with milk and sugar. I also had 10 ounces of pineapple. That's a lot of pineapple.

I mean, I'm hungry. But, I'm always hungry. I could eat half a chicken and still be hungry. I could eat a whole bag of chips and still be hungry. I can eat a whole pizza all by myself in one sitting and still want to have popcorn later.
    In other words, of course I'm hungry on 1200 calories or less. BUT, my body is an idiot who never says I'm full anyways. SO, it's either hungry and losing weight OR hungry and gaining weight. Either way, the answer is hungry.

If I'm feeling hungry and I just ate, I'll make a deal with myself that I can eat a bit more if I do 20 minutes of some random workout video on Youtube. Generally, ten minutes in I decide that I don't want to eat more after all.. lol In fact, I just want to sit quietly, drink my water and contemplate my sins of overeating.

• rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 calories a day. The first couple of weeks it was difficult, but I stuck to it. Whenever I'd feel like grabbing something to eat(that I didn't need), I'd go to the Success Stories and look at the before-and-after pictures. :) This usually occurred later at night, so reading some success stories or looking up new recipes passed some time until it was time for a cup of tea and bed.
    I'm on my seventh week and things are a lot better. I've always been more of a snacker than a meal person(which is how I gained weight), so I just make sure I save calories for snacks. Pretzel sticks get me through every day. (*)
    I don't eat meat, but I regularly eat meat substitutes. I eat fruits and veggies every day, I don't drink my calories, I use Cashew, Almond, or Coconut milk for recipes that would normally require milk, or for smoothies. And I always seek out a lower calorie version of something I want to eat. For instance, I have peanut butter powder that I use in place of PB for smoothies. I don't eat very many bread products, I extend an egg with added egg whites(I make delicious omelets), and I make large pots of veggie soups or chili. I've also become a big fan of Chobani and Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt cups.
    I don't feel deprived, I'm just very conscious of quantity. I've even been able to have some Cadbury creme eggs the last two days, because I got busy cleaning and didn't eat as many calories earlier in the day.
    Seltzer water helps to curb a grumbly stomach while I prepare dinner, and I usually chew a piece of gum when I head out of the house.

I used to snack on junk all day and night long, so this is really good for me to reprogram my boredom response.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    I kept a food journal for a long time (way before coming here) and we discussed it at length. He suggested I stay away from soy and anything that is inflammatory food wise. Causing a physical reaction (without sounding gross) There was more than just soy on the list however one of the worst offenders.

That just seems like something a GI would be more likely to diagnose. I'd question an endo giving dietary advice that isn't directly related to endocrinology.

When I'm seeing him for a thyroid condition he made all sorts of suggestions from sleep studies to suggesting a special dietitian. He only offered advice and didn't diagnose anything other than my hashimoto's thyroid condition which I just found out the other day is still cancer free yay.
  • rayw89
    Options
    Oh, and everything gets measured! A tsp. of olive oils works just as well as a tablespoon!
  • joyli77
    joyli77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lots of salad, fruit, veggies, egg whites, turkey, and lots of water (with lemon, mint and cucumbers).

This is actually a detox water...you can also add some berries or orange slices to it to augment the flavor and maintain the benefits. It reallllly works to flush your system if you drink enough of it and eat clean simultaneously.
  • American_Beauty
    American_Beauty Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started in November, the first few weeks were torture (mercy only knows what I was eating calorie wise before I started MFP) I even raised mine to 1350 for awhile to adjust. Now March almost 20 pounds lost almost half way to goal, it's not hard at all. The days I seem to think I've gone over I don't by much. My secret is LOTS of water, healthy smaller choices and keep moving. Each day is new and I am not perfect by any means. It comes with time, your body adjusts and you begin to feel fuller longer. Best wishes on your journey, feel free to add me if you like :smile:
  • joyli77
    joyli77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I kept a food journal for a long time (way before coming here) and we discussed it at length. He suggested I stay away from soy and anything that is inflammatory food wise. Causing a physical reaction (without sounding gross) There was more than just soy on the list however one of the worst offenders.

That just seems like something a GI would be more likely to diagnose. I'd question an endo giving dietary advice that isn't directly related to endocrinology.

When I'm seeing him for a thyroid condition he made all sorts of suggestions from sleep studies to suggesting a special dietitian. He only offered advice and didn't diagnose anything other than my hashimoto's thyroid condition which I just found out the other day is still cancer free yay.

Glad to hear you're diagnosis is benign!
  • rayw89
    Options

I tried Kale in a smoothie once, and it didn't get blended properly, which made me very nausea(think drinking kale chunks). :/ But Kale has redeemed itself with me now. I make a Kale and Pinto bean soup(with carrots, red bell pepper, onion, veggie stock, and seasoning), and I love it!
    He only offered advice and didn't diagnose anything other than my hashimoto's thyroid condition which I just found out the other day is still cancer free yay.
    Yay indeed! (*)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hi @jt880, have you spoken with your doctor about Tempeh? While a soy product, there are some significant differences that *may* (under the advice of a physician) be open to you. Fermenting is a powerful advantage. Might be worth a chat, if you haven't done so already. Indeed it stinks not to be able to eat things good for us, my mom loves grapefruit, but with high blood pressure medicine in her routine each day, it's a no-no. Here is some reading on Tempeh: http://paleoleap.com/dangers-soy/

My endo says no to anything soy based I may experiment with it though as long as i'm close to a bathroom :)

Why?

Its an allergy more or less.

That makes it even more of a "why?" Why would you consider deliberately consuming something your body considers an allergen? Why would you consider deliberately consuming a food you've never eaten before that you need to be "close to a bathroom" to consume?
  • nkenn84
    nkenn84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat a lot more protein in my diet and that really does help me be able to stay at or around my 1200 calorie goal. Also I have found that the more protein I eat and the more water I drink the less sore I am after a hard workout. Friday I drank a gallon of water by day's end and ate a lot of protein. For my workout I did Turbo Jam for 30 minutes, which is basically all squats and ab work... I was drenched in sweat by the end of it and thought I would be so sore the next day... But I wasn't. I feel great and can't wait to do it again. I don't have crazy hunger pains either... Just keep it healthy!
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. lots of veggies, fruits and cottage cheese for snacks. veggie soups for work lunches. a piece of meat / hard-boiled egg and-or tuna, green veggies, beans for dinner - I turn it into a salad since it means less plates to clean, heh. I work out, so I earn some calories and have a chocolate treat almost every day - makes me feel sane. also learned that frozen fruits, cottage cheese and a tsp of low fat cocoa makes me feel as though I'm having a sweet treat (my taste buds have changed).
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    With much difficulty. 1200 is not easy at all. I would get someone to figure out how much you should be eating, if you are struggling then at some point you'd probably give up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

My goal is 1270. I pre-log my food for the day. I eat 100 -200 extra calories usually and I exercise daily to accomadate that. I have not cut foods out of my diet and I am not hungry all the time. I try to get enough protein, fat and fiber.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Protein, and fruit, veggies, etc. Smaller portions. Prevent getting hungry (and overeating) by frequent snacking.

I do eat back some of my exercise calories though, so I usually eat around the 1300-1400 range when all is said and done.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    whatatime wrote: »
    Protein, and fruit, veggies, etc. Smaller portions. Prevent getting hungry (and overeating) by frequent snacking.

I do eat back some of my exercise calories though, so I usually eat around the 1300-1400 range when all is said and done.

Same here. When I eat back part of my exercise calories, I generally manage to consume 1400. I can still manage the 1200 calories on days I don't get much exercise, usually by eating an egg, cheese, and toast for breakfast, jello and a small TV dinner or soup for lunch, a salad with meat, egg, veggies, and a vinaigrette dressing for dinner and a couple of small snacks. I fill in the gaps both types of days with tea and coffee, both of which I drink with sweetener and milk.

• Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is totally doable. I have about 65lbs to lose and am starting with 1200 calories a day, 2 pounds a week. It works for me and it seems like it works for many others on here as well. Not sure why so many people always post that it's too much to lose a week. I go by what my doc and dietician say and 2 pounds a week is fine with them. If they said otherwise, I would adjust.