Walking 10,000 steps

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's about a 80 step walk to the bathroom from my desk. Now I walk to the end of the hallway, down to the first floor, back to my end, then back up to my floor to go. I just turned my 80 step walk into a 400 step walk. I also set timers on my phone so that it reminds me to go for a short walk every 2 hours. Either around the building a few times when the weather is nice, or down to the other end, up a flight, back, up a flight, etc.
    When I need to go to someone else's desk I also take the long way.

Doing this, I took what used to be 3000 steps at work and turned it into 5000 steps. I need to get that higher though. That doesn't count any walks at lunch, but soon it will be too hot to walk at lunch. I don't want to get back to the office all sweaty and stinky.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent app for an android phone that can measure steps? I don't have a fitbit or any of those devices. I'd bet I wouldn't even reach 1000 steps a day :disappointed:

MapMyWalk is what I used before a fitbit. It maps the route, tells you how many cals you have burned etc. 10000 steps is @4.5 miles, so map out a route for that and you are golden. I used several smaller neighborhood loops before fitbit to do it.

Digifit will also track the cals burned for you on a walk. I believe it also tells you how far you have walked in miles, but don't have it in front of me. I used that before mapmywalk.

Fitbit is easier, but the apps are free. Whatever works.

I really wanted to stop having to use a heart rate monitor, I kept forgetting it etc. when going to the rec center, the fitbit is just on me all the time. Easypeasy.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I work from home, sometimes I don't leave the house for days
    I've already walked up and down my street 5 times this morning :wink:

Woo-hoo!

Soon you will be walking around the block, walking to the grocery store, dancing around like a crazy person...maybe even going to the gym!

haha did I sense a touch of sarcasm there? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Woo-hoo!

Soon you will be walking around the block, walking to the grocery store, dancing around like a crazy person...maybe even going to the gym!

haha did I sense a touch of sarcasm there? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not really...just amused to see you coming over to the dark side. )
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I sound like a dopey kid! I've got no one to blame but myself. And being a slack *kitten* is something I'm definitely not proud of!
    This ought to amuse you. There I was at 6:30 this morning in my dressing gown and slippers trudging up and down the street with my cat and dog toddling along behind me. It's a little culdesac, so not too many neighbours to shock :wink:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Same, and I can't even pretend I haven't marched around my house in an effort to get to 10,000. I have a dumb rule for myself that I don't count purposeful exercise as part of those steps and then I go marching around the house to get those steps, which is purposeful exercise . . .
  • Christine_72
    Options

Same, and I can't even pretend I haven't marched around my house in an effort to get to 10,000. I have a dumb rule for myself that I don't count purposeful exercise as part of those steps and then I go marching around the house to get those steps, which is purposeful exercise . . .

:laugh: Every little bit helps.
    Honestly it's pretty easy to walk up and down the hallway or back yard a few times or take the long way to get there. I'm determined to get those steps in!
  • thorsonej
    thorsonej Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how different everyone's situation is. I average 13k-15k steps a day without any extra exercise. I teach Automotive Technology. My shop is 180'x 90'. I bounce around it like a ping pong ball all day long. The main office for the school is exactly a tenth of a mile from my office door. I really don't have a choice but to move a ton. I knew I walked quite a bit, but didn't know just how much until I got a fitbit.

Weekends are tougher. I usually hit 10k, but it takes some effort. I can see how it would be difficult for someone with a sedentary job to hit that mark without making a concerted effort. I find myself making excuses to get up and move. It's tough right now, because the weather in Upstate New York this time of year isn't the greatest, so I have to be a little more creative about getting the steps in. Walking outside isn't really an option until the weather improves..........man, I'm sick of winter LOL.

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    they don't count steps ... eg fitbit is on your arm so it's counting your arm movement, and not your feet.
    The algorithm is supposed to get your steps, it is after all a pedometer with added features...Zips and Ones are not worn on your wrist, they go in a little case that you can clip to your bra, pocket or whatever.

• Christine_72
    Options
    If these gadgets only worked by the swing of your arm. Then they'd be useless if you were pushing a shopping cart or stroller etc etc
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If these gadgets only worked by the swing of your arm. Then they'd be useless if you were pushing a shopping cart or stroller etc etc

Correct. Put it in your pocket when you push a cart, or do what I do and pull the cart with your other arm.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I can trick my Fitbit Flex by doing a cross body motion (standing in place and twisting quickly from side to side) but that would be cheating (Yes, I tried it, just to see what it would take to get a false step). It's easier just to pace my hallway.

~Lyssa
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    they don't count steps ... eg fitbit is on your arm so it's counting your arm movement, and not your feet.

Not all are worn on the arm. Mine is clipped in my bra
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I think the highest I have is like 6k and that includes 20 mins in a treadmill.

I don't pay too much attention to it. I picked sedentary for a reason in the mfp settings.

Not going to get many steps sitting at a desk for 8 hours including a 30 min lunch break.

I sit at a desk for 12 hours a day and I get 10k in at a minimum. I get up every hour and do 500-1000 steps
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Correct. Put it in your pocket when you push a cart, or do what I do and pull the cart with your other arm.

Won't work for everyone but I use the large band and put it on my ankle when I am at the store or pushing a stroller. Pocket works as well...

• ashlygraves
    Options
    Here tis.... I finally got a step tracker and my grand total of steps yesterday was.. 2381.
    How bloody depressing! That's my average day too. It has definitely spurred me on to do more!

Now you know where to go from here. I started at a measly 1000. These awesome folks gave me ideas and support so I made it 3000 the next 2 days. Then I went crazy and walked 7 miles (ouch) for the first time since my foot surgery. So I reached 23000 steps. Took me a day to recover from that. Last couple days I hit 5000 I think. My goal is 6000 and when I'm hitting that for a few days I'm going up another 1000. My goal is 10000 by end of April. Either way I'm making progress so I'm happy.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Here tis.... I finally got a step tracker and my grand total of steps yesterday was.. 2381.
    How bloody depressing! That's my average day too. It has definitely spurred me on to do more!

Now you know where to go from here. I started at a measly 1000. These awesome folks gave me ideas and support so I made it 3000 the next 2 days. Then I went crazy and walked 7 miles (ouch) for the first time since my foot surgery. So I reached 23000 steps. Took me a day to recover from that. Last couple days I hit 5000 I think. My goal is 6000 and when I'm hitting that for a few days I'm going up another 1000. My goal is 10000 by end of April. Either way I'm making progress so I'm happy.

way to go :bigsmile:

It's 2pm here now and I'm up to 3000 steps. I'll walk my dog later which will bump it up significantly

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't like to wear down the battery on my phone, so I bought an Omron pedometer. It's one you can just put in your pocket and it saves the last 7 days. I might end up a bit shy of 10,000 today, but I was quite a bit over yesterday.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I don't like to wear down the battery on my phone, so I bought an Omron pedometer. It's one you can just put in your pocket and it saves the last 7 days. I might end up a bit shy of 10,000 today, but I was quite a bit over yesterday.

I downloaded "noom walk" on my phone. The first day I had my phone in my hand all day just to check if it's accurate, and it seems pretty spot on. The only annoying thing is I miss out on counting a lot of steps when my phone is charging, which is at least twice a day!
    A fit bit is on my wishlist :)

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    at 100 steps a minute I have to walk 1h40 to get in 10,000. It is time consuming so I am frequently short of that target.