Stop the madness!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    geez...you can tell I've not posted on the forums in forever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You should really tell them this nicely when they ask instead of shaming them on a separate thread for being "stupid." That's all ...

I'm not seeing a shaming thread, however we've got two issues; basic netiquette and understanding ones own health and fitness objectives.

I see this as largely about the first of those.

It doesn't even need the search function, skimming the first page of the forum generally demonstrates the same points coming up repeatedly. Moving to the second page just corroborates that.

Really? Given the tone and word choice of the original post I will just have to disagree with you on that but everything else you've said makes sense.

it's not shaming- it's exasperation. not the same.

Okay - I'll buy that.

From the receiver's perspective, however: more like shaming. My dad never called me "stupid" because ... shaming. Same idea. I do get the frustration, but that's coming from those of you/us who follow the forums regularly - so you see person after person after person posting similar questions and so - Groundhog Day (loved that comment btw). Right, but to the person who is asking what they believe to be a legitimate question ... we could just practice a little patience - that's all. And ironically, the OP in this thread (whose comments I have always agreed with 100% when I've seen them) was again very to-the-point and not abrasive at all when he commented on a running-or-walking thread just before posting this. I quoted his comment as a +1. We're on the same page.

It just surprised me to see all the open exasperation (not just OP but predictably all those that followed) immediately following. Idk. Some people aren't always going to use the resources available to them as effectively/efficiently as others.

Maybe it's the teacher/Pollyanna idealist in me. (Damn her... always getting me into trouble.)

Nods- and I'd agree sometimes it's perceived that way- especially if you aren't familar with forums at all. That seems to be a common trend- people who are looking for spoon fed information and or new to forum world. I mean- you've been here long enough- the trend lines are so strong we have a bingo card for it.

That's not to say we as regulars CAN"T do better- but sometimes it IS really exasperating. LOL- not an excuse to be mean- just- patience is not never ending LOL. Sometimes it just needs to be said LOL.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You should really tell them this nicely when they ask instead of shaming them on a separate thread for being "stupid." That's all ...

I'm not seeing a shaming thread, however we've got two issues; basic netiquette and understanding ones own health and fitness objectives.

I see this as largely about the first of those.

It doesn't even need the search function, skimming the first page of the forum generally demonstrates the same points coming up repeatedly. Moving to the second page just corroborates that.

Really? Given the tone and word choice of the original post I will just have to disagree with you on that but everything else you've said makes sense.

it's not shaming- it's exasperation. not the same.

Okay - I'll buy that.

From the receiver's perspective, however: more like shaming. My dad never called me "stupid" because ... shaming. Same idea. I do get the frustration, but that's coming from those of you/us who follow the forums regularly - so you see person after person after person posting similar questions and so - Groundhog Day (loved that comment btw). Right, but to the person who is asking what they believe to be a legitimate question ... we could just practice a little patience - that's all. And ironically, the OP in this thread (whose comments I have always agreed with 100% when I've seen them) was again very to-the-point and not abrasive at all when he commented on a running-or-walking thread just before posting this. I quoted his comment as a +1. We're on the same page.

It just surprised me to see all the open exasperation (not just OP but predictably all those that followed) immediately following. Idk. Some people aren't always going to use the resources available to them as effectively/efficiently as others.

Maybe it's the teacher/Pollyanna idealist in me. (Damn her... always getting me into trouble.)

Nods- and I'd agree sometimes it's perceived that way- especially if you aren't familar with forums at all. That seems to be a common trend- people who are looking for spoon fed information and or new to forum world. I mean- you've been here long enough- the trend lines are so strong we have a bingo card for it.

That's not to say we as regulars CAN"T do better- but sometimes it IS really exasperating. LOL- not an excuse to be mean- just- patience is not never ending LOL. Sometimes it just needs to be said LOL.

We need a like button.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not shaming anyone. Everyone does and says stupid things. Doesn't make you stupid. I include myself here (frequently)

Stephen Hawking wrote an article recently saying that Judgement Day would soon be upon us. He's a pretty smart guy. I still think it was a stupid thing to say... (or he's re-watched his Terminator boxset too many times.).

I've never aimed to put any individual down in any of my posts. It's not the way I roll. Don't confuse plain speaking with denegration.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    right on.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Even activities you dislike at first you can LEARN to enjoy and be passionate about based on the results they gave you. I hate zumba i tried to like it i really did try to like it and maybe i did for a few months. But i dont i hate zumba, but i do it 2 x a week and actually look forward to doing it even though i hate it. First time i did spin class, hell fist 10 times i did spin class I dreaded it. Oh man do i love spin class i do spin class 2 - 3 times a week and would do it every day if i could because I LOVE IT. I started both of those activities from reading from other people that it cut there weight fast and was a wild ride. Without encouragement and testimony from other people dude i would have never did spin class because it looks intimidating.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    *first not fist
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    *first not fist

You can edit your posts up to an hour if you like, this isn't your wall. :)