I'm over it.

Options
124»

Replies

• kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    so... here's my story... the short of it...

March-June 2012 -- Weight Watchers
    June-October 2012 - nothing
    October 2012-February 2013 - MFP
    February-May 2013 - MFP (inconsistantly)
    May 2013-Present (MFP...ish)

In short, i'm over it. I'm over restricting myself, working my butt off at a gym, fad diets, weightloss supplements, etc and etc. only to hit a plateau and get stuck when I only have 15 more pounds to go. Then I lose motivation, gain 5-10 lbs back, get tired of the weight gain, restrict again... and the vicious cycle goes on and on. I'm tired of feeling like a sow, but at the same time I've lost all motivation to do anything about it. *sigh*

Anyone have any motivation or tips on how to make this better? Because, honestly, I'm over it (which I've said 27 times already).

Maybe you should ask yourself what your motivation IS? What kind of goals have you set? For some people, an aesthetic goal is enough to motivate. I wanted to look good in a bikini. When I got stuck 11 pounds above my goal weight, I got frustrated. When I realized I already looked good in the bikini, I slowed down. I wanted to run a 5K. When I ran my race, I signed up for a 10K. When I ran that, I thought "now what?"

No matter what your goal is, you are going to need to take smaller steps to reach it. You're going to make several small efforts every damn day until you get there. Changing your body and lifestyle is going to require you to change some of your habits. You may get frustrated with yourself, but know that you are making progress no matter how small. It will take time.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    OP,

get into the Eat Train Progress group and start learning WHY things work and you won't ever have to worry about being frustrated about any of this again.

start by reading all the important threads linked from here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

those will help you figure out what your real calorie goal should be, what your macros should be, the various things that can help you with your weight loss, what won't, etc.

break the yo-yo'ing cycle forever.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Agree with this, too. A ton of excellent information and an amazing resource of really knowledgable people in there.

OP, I'm really happy for you. You're about to find out that losing weight doesn't have to be painful at all, and that's a truly freeing discovery. I know, because I did all the stuff that didn't work, too. The only thing that works is so beautifully simple that it seems too easy to be true. You're in luck. :flowerforyou:

A third vote for this group. You'll get very good advice and learn a heck of a lot.

And more generally no one here can motivate you if you just don't care. You need to find it in yourself somewhere and stick to it.

When I finally said "enough" in January I took a very hard look at myself and what I was doing. I realized that certain places, certain types of food and certain people led me to eating/drinking far more than I should. Those things were cut out or severely restricted. I started taking the time to cook my own food and plan out my meals in advance. And I started making exercise a habit. Running at first and now a mix of running and heavy lifting, soon to add Crossfit to the mix.

If you can't find the motivation internally I'm sorry to say that you will never stick to any plan. I hope you can find it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I promise you. You should try insanity.

What is Insanity?

It's a home based Pylometric workout - lost of jumping etc.
    It's sold by Beach Body, same company as p90x, ChaLEAN, and Brazil Butt Lift.
    It's a pyramid scheme company that will also try to sell you other products within every workout DVD.

Insanity is a tough workout, not taking that away from it.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Honestly? The best advice I could give would be to dig deep and get over it.

I think she's already over it.

My advice would be to get under it.

I agree...getting to the root of the problem would be key. :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, you should get "over" dieting. WW sucks and they are partially responsible for my years of thinking I was eating "healthy" food when it was anything but, and destroying my health in the process. Low fat/high carb lifestyle is NOT healthy.

What one eats matters. Yes it does. But for those that don't think so, you haven't walked in my shoes. NOTHING else worked for me. Malnourishment = incessantly struggling with hunger and being sick (physically, emotionally, and spiritually).

I don't do excessive cardio, just play outside and I only do sporadic body weight exercises. The real secret of my success is my food choice. What I eat has made me the healthiest that I have ever been and I'm losing weight effortlessly (albeit slowly after the first 50 pounds). It does NOT have to be hard and miserable. Trying changing focus to health and the weight will go on it's own.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can calculate here, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. It will look like a lot of calories, and it is, because you can eat that much and lose.

Ok, when I did the calculator, this is what I got:

BMR: 1436
    TDEE: 1975

So you should be eating approximately 1750 calories per day to lose weight

It sounds like a lot, I know. But you already know that over-restricting didn't work for you, so it's time to try something better.

Slowly increase your calories by about 100 per week until you get to 1750, then sit there for a month. The weight will start dropping.

Be super accurate with your logging. Respect your macros. This truly works.

This worked for me!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a Sprint Tri. Now instead of "cardio" and " dieting" you are "training" and "fueling your workouts".