Extra session with trainer or bottle of wine....

Options
takumar
takumar Posts: 42
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Both cost $50 but Mr. BMI 39 chooses the wine. Instead of a weekly session with his personal trainer I suggested he double up- twice a week for just a month.
My friend said not in the budget; yet recently asked me to pick up several bottles of a notable wine on sale. He replied that the wine was too good a deal to pass up, more tangible and more immediate than workouts. Once a week with the trainer was good enough as he waddled out of the restaurant.
I just managed a wry smile.

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    A trainer is not going to create weight loss. Sure, the trainer can help him, but he needs to want it and work at it. If he wants to drink wine in moderation, then so what? Wine is delicious.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am glad I don't have such a judgy friend......
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Who needs enemies with a friend like you, amirite?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Um.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You must be fun at parties.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP must be the life of the party ….
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personally, outside of some pretty specific training goals, I'd say more than one session per week with a trainer is a waste of $$$. I work with a coach and one of the first things he told me was that controlling my weight was all on me...he could give nutritional advice and obviously work me out, but he couldn't make me lose weight.

Losing weight is largely a matter of dietary intake, not working with a trainer or not. I train my *kitten* off and I've lost weight, maintained weight, and done a bulk cycle...the difference between those three objectives wasn't working with my coach or any exercise I was doing...it was my diet overall.

I would also add that I drink wine pretty regularly...I like wine.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much a no-brainer.

#teamwine
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm with OP on this one. Life is about choices, this one seems pretty clear cut.

1: consume same, exercise more (4 x sessions @ ~500 calories ea, 2,000 calories lost)
    2: consume more, exercise same (1 x bottle @ 605 calories ea, 600 calories gained)

The reason OP's friend got to BMI 39 was always going option 2.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I assume the friend complains about wanting to lose weight but doesn't take the appropriate actions?

I have a facebook friend that whines and complains about not losing weight, yet she hates to work out and drinks a bottle or more of wine every day. Everyone has to make their own decisions, just don't complain the weight isn't coming off when you refuse to make any concessions.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    I'm with OP on this one. Life is about choices, this one seems pretty clear cut.

1: consume same, exercise more (4 x sessions @ ~500 calories ea, 2,000 calories lost)
    2: consume more, exercise same (1 x bottle @ 605 calories ea, 600 calories gained)

The reason OP's friend got to BMI 39 was always going option 2.

Clearly those are the only options. OP's friend is doomed.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'd have picked the vino as well. Ill cut other things thanks.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here’s the thing. The OP is right, he’s just addressing the wrong party. A good friend will kick you in the butt when you need it.

I’m guessing this same friend complains about not getting good service from his trainer. He says he’s eating well, good on his macros, has his diet dialed in. Yet, not seeing results, so it must be someone else’s fault.

We all have a friend/family member/coworker like this. So, OP, are you saying the to them?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wine or workout?

0fc.gif
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    takumar wrote: »
    Once a week with the trainer was good enough as he waddled out of the restaurant.

This line just destroyed all credibility IMO. I would hate to think that my friends are making fun of my weight behind my back.

He has a trainer once a week, which is presumably more than he had when he got up to that BMI. The OP never said that he complained about not losing weight, just that he has decided where his friend should spend his money.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

#teamwine

Agreed. I would Always pick the wine. All trainers are a waste of time and money. And they're terrible people too. They don't deserve the money and should all starve. But wine, however, will always be there for me. Wine won't let me down. Wine deserves that sweet sweet money.

#UpWithWine
    #DownWithTrainers
    #UpWithDramaFriends

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

#teamwine

Agreed. I would Always pick the wine. All trainers are a waste of time and money. And they're terrible people too. They don't deserve the money and should all starve. But wine, however, will always be there for me. Wine won't let me down. Wine deserves that sweet sweet money.

#UpWithWine
    #DownWithTrainers
    #UpWithDramaFriends

I mean...have you ever tried to talk to a trainer? I need a glass of wine just thinking about it.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I vote both
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

#teamwine

#UpWithWine
    #DownWithTrainers
    #UpWithDramaFriends

Personal Training, not even once.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

#teamwine

#UpWithWine
    #DownWithTrainers
    #UpWithDramaFriends

I mean...have you ever tried to talk to a trainer? I need a glass of wine just thinking about it.

It's the only way